Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:35 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times

Advertisements

The last big immigration wave in this country ended nearly 100 years ago. Guess what--the grandchildren of those immigrants are fully integrated into American culture. It's always been that way--the immigrant may struggle with the language and keeps "home" close culturally; the first generation born here is often bilingual and maintains both American and foreign traditions; and the grandkids are as American as the families who came here in the 1600s.

If you would have spent some time in the Midwest during my childhood in the late 50's and 60s, you would have seen little communities, all of one nationality, where it was still not unusual to hear older people speaking another language to each other. They kept the traditions of the country they came from. That's entirely gone now. Mexican Americans aren't going to be any different. By the time the grandkids are here, they'll be just as "American" as everyone else, but they'll drag out the ethnic foods for the holidays.

My kids go to school with classmates whose parents were born in India, Vietnam, Mexico, Russia, (faculty and immigrant kids) etc. You would be hard pressed to tell those kids from anyone else, except that they are lucky enough to be bilingual. They talk the same, dress the same, and act the same. This is all much fuss about absolutely nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 09:40 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
White teens are basically self destroying themselves! What with appearing on reality TV shows and getting abortions? They are "doomed" I tell ya! ( That is of course if they don't wind up on MTV's "teen mom"!)
You watch too much reality tv--especially the kind that takes kids out of a trailer park and puts them on a show. There have always been trashy people in the world, and there always will be.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What? You asked to see stats where I claimed that most Catholics were Democrats and I provided one for you. Initially most Catholics were Democrats that trend has changed I guess in recent years but it is still a 50-50 split. I am not Catholic so I don't know what your point is here. Someone in here claimed that most Christians are Republicans without even backing it up.
So, the New Deal and Catholicism are now the same thing?
My point is that you dont know what you are speaking of, and no, you never gave a link to back up your assertion that most Catholics are Dems.
You may have thought you did, but you didnt.

Last edited by kshe95girl; 04-02-2013 at 10:47 AM..

Old 04-02-2013, 10:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
White teens are basically self destroying themselves! What with appearing on reality TV shows and getting abortions? They are "doomed" I tell ya! ( That is of course if they don't wind up on MTV's "teen mom"!)
You know you are getting old when you start talking about youth being doomed.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:21 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
So, the New Deal and Catholicism are now the same thing?
My point is that you dont know what you are speaking of, and no, you never gave a link to back up your assertion that most Catholics are Dems
You may have thought you did, but you didnt.
Geez, are you really this dense? I did provide a link for you and I acknowledged from the link that TODAY Catholics are a 50-50 split between the two political parties. However, in the past Catholics were overwhelmingly Democrats. What New Deal? I don't even recall disussing that with you.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:28 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
From wikipedia: Apparently today it is a 50-50 split now between Catholics who are Democrats and those who are Republicans that wasn't so not that long ago.

From the mid-19th century down to 1964 Catholics were solidly Democratic, sometimes at the 80%-90% level. The Catholics formed a core part of the New Deal Coalition, with overlapping memberships in the Church, labor unions, and big city machines, and the working class, all of which promoted liberal policy positions in domestic affairs and anti-communism during the Cold War. Since the election of a Catholic President in 1960, Catholics have split about 50-50 between the two major parties in national elections.
Quote:
Geez, are you really this dense? I did provide a link for you and I acknowledged from the link that TODAY Catholics are a 50-50 split between the two political parties. However, in the past Catholics were overwhelmingly Democrats. What New Deal? I don't even recall disussing that with you.
Cant even remember what you posted?
I will admit I failed to include a single word in my reply.
I can see just how confusing not including the word "Coalition" must be.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:28 AM

Hilarious! White teens are destroying themselves by being on reality shows? Hmm, I didn't know that genocide or suicide were a part of those shows. I see just as many minorities on those shows as I do white people.

As for the claims that whites have more abortions. From wiki:

Abortions are much more common among minority women in the U.S. In 2000-2001, the rates among black and Hispanic women were 49 per 1,000 and 33 per 1,000, respectively, vs. 13 per 1,000 among non-Hispanic white women.

Granted these stats go awhile back but unless the person making those claims about whites has a viable link proving that the group having the most abortions are whites I have no reason to believe him.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Cant even remember what you posted?
I will admit I failed to include a single word in my reply.
I can see just how confusing not including the word "Coalition" must be.
I know what I don't post about and I haven't commented on anything in regards to "coalition". I gave you a link it proved me wrong as to the majority political affiliation of Catholics "today". I thought that were still true today since Catholics have been so overwhelmingly Democrats in the not too distant past. There apparently is no majority today but a 50-50 split. Happy now or do you wish to continue to beat a dead horse? If so, I don't wish to be a part of it. Bye.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
So.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:26 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
In America, the influx of Hispanics has complicated the racial dichotomy that used to exist of black/white (with some "others" here and there).

Before Hispanics increased in numbers in this country, they were often just treated the way they were/are in their own home countries - based on their actual racial identity.

It's all silliness in the end. My white brother (of mixed Euro ethnicity) is marrying an American girl of Mexican descent (of mixed Euro and Indian ethnicity). Will their children be part of this great "non-white" shift that's supposed to fundamentally change the culture? If my future neices and nephews marry, say, another white person in the future, would THEIR children be "non white"?

Their children will grow up knowing American culture first, and my mother is already teaching the future daughter in law how to make "American" foods that my brother is accustomed to that she never learned in her own home.

If ANYONE - black, white, Asian - is concerned about purity, then start having hordes of children like the Mormons.
It's not complicated at all my friend. Humans have been on the move for mellenia...speading genetic variations to the four winds.

You have some romantic notion that this little oasis[America] for past 500 years has been "pure"...Poppycock. There has been race mixing since day one. You think T. Jefferson was the only one spreading his gene pool around...seems "white" female colonists also liked the eumelena pigmentation...capeche.

There is no "white" race. There are humans with less melena pigmantation, but that is just a genetic variation nature will equalize.

A mere 50 years from now in America, to look down on someone for their skin pigmentation will be as ridiculous as looking down on someone for their hair color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies