Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:58 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times

Advertisements

Small, but definitely a Mighty Dog!

Brave chihuahua takes on pitbull and saves girls life - YouTube

Old 04-02-2013, 07:00 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The family had two other dogs that weren't involved in the attack. Only the pit bulls attacked in this incident. Are there certain triggers that might provoke a pit bull attack that are unique to pit bulls?
Depends. Were these dogs trained to fight? Dogs don't "see" kids as human, but more like small animals. And when fighting dogs are trained, small animals are used to bait them.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That is a load of crap. If this were true, we wouldn't be seeing pit bull attacks over and over. There are bad owners of all breeds not just pit bulls. Yet pit bulls seem to top the list for attacks. There is something about the breed that predisposes them to attacking humans.
Or, something about this breed that attracts owners that encourage the aggressive behavior. Maybe because they want to appear tough, or want a dog to be a guard dog or actually use it for fighting, it's a vicious circle.

Last edited by ringwise; 04-02-2013 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I love blanket statements like this. They show a lack of education on the topic. Did you know that there is no specific breed that is known as a "Pit Bull"? In fact, there are approximately 20 different breeds that have or have had in the past the appellation of "Pit Bull". Which of these breeds, exactly, is the one that you hate?

Your neighbor walked up and surprised a dog that was already on guard due to a foreign animal being in his territory (if a dog can see it, they own it, in their opinion). More than likely, the dog had given previous warning signs of aggressiveness that were dismissed as a "bad mood" or "being cranky". What it comes down to is the fact that your neighbor owned a dog, didn't bother to train it correctly, and made a seriously poor decision that led to her getting mauled. Now you're going to hate an entire group of dog breeds based on the way they look....

I swear, if a single person who supposedly hates Pit Bulls would bother to educate themselves about the breeds and about dogs in general, this conversation wouldn't be happening.
Please do not lecture people about their lack of knowledge regarding Pit Bulls, when you yourself lack that knowledge. There IS a breed, in UKC, called an American Pit Bull Terrier. The same breed (they came from the same bloodlines) in AKC is called the American Staffordshire Terrier.

Education about these breeds will NOT change what happens all too often. That will only happen when folks stop getting these dogs because their aggressive nature and protectiveness appeals to them.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Ho Hum, another dog mauls baby, kid, mother, etc.
The next post will probably say, its not the dogs fault because everyone knows dogs don't bite.
Clearly the answer here is to outlaw all biting/chewing.

This would solve the problem.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:40 AM

538 posts, read 1,012,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post

Reminds me of our Chihuahua we use to have. He constantly ran large dogs out of the yard. Little guy wasn't scared of anything.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:54 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Sounds like if given time the dogs would have also eaten the child. Those who are pro-bit bull are idiots. These dogs are bred to kill. Put in a pack they will attack anything they consider small and weak..that they as predators consider game. I have seen dogs attack small children...because they are SMALL.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:00 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
In Toronto the Pit Bulls are banned..Those that do exist are muzzled. No person in their right mind would own one of these dogs? Why would they? The have been proven to be dogs bred for killing or and for contests - where they fight to the death because of their nasty characteristic. You breed a dog specifically to be aggressive and with jaws impossible to detach once clamped on - what do you expect...Those with pit bulls who lose control of them should be treated the same as a jerk randomly firing a gun in the neighborhood.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Reminds me of our Chihuahua we use to have. He constantly ran large dogs out of the yard. Little guy wasn't scared of anything.
I don't ever remember seeing a shy Chihuahua. They are protective and can be aggressive too. My uncle owned one and he wasn't afraid of anything.

I think the child in my video post will remember this for a very long time.

In a city I lived in before, the city council had a law that renters of apartments were not allowed to have a pit bull or mix as a pet. I know of a renter who was warned to get rid of their pit bull, and the renter continued bringing the dog back to the apartment for visitation, it got loose once and attempted to attack a poodle on the premises. Poodle was ok, but the renter was evicted.

Presently, I have my own problem with a neighbor's pit bull getting loose and coming over to my apartment, so I'm going to put up a fence to try to protect myself, spouse and our pet.

Bad pet owners? Yes, I agree as someone alluded to in the thread, there are some that just can't control their animals/pets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Ho Hum, another dog mauls baby, kid, mother, etc.
The next post will probably say, its not the dogs fault because everyone knows dogs don't bite.
My dog, can act like a watch dog all days long, he's a dingo, and he looks like he could bite if provoked, but when people come up to him, he melts like hot butter. Dogs can be difficult to read, but if people study up, even a little bit about a dog's posture and disposition, they'll know if the dog might be friendly or not.
My dog's posture is play, play, play.

http://www.moderndogmagazine.com/art...y-language/415

Old 04-02-2013, 08:41 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I don't ever remember seeing a shy Chihuahua. They are protective and can be aggressive too. My uncle owned one and he wasn't afraid of anything.
Number two most common dog bite attack (based on nation wide hospital admission records.) Dachhunds are #1, with Pit Bulls not even in the top ten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies