Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times

Advertisements

Looks like Walmart can no longer afford to pay their workers poverty wages:

Customers Flee Wal-Mart Empty Shelves for Target, Costco - Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 07:37 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
It's just a company with really bad management. Things are further complicated that the management keeps wanting to make artificial sales quotas provided by Wall St even if doing so harms the long term interests of the company. For example, not hiring enough staff to do basic things like stalk store shelves. It is the classic American business ethic of stressing short term performance at the expense of long term performance.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:38 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
they pay their managers crap too. and work them 50-60 hours....i work with a lady that recently left walmart..

you get what you pay for in products and services.. but also employees.. whether there is a federal standard of minimum wage or not.. the market will determine the work ethic of 7.25 per hour.. and many employers have found that if you paid say 14.50 per hour.. you in many cases get more than double the amount of work ethic and performance out of one person vs two people at 7.25 per hour..
I've had employees that could and WOULD do the equivalent work of 3 of my most terribly lazy and unmotivated employees..
and it's easy to say.. just get rid of them.. but unfortunately if your business model's success is dependent on paying the bare minimum or close to it..then you're going to be plagued with a horrendous revolving door of employees..which is costly in it's own right..

Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Looks like Walmart can no longer afford to pay their workers poverty wages:

Customers Flee Wal-Mart Empty Shelves for Target, Costco - Yahoo! Finance
Just the way the market is supposed to work and if Wal-Mart wants to correct the problem they will have to attract and retain talent. To do that will require higher wages. You see how that works liberals and no govt mandate is needed.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:45 PM

157 posts, read 102,880 times
Good. I will be glad to see it disappear.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
If you pay only enough to get a live body in the position then you get what you pay for.

Costco and Target attract good talent, and the companies reap the benefits.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
If you pay only enough to get a live body in the position then you get what you pay for.

Costco and Target attract good talent, and the companies reap the benefits.
Target, gag me! Their CEO contributed to Michelle Bachmann's campaign and an anti-gay marriage candidate for MN gov.
Target's tea bag-loving CEO lands company in hot water - Minneapolis - News - The Blotter

Then there was this at Thanksgiving:
Target's decision to open Thanksgiving evening sparks renewed "save Thanksgiving" petitions - Minneapolis - News - The Blotter

Old 03-26-2013, 07:58 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It's just a company with really bad management. Things are further complicated that the management keeps wanting to make artificial sales quotas provided by Wall St even if doing so harms the long term interests of the company. For example, not hiring enough staff to do basic things like stalk store shelves. It is the classic American business ethic of stressing short term performance at the expense of long term performance.
True or not keeping up with trends.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:10 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I started going to Walmart last year because it was conveniently located to my job. I was really surprised at how often I go in there to buy something, and the shelf is bare. That is anathema in retail, because that lost sale means lost profit.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Sales are down..no revenue = no additional employees.

Too poor to hire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies