Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 03:00 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,916,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteryk View Post
I don't get the argument that since a criminal won't follow a law then we shouldn't have the law. Imagine if we applied that logic to everything else?
The other laws are for after the fact crimes as a way to punish people who break the law. This is more of a pre-crime law for anyone wanting to buy a tool that may or may not be used in a crime.

Other laws I don't agree with - drug possession with the intent to deliver. Really? Do they know the intent of the person possessing it? Maybe they found a great deal on week and bought a trunk full. Every time I go to Sam's Club and buy 112 rolls of toilet paper, that is because buying in bulk saves money. Based on that, he's just buying in bulk to save gas and therefore save the environment. Until he actually sells it, no one knows what he was going to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 03:02 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,916,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
So guns do not grow out of the ground.
They are manufactured.
If criminals are getting guns by purchasing them, who is selling them, If they are stealing them,from who and when.

As a legal gun owner these questions are important to me and many others. Expanded backround checks and registration are needed to protect my right to own a weapon.
I will not budge on this. In the past, all registration has ever done is lead to confiscation.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:35 PM

238 posts, read 590,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I will not budge on this. In the past, all registration has ever done is lead to confiscation.
I agree !
A Holocaust survivor was asked why the Jews didn't fight back against the Nazis.

He replied......." with what ? A spoon ? "

Old 04-09-2013, 04:40 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I'll walk you through it

So this law will affect legal gun owners who do not commit crimes and criminals.
Criminals already get most of their guns from straw purchasers or they steal them so they will not go through a background check.
Ergo, only legal gun owners will be affected who do not commit crimes.

Hope this clears it up for you. Punish people who actually commit crimes, not me.
But if criminals get caught with a weapon that they didn't legally purchase, and there are felony charges for not going through the process to legally purchase a gun, including a thorough background check, then it adds more charges that law enforcement can pile on to put bad guys in prison and keep them there longer.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:46 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,832,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
But if criminals get caught with a weapon that they didn't legally purchase, and there are felony charges for not going through the process to legally purchase a gun, including a thorough background check, then it adds more charges that law enforcement can pile on to put bad guys in prison and keep them there longer.
A felon cannot already own a gun so he would be currently charged with being a feeling in a possession of a gun. How would they prove the person didnt own the firearm before the registration period? The felon still wouldnt be able to be charged under your senario.

The prison system is already over crowded. They are letting out murders and rapist early. They would add a year on the sentence then let the person out a year early since they have no room. In my home state of California they are letting out tons of criminals because of overcrowding.

The only way UBC will ever work is if every gun is registered. Requiring all citizens to register legally owned guns will never pass and even if it did no one would register them. Registration failed completely in Canada, it was estimated that only 10% of guns were actually registered, it would be a huge waste of resources accomplishing nothing.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:40 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,748,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
65 MILLION gun owners... it's just a fetish?

Using your logic we should outlaw bathtubs, pools, electrical outlets, bicycles, skateboards, skates, and rocks.
Its around 180,000,000 gun owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies