Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:44 PM

24,478 posts, read 23,186,975 times

Advertisements

I wonder if they'll throw Nicholas Cage in prison? Or General Electric?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 01:47 PM

16,828 posts, read 15,242,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Wesley Snipes Released From Prison | ABC News - Yahoo!

They obviously chose to use him as a "pin-up" guy to show what happens when you don't pay Uncle Sam. So sad really. I hope that they give him some good picture roles and help him out like they help those drug addicts robert downey jr and mel gibson.

he should have never gone to prison in the 1st place. after all, why should anyone ever go to prison for not paying a voluntary tax?

Last edited by monkeywrenching; 04-09-2013 at 01:56 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 01:52 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,042,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Another unproductive use of our prison system. It would be better to have him pay it off rather than sit in prison and not be able to do so. Restitution should always be first course of action.
Exactly. More burden on the taxpayers....

When are folks going to release incarceration is just big business now.
Our court system has become a parasite.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 PM

78,953 posts, read 61,137,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
he should have never gone to prison in the 1st place. after all, why should anyone ever go to prison for not paying a voluntary tax?
Voluntary? Oh this I've got to hear. You pay your taxes too right?

Old 04-09-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I wonder if they'll throw Nicholas Cage in prison? Or General Electric?
You don't go to jail for agreeing to pay back the money like Cage.

You go to jail for refusing to settle and saying you don't have to pay taxes because of esoteric cultist gobbledy **** like Snipes fell for.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,974,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You don't go to jail for agreeing to pay back the money like Cage.

You go to jail for refusing to settle and saying you don't have to pay taxes because of esoteric cultist gobbledy **** like Snipes fell for.
Snipes may have fallen for esoteric gobbledy ****, but I don't think he is retarded. He also had legal counsel, I am quite sure. Consider this: Cage agreed to pay back how much? If you are assessed X amount in back taxes and Y amount in penalties and interest and the amount is 1/10 of your net worth, paying it off and getting on with life is a no brainer. What happens if the amount is 3x your net worth? Or even exactly equal to your net worth? You might take a chance on a trial. You are screwed either way. White tax cheats pay pennies on the dollar in "Offers in Compromise" or they get outright Amnesty. Black tax cheats or anyone that the Justice System chooses to make an example out of get the book thrown at them. I never heard that Snipes refused to pay. I followed the trial from his arrest to his incarceration and from day one jail was mentioned and also the 3 year sentence. The only consideration Snipes has gotten is the early release and is it really early release when you are under house arrest? Early release is SOP for ANY prison sentence INCLUDING murder. Only irredeemable psychopaths get sentences (usually life) that don't allow for pardon, probation or parole.

H

Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 AM

288 posts, read 231,583 times
I hope he continues to fight being robbed from the government. Proud of him for going to prison and standing by his beliefs than bowing down to the system.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Snipes may have fallen for esoteric gobbledy ****, but I don't think he is retarded. He also had legal counsel, I am quite sure. Consider this: Cage agreed to pay back how much? If you are assessed X amount in back taxes and Y amount in penalties and interest and the amount is 1/10 of your net worth, paying it off and getting on with life is a no brainer. What happens if the amount is 3x your net worth? Or even exactly equal to your net worth? You might take a chance on a trial. You are screwed either way. White tax cheats pay pennies on the dollar in "Offers in Compromise" or they get outright Amnesty. Black tax cheats or anyone that the Justice System chooses to make an example out of get the book thrown at them. I never heard that Snipes refused to pay. I followed the trial from his arrest to his incarceration and from day one jail was mentioned and also the 3 year sentence. The only consideration Snipes has gotten is the early release and is it really early release when you are under house arrest? Early release is SOP for ANY prison sentence INCLUDING murder. Only irredeemable psychopaths get sentences (usually life) that don't allow for pardon, probation or parole.

H
If you bothered to google up famous people that got into tax problems you'd find that Snipes is the ONLY famous black to go to prison although there are many blacks on the list of tax evaders including Chris Tucker, Warren Sapp that are paying off the debt like Cage, Willie Nelson, Annie Lebowitz etc.

There are a couple famous white people that went to prison for taxes including Leona Helmsly the NYC socialite and Pete Rose.

Basically, your claims that Snipes is being picked on because he's black and that white's get off easy is likely due to a perception bias on your own part.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:03 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,974,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If you bothered to google up famous people that got into tax problems you'd find that Snipes is the ONLY famous black to go to prison although there are many blacks on the list of tax evaders including Chris Tucker, Warren Sapp that are paying off the debt like Cage, Willie Nelson, Annie Lebowitz etc.

There are a couple famous white people that went to prison for taxes including Leona Helmsly the NYC socialite and Pete Rose.

Basically, your claims that Snipes is being picked on because he's black and that white's get off easy is likely due to a perception bias on your own part.
Good to know, but I am not only talking about celebrities. Prison is such an awful consequence of misdeed that it is reserved for the most egregious cases. Prison sentences are handed out to African Americans like candy at a Halloween Party. I stand by my remarks.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:18 PM

12,335 posts, read 17,203,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Good to know, but I am not only talking about celebrities. Prison is such an awful consequence of misdeed that it is reserved for the most egregious cases. Prison sentences are handed out to African Americans like candy at a Halloween Party. I stand by my remarks.
I agree as well as per my post earlier on here. I should clarify I never objected to the fact he broke the law but years in jail? Taken from his family and friends? His career? The justice system works on favoritism a lot of the time and a black man being in a courtroom already has him at a disadvantage. Very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies