Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:16 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Say a criminal uses the proceeds of a robbery to buy some shoes, or a bag of twisties. Does that make shoes or cheese flavoured cornsnacks the issue?
Definitely the cheese flavored corn snacks.
Shoes don't make you fat so they must be innocent.

We need to alert Bloomberg asap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 12:18 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,776 times
Just make them similiar to alcohol laws. Even legalalized, people will ruin their lives with drugs...but 100x more with alcohol do the same and we already live with it.

Also would be the single most important item that would strengthen border security. There would never be a story about "armed men" crossing the border. Just be poor migrants.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:19 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Say someone is an alcoholic who can't hold down a job but still "needs" to drink, so he robs banks and stores to pay for his habit -- his perfectly legal habit.

Anyone who thinks crime will disappear overnight after legalization is being a bit naive.
Uhhh ever hear of Prohibition? Watch Boardwalk Empire sometime and see how bad crime really was when alcohol was illegal (and in reality was actually worse).

Old 04-04-2013, 12:31 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Say someone is an alcoholic who can't hold down a job but still "needs" to drink, so he robs banks and stores to pay for his habit -- his perfectly legal habit.

Anyone who thinks crime will disappear overnight after legalization is being a bit naive.
Well, he's still a criminal. It doesn't matter if he's buying booze or chocolate coated wafers with a chewy caramel centre.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:34 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
I'm fine with it as long as those who can no longer function in society do not fall back on me to provide for them. Perhaps we can use the money we save fighting the drug war to wall off a part of the desert where we let them go to die.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:36 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
The War on Drugs is killing America. It is definitely time to legalize.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:06 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Alcohol is illegal or almost illegal in many Islamic countries. It does not cause problems per se.
Opium was legal in China for a while, after they lost the opium war to th British. It severely damaged China society and that's why all smugglers are subject to death penalty today.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:21 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
My rationale:

1) Portugal decriminalized all drugs and drug use did not increase.
2) It would CRUSH the cartels.
3) It's inhumane to punish people for using a substance when they aren't hurting anybody else.
4) The War on Drugs is a failure and a massive waste of taxpayer money.
5) If drugs were cheaper fewer crimes would be committed to obtain them.

I think the government should franchise and regulate dealerships who can supply quality and low priced products for addicts. People with severe addictions should be court mandated into rehab, but it should not go on their criminal record.

I'm not a pro-drug person at all, but I think the only alternative to this would be the status quo, that is allowing the cartels to have a monopoly on drug dealing and continuing to turn drug users into second class citizens and prisoners.

I mean LITERALLY all drugs btw. Coke, meth, smack, esctasy, it doesn't matter.
I agree. All though, meth is some really bad s***!!!! That's the only one I'd have issues with, because not only is it dangerous to the user, but also dangerous to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
I'm with you.
It's a medical not criminal problem and part of the revenue's should go to health care.
Yes.

Quote:

Of course it won't. But it would drop quite a bit. We'll always have those who will commit heinous crimes. Let law enforcement focus on that. At any rate, if a violent act is committed. PUNISH THE CRIME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Just make them similiar to alcohol laws. Even legalalized, people will ruin their lives with drugs...but 100x more with alcohol do the same and we already live with it.

Also would be the single most important item that would strengthen border security. There would never be a story about "armed men" crossing the border. Just be poor migrants.
Perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Uhhh ever hear of Prohibition? Watch Boardwalk Empire sometime and see how bad crime really was when alcohol was illegal (and in reality was actually worse).
Correct. Prohibition only criminalizes otherwise normal people. The government should not tell anyone what they can and cannot consume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Well, he's still a criminal. It doesn't matter if he's buying booze or chocolate coated wafers with a chewy caramel centre.
Exactly!!!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:12 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm fine with it as long as those who can no longer function in society do not fall back on me to provide for them.
That's exactly what I'm getting at. Once heroin, meth, etc. are legalized, I think it's entirely reasonable to assume that more people will be tempted to try those substances -- and in many cases, even a single use is enough to create a lifelong addiction. Eventually those addicts will be unable to work and will have to resort to welfare and/or crime to support themselves.

And yes, I know that nicotine is addictive and eventually harmful, but it doesn't generally interfere with a person's ability to earn a living.

Bottom line, I still think some drugs -- the most harmful ones -- should continue to be illegal. In fact it's possible that if we do legalize marijuana and other natural substances (mushrooms, etc.) then their use might displace some of the current use of dangerous illegal drugs.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:18 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
My rationale:

1) Portugal decriminalized all drugs and drug use did not increase.
2) It would CRUSH the cartels.
3) It's inhumane to punish people for using a substance when they aren't hurting anybody else.
4) The War on Drugs is a failure and a massive waste of taxpayer money.
5) If drugs were cheaper fewer crimes would be committed to obtain them.

I think the government should franchise and regulate dealerships who can supply quality and low priced products for addicts. People with severe addictions should be court mandated into rehab, but it should not go on their criminal record.

I'm not a pro-drug person at all, but I think the only alternative to this would be the status quo, that is allowing the cartels to have a monopoly on drug dealing and continuing to turn drug users into second class citizens and prisoners.

I mean LITERALLY all drugs btw. Coke, meth, smack, esctasy, it doesn't matter.

If drugs were outright legalized, you could add two more:

6) Minors would be much less likely to use, or even access, the more dangerous drugs if they are regulated and kept safely behind a counter.

7) Overdoses and misidentification would drop tremendously, as the drugs would have to pass quality and purity inspections. No more instances of someone consuming the wrong mysterious white powder, or side effects from substances used to cut the powder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies