Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 11:38 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times

Advertisements

FEMA’s news conference in Calif. is just another administration propaganda event. Similar to the event when George was on the aircraft carrier with the “Mission Accomplished Banner” FEMA had their own employees posed as reporters asking softball questions of the agency leaders.

Department of Homeland Security Chief Michael Chertoff said he found the phony news conference offensive, and, since it is an emergency relief outfit, I have some emergency suggestions for him.

Fire these people and the people who hired them and then explain to the new people that the best way for a disaster relief agency to get good publicity is to do a good job helping disaster victims.

At FEMA Your IQ Must Be Below This Line, Schieffer: Just Fire The People Responsible For The Disaster Agency's Fake News Conference - CBS News

Newsblog | FEMA: We'll ask the questions, and give the answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 03:27 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,346,484 times
I first thought this was a joke when I read news yesterday.

Is this the same meathod how the Bush Admin. does the internal polls that show everything is going fine and everyone is happy?

Old 10-28-2007, 05:14 PM

Yeah,,,, it looks like they didn’t want to have any bad news get out like New Orleans with Brownie doing a heck of a good job. So they didn’t tell the media about the press conference 30 minutes before hand. This allowed them to use their own people to ask questions.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:19 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,722 times
ROFL. Thanks for passing this on...Hilarious!!

Old 10-28-2007, 05:45 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,633,377 times
Not sure they need to make up stuff. I'm quiet sure if there were some terrible mishandlings of the disaster relief efforts in California, we'd be getting 24/7 live feed coverage from the left, with constant blame all going to the right.

One thing that stands out to me though:

California wildfires: Republican governor, things okay
Florida hurricanes of 2004: Republican governor, things okay
Hurricane Katrina MS: Republican governor, things okay
Hurricane Katrina LA: Democratic governor, absolute disaster, blames Republicans

Just thought it was interesting to think about.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Hurricane MS - "OK"?? Don't know where you got that nugget. Sure the damage was not as extensive as New Orleans, but overall Missourians today are pretty darn upset they are still waiting for the Federal assistance they were promised for recovery. FEMA has been and continues to be remarkably inept in both Missouri and Louisiana recovery efforts. Is it all their fault? No. But let's not start handing them gold stars, please...

Old 10-28-2007, 06:51 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,633,377 times
Uh, I was referring to Mississippians. As for the damage, being born and raised in south Mississppi and having family that lived in in Bay St. Louis and Pass Christian, the damage was catastrophic. The only thing better for MS than LA was they are above sea level, so the water went away. As for damage, it looked as though an atomic bomb went off. My cousin in Bay St. Louis lost everything that wasn't in the car with her when she fled. Unless you want to count the concrete slab her house sat on.

And no, the recovery hasn't been handled with flying colors, but I think people forget that when a catastrophic amount of damge due to nature rolls in, building back up in a day, week, month, or even a year or 2 is impossible. It takes a long time for recovery.

The difference is the amount of whining and the amount of failure in rebuilding has been substantially higher in NOLA than MS. NOLA has also received substantially more money both through the federal government and donations than MS. Thats because if you didn't have roots in MS, you wouldn't have even hardly known that MS was wiped out by Katrina. The media largely ignored MS because there weren't thousands upon thousands standing around with their hands out waiting for nannystate government to come make it all better.

Not saying the Republicans are great, but people do tend to do better when they don't rely on government in general, because government can not fix very much.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:01 PM

Well they should definitely be commended for their efforts. I agree you need to be proactive when life smacks you in the face. I have been reading some 2007 articles discussing people in Missouri and in Louisiana's displeasure at the government's performance in the rebuilding, and the large gap between what was promised and what has been delivered. Even if that just means streamlining the paperwork and cutting all the bureacratic government red tape. These are the times you really do need the government to step up.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:13 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
These are the times you really do need the government to step up.
There are times when government needs to get out of the way.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
There are times when government needs to get out of the way.
The government is never out of my way when they want to take and spend my tax money! The least I can do is ask them to be “honest” about how they run their business! If not ~ close the door and stop taking my money for the things I don’t want it spent on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies