Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:49 PM

981 posts, read 1,620,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Grow up and get an eduction. You haven't the slightest idea of what you are talking about.
I do have an education.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:51 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I agree. someone who is worth 10 billion and gives 1 billion to charity means a whole lot less to me than someone who make $50,000 and gives $10,000 to charity.
As if what is worth to you means anything. Do you think the charity would rther get the $10,000 or 1 billion?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Hell it aint. When there is a natural disaster, that church is usually on the scene helping people out before the federal government..
That's ridiculous. Churches aren't charities. They are religious organizations. Not all religious organizations perform charity. Even if they did, that still does not make them charities. They are still religious organizations.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Guess this proves mitt Romney isn't rich as he routinely donates millions of dollars each year to charity.

Now if you say Algore.. you do have a case.
Romney donates it to his church, so they can build even bigger churches. He doesn't give to the poor, the sick and the downtrodden.
That's not charity in my book.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
That's ridiculous. Churches aren't charities. They are religious organizations. Not all religious organizations perform charity. Even if they did, that still does not make them charities. They are still religious organizations.
I thought you just said you had an education..

If you did, you'd know that Churches are 501C3 organizations which the IRS says.. wait, lets go to the IRS website so you cant say I'm lying

Exemption requirements: 501(c)(3) organizations

Organizations described in section 501(c)(3) are commonly referred to as charitable organizations.

How the hell can an educated person not know this..

Old 04-05-2013, 06:56 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
I do have an education.
I believe you have piece of paper.

Return the money, and give it to a charity!

Old 04-05-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I thought you just said you had an education..

If you did, you'd know that Churches are 501C3 organizations which the IRS says.. wait, lets go to the IRS website so you cant say I'm lying

Exemption requirements: 501(c)(3) organizations

Organizations described in section 501(c)(3) are commonly referred to as charitable organizations.

How the hell can an educated person not know this..
I don't care if the IRS considers them a charitable organization. They aren't charities. A charity is an organization that is created and dedicated to dispensing funds or aid for the purpose of benefaction. A religious organization is not a charity. It is an organization dedicated to furthering a religion. That has nothing to do with charity.

Don't give me that bull****.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I don't care if the IRS considers them a charitable organization. They aren't charities. A charity is an organization that is created and dedicated to dispensing funds or aid for the purpose of benefaction. A religious organization is not a charity. It is an organization dedicated to furthering a religion. That has nothing to do with charity.

Don't give me that bull****.
Someone needs to return their degree..

A charity is
1) in general the sentiment of benevolence, doing good works, assisting the less fortunate, philanthropy, and contributing to the general public. 2) an organization which exists to help those in need or provide educational, scientific, religious and artistic assistance to members of the public. Charities are usually corporations established under state guidelines and require IRS approval in order for contributions to them to be deductible from gross income by donors.

EVERYTHING a church is..

Old 04-05-2013, 07:07 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
There is indeed an element of class warfare when the rich give so much less by percentage than the poor, and consider "giving" sponsoring their entertainments and passions rather than helping others.
Try looking at it another way. A wealthy couple, who built their business over the years and sold it at a pretty profit, donate money to a museum, allowing the museum to offer free admission, which in turn allows school children to visit the museum for the price of a bus token. Another wealthy donor sponsors a ballet performance, which gives the ballet company the means to offer an afternoon outreach performance to school children in a low-income neighborhood.

Who's to say what the effect of a museum or a ballet performance will be on a child living in poverty? You don't know what is going to inspire a child; the kid watching that ballet performance may work his or her behind off and in 15 years become the principal dancer at the American Ballet Theater. You just don't know.
Quote:
How much of that went to churches? Churches aren't charities.
Churches are indeed non-profit charitable institutions, and donations to churches are tax deductible (although the ones that endorse political candidates from their pulpits would be wise to read over Section 501c3 of the Internal Revenue Code).

Old 04-05-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Churches are indeed non-profit charitable institutions, and donations to churches are tax deductible (although the ones that endorse political candidates from their pulpits would be wise to read over Section 501c3 of the Internal Revenue Code).
Or more likely, people need to re-view that section of the Constitution which discusses peoples first amendment right to speak..

Clearly you'd admit that the Constitution trumps any IRS code, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies