Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 02:13 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,024 times

Advertisements

The world (and this country) has evolved since the Constitution was written.

And its true, the militia part was the primary thing re bearing arms. Last time I read it that was the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 02:19 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post

And its true, the militia part was the primary thing re bearing arms. Last time I read it that was the case.
Good thing your not in charge of the meaning of the constitution because your wrong.

The principles of constitution apply very well to today. When you realize that the constitution is a limit on government, not on individual freedom you'll understand. Unless you believe your rights to illegal search and seizure do not apply to cars or freedom of speech does not aply to the Internet.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:19 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,871 times
Quote:
And there is a process for amending the Constitution as needed.

Quote:
Why are all of the other Bill of Rights centered on the individual? You don't need to work for a newspaper or other group to exercise your first Amendment rights.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

If you want further clarification, the Federalist Papers cover this quite well.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:32 PM

As I wrote, it is the primary part. And, of course, there have been many, many opinions written since then. But that doesn't alter the fact militia is the primary part.

Standing armies were feared and despised by the founders.

And no, it isn't that the Constitution is outdated, the world has changed since then. We live in a vastly different society today.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:36 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Why are all of the other Bill of Rights centered on the individual? You don't need to work for a newspaper or other group to exercise your first Amendment rights.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
The Bill of Rights is for the individual. That being said, "a well-regulated militia being necessary for defense" is the end and the individual is a means. The question is, what was the intent behind starting with "well regulated militia"? Was it meant to assure ex-militia men who fought in the American revolution, to be able to serve again if there were a need?

Old 04-08-2013, 02:41 PM

Ghost, I think that more the idea. That the militia might be needed again was obvious.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:05 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Like all the criminals they are getting off the streets for failing the current background checks? Oh that's right, they are not prosecuted. Because you are happy with a shotgun does not mean I am. I will pick what ever gun gives me the best chance to protect myself or my family. It will use a standard capacity magazine because that gives me the best chance to protect myself. If you want a shot gun, good, I will use a handgun with a standard capacity magazine and I will also have an ar15 in the safe.

You are the worst type of gun owner, the it doesn't affect me because I have my shotgun and hunting rifle so I don't care. Just wait till they are talking about assault shotguns that fire 6-12 non aimed pellets that the only purpose is to kill as many people with one shot as possible. Plus no one needs a sniper rifle to kill innocent children from over a thousand yards. You should fight for the rights of all people, even if they desire something different than you.

And many politicians have come out wanting to ban all guns. Open your eyes.
The current background check process is a joke, and you know it. When it becomes impossible to legally buy or sell a gun, even through a private sale, without a thorough background check, then we'll talk, but until then, it's ridiculous. We need to strengthen the law AND we need to strengthen enforcement.

Here's the kind of gun owners we are--the responsible, common sense kind. There is absolutely no reason to use a high capacity mag unless 1) you're using it as a "toy" for a shooting sport--not hunting or 2) you want to kill lots of people quickly. If you're so worried that an entire gang of criminals are going to invade your home armed to the teeth, then I suggest you either move out of the third world neighborhood you live in, or see a mental health professional for your out of control paranoia. If you think you need to be armed to the teeth to defend yourself from the government, then you need to be locked up in a hospital.

For those of us living in the real world, a shotgun will not only take down anyone trying to break into my house, but you can pretty much point and shoot without worrying about good aim in the dark--it's a whole lot more effective than a handgun. You don't even need a 12 gauge--I'm a small woman, and I can comfortably shoot (and kill someone if need be) with a youth sized 20 gauge remington.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:15 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The current background check process is a joke, and you know it. When it becomes impossible to legally buy or sell a gun, even through a private sale, without a thorough background check, then we'll talk, but until then, it's ridiculous. We need to strengthen the law AND we need to strengthen enforcement.

Here's the kind of gun owners we are--the responsible, common sense kind. There is absolutely no reason to use a high capacity mag unless 1) you're using it as a "toy" for a shooting sport--not hunting or 2) you want to kill lots of people quickly. If you're so worried that an entire gang of criminals are going to invade your home armed to the teeth, then I suggest you either move out of the third world neighborhood you live in, or see a mental health professional for your out of control paranoia. If you think you need to be armed to the teeth to defend yourself from the government, then you need to be locked up in a hospital.

For those of us living in the real world, a shotgun will not only take down anyone trying to break into my house, but you can pretty much point and shoot without worrying about good aim in the dark--it's a whole lot more effective than a handgun. You don't even need a 12 gauge--I'm a small woman, and I can comfortably shoot (and kill someone if need be) with a youth sized 20 gauge remington.
So much fail, I hardly know where to begin.

1. Standard capacity mags are very useful for defending oneself. It is also handy for people with arthritis or liter mobility as changing a magazine in a stress situation (such as defending yourself from an attacker) is near impossible.
2. The second amendment has nothing to do with hunting or gun games.
3. Not everyone can afford to live in Caucasian acres. Maybe you should keep your bigoted ranting about "gangs of criminals" to yourself. Your racist code words are obvious.
4. If you want to use a shotgun, then go for it. Though it is mighty cumbersome indoors and your responsible for every piece of shot fired. I hope no one is shooting at you from more than 25 yards or so, because you will be in a bad spot with a shotgun, especially a 20 gauge with an 18 inch barrel.
5. You really should aim, your children might be in the next room.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:16 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,898 times
Quote:

do you know what "the militia" is?

Old 04-08-2013, 03:20 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The Bill of Rights is for the individual. That being said, "a well-regulated militia being necessary for defense" is the end and the individual is a means. The question is, what was the intent behind starting with "well regulated militia"? Was it meant to assure ex-militia men who fought in the American revolution, to be able to serve again if there were a need?
If you have even the slightest knowledge of the historical contxt surrounding the Founding, you would know what they said and meant, for it fills volumes.

The militia - "All citizens save a few public officials".

The main reason for the armed citizenry was "as a last resort, to deter tyranny in government"

Perhaps you should read the Federalist papers, unless, of course, you are "truth-adverse"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies