Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 04:40 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,825,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
I thought BHO would solve all this. Yet things are worse? The shock!
Obama isn't a bad person, he just kinda goes along to get along, and when you do that with the established Washington crowd, not much is going to happen. Not much would have happened with Romney either, except that he probably would have bombed Iran. I know for sure that if W was still in office we would have hit at least 3 countires by now, because as you know, he's our 'WAR' president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 06:14 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,830,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Being able to refinance student loans at lower rates - like millions of homeowners have been doing with their underwater mortgages - would help a lot. In the Personal Finance forum someone bragged about their 1.625 (or something like that) percent student loan interest rate, while I'm getting clobbered at 7 percent.
I know someone who is underwater and can't get a damn bit of help.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:20 PM

33,012 posts, read 27,557,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I know someone who is underwater and can't get a damn bit of help.

Unless they have a need to sell before the mortgage is paid off, they are underwater only temporarily (while I, thanks to onerous fees and penalties, have 38 years left on my student loans, which means I will probably never be able to pay them off in my lifetime, although to date I have paid more than twice the amount I borrowed). With the rising housing market, they are probably making progress every day in climbing out of the hole, while the same rising housing market puts me deeper in the hole.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Unless they have a need to sell before the mortgage is paid off, they are underwater only temporarily (while I, thanks to onerous fees and penalties, have 38 years left on my student loans, which means I will probably never be able to pay them off in my lifetime, although to date I have paid more than twice the amount I borrowed). With the rising housing market, they are probably making progress every day in climbing out of the hole, while the same rising housing market puts me deeper in the hole.
First freemkt, believe it or not I can sympathize with you but you are making assumptions that are wrong. Just like you many people hoped for help but all I hear is green energy, gay rights, gun rights but what about the economy, jobs and the American people who need help???

Really, do you think Obama's green energy is going to help you? Although I don't like politicians in general. I never believed that Obama was anything different and so far I am right, I do not see him doing much to help anyone, whites, blacks, yellows, poor.

So now I take my sympathies back. It was so obvious for anyone who looked past the rhetoric and too many people believed even though the evidence against believing was there. I guess when one is desperate they will believe anything even when it does not make sense.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
I thought BHO would solve all this. Yet things are worse? The shock!

Most of these people are probably better off today than they would be under Romney and Ryan, i.e. things could be worse for them.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
First freemkt, believe it or not I can sympathize with you but you are making assumptions that are wrong. Just like you many people hoped for help but all I hear is green energy, gay rights, gun rights but what about the economy, jobs and the American people who need help???

Really, do you think Obama's green energy is going to help you? Although I don't like politicians in general. I never believed that Obama was anything different and so far I am right, I do not see him doing much to help anyone, whites, blacks, yellows, poor.

So now I take my sympathies back. It was so obvious for anyone who looked past the rhetoric and too many people believed even though the evidence against believing was there. I guess when one is desperate they will believe anything even when it does not make sense.

Sigh, once again, don't blame me, I voted for Romney. I understand that his green energy is part of his plan to make electricity prices necessarily skyrocket.

But today's recovering housing values are good for your underwater homeowners and probably bad for me.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Sigh, once again, don't blame me, I voted for Romney. I understand that his green energy is part of his plan to make electricity prices necessarily skyrocket.

But today's recovering housing values are good for your underwater homeowners and probably bad for me.
It is not my house that is underwater. Anyway, no not really good. The values are not rising that fast, people are out of work, value of the dollar is going down meaning people can afford even less.

Yes, the cost of electricity will skyrocket. They have it planned and the plan is that prices are so high that people will welcome and accept alternative green energy. Now can they pull off keeping green energy within reasonable rates? I doubt it but it will cost the American taxpayer tons of money.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:16 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,825,054 times
Quote:
A real estate loan uses the property as collateral, while a student loan uses the student's future earning capacity as collateral. Unfortunately many students are sold a bill of goods by the school, especially the 'online' universities. There's lots of schools that will get you to sign for a student loan without caring whether or not the loan gets repaid, because it is backed by the taxpayer. It's like the questionable real estate loans that the taxpayer had to bear. The schools need to be held at least partially responsible for the loan in some way, if their graduates can't land a job. I took a student loan at U of Il, when I was driving a cab and supporting myself, so I needed it. I made sure I took courses that would land me a decent paying job. Some kids take out loans and take Mickey Mouse courses and then wonder why they can't pay it off, with or without a degree.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:57 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,492,044 times
Quote:
It is not my house that is underwater. Anyway, no not really good. The values are not rising that fast, people are out of work, value of the dollar is going down meaning people can afford even less.

Yes, the cost of electricity will skyrocket. They have it planned and the plan is that prices are so high that people will welcome and accept alternative green energy. Now can they pull off keeping green energy within reasonable rates? I doubt it but it will cost the American taxpayer tons of money.
And you know what! right now some shady things going on with employers. Over obamacare, really don't know, but things are going on.

Such as in two larger companies we are aware of, people who been working at this establishment for ever and ever, all of a sudden, have to take a test. Never had to ever. Why now.

Out of 60 questions, they can only miss 4, and if they do not pass the exam, told they will be let go. Everyone who works there, is stressing out big time, mean this.

I have friends who all of a sudden after working full time for over 10 years, are now being put to part time help, gees i wonder why.

Do not know what is happening, but clearly there is a trend here going on.

I have a electrician friend, and a manager, and a supervisor all right now out of work. One here in Calif the other two in the East Coast.

This is no good. It is not only the working poor right now suffering, but clearly, many many people from all walks of life.

Employers seem to be finding ways to oust out certain employees, for what reason, i can only imagine.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,710,483 times
Quote:
Most of these people are probably better off today than they would be under Romney and Ryan, i.e. things could be worse for them.
With Harry Reid running the Senate I doubt anything would be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies