Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 10:39 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times

Advertisements

I think the following re: the current state of political affairs:

1. There's almost no difference in the two major political parties. Both are corrupt, both lie to the American people, both pander to special interests, both are in the pockets of big corporations, both use the "divide and conquer" theory so that the masses constantly bicker amongst themselves.

2. The federal deficit is out of control and there is neither the will nor the ability in Washington to try and get it back under control

My question is how do we change that? Really.....realistically? Among all the crap and garbage and noise on this forum I see small shreds of good ideas. Term limits. Campaign finance reform. Talk of holding politicians accountable. But how?

There's another thread running now that asks whether it is too late for this country to change course. If we run on the premise that it ISN'T too late (a shaky premise at best), then my question is what tangible things can WE do to help make that change?

Just voting doesn't change anything. If we swap out Democrats for Republicans, what changes if they're really one and the same? Please don't just throw out the talking points and one liners that accomplish nothing. Does anyone out there have better than that, because really the country deserves better than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 10:49 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post

1. There's almost no difference in the two major political parties. Both are corrupt, both lie to the American people, both pander to special interests, both are in the pockets of big corporations, both use the "divide and conquer" theory so that the masses constantly bicker amongst themselves.

2. The federal deficit is out of control and there is neither the will nor the ability in Washington to try and get it back under control

My question is how do we change that? Really.....realistically? Among all the crap and garbage and noise on this forum I see small shreds of good ideas. Term limits. Campaign finance reform. Talk of holding politicians accountable. But how?

There's another thread running now that asks whether it is too late for this country to change course. If we run on the premise that it ISN'T too late (a shaky premise at best), then my question is what tangible things can WE do to help make that change?

Just voting doesn't change anything. If we swap out Democrats for Republicans, what changes if they're really one and the same? Please don't just throw out the talking points and one liners that accomplish nothing. Does anyone out there have better than that, because really the country deserves better than that.

I have no idea what to do. The moderates who compromised in the past have been voted out. So we are left with people on both sides digging their heels in. We need moderates back because they compromise.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:51 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,116 times
We revolt!
Or rather, you revolt and I continue to not care...

Old 03-30-2013, 11:14 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
It is the GOP that is obstinate and unwilling to work with the other side. I have no great faith in the ability of Democrats to turn things around either, but they are at least willing to act like adults.

There IS a more guilty party, and they are becoming more extreme as their numbers decrease nationally.

I don't know how that party can ever fix itself.

NEVER has there been a greater need for a strong third party.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:16 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,788,485 times
Take redistricting out of the hands of the state legislatures, which are all Republican or Democrat dominated, and use independent commissions to which legislators are constitutionally obligated to abide.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:19 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
We revolt!
Or rather, you revolt and I continue to not care...
Hey! I asked for "no one liners".

But that was funny so you get a pass.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:12 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:

If you thnik the parties are all alike then you do not even know the paltform they run under. If you think corruptio has not been a part of the poltical system i any politcal system then you need to read history. In fact any organizatio has corruption ebcause they consist of humans and many are corrupt.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:27 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,116 times
Quote:
Hey! I asked for "no one liners".

But that was funny so you get a pass.
I'm sorry.

What do we do? If you're talking about sweeping insitutional change understand that it doesn't come without a fight, a fight hardly anyone is willing to partake in.

The truth, the sense I get of the truth at least, is that the average American is more or less happy with their life, and those who aren't largely concern themselves with various ways to work around the system.

A common ideal among those in the West is "self focus". It's this barrier that any massive change must overcome in order for substantial change to occur...not the fuzzy 'change' spiel we've been given for so long now. We live largely from a "if my life is ok, then life is ok" stand point, yet financially, as a whole, we're in a mess. To the average person that mess isn't his however...it's "theirs"...not realizing that "their mess" is his mess...if not directly, then indirectly...if not now, then soon.

My answer about "what to do" is to clearly define the problem and suggest practical solutions to it, and then to focus the power of groups such as Occupy and whoever into one coherrent body with a set of goals. Have leaders from that opposition group speak up against elected officials, claiming their illegitimacy as leaders due to a rigged system...refuse to participate in elections, actively campaign against voting in elections and have "alternate elections"...something that could concievably happen relatively easily given the internet. From there, set up a system that is clear in its desires, effecient in its design, and ruthless in its implementation.

If you produce results, the people will follow. The problem is, instead of production people are concentrated on rhetoric, and that is always easily quashed by the current powers.

However, it seems like, given that the people are largely "self focused", and further relatively pacified, such a thing will never happen. Instead, we'll stick to a system that proved effective to those who came before us, even if that system is clearly outdated, while the rest of the world moves into 21st Centruary. Talk about going down with the ship....

Ah well, it was a good 250 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies