Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The movie is promoted as "don't play the game, change the game."

What does "change the game" mean?

People who were good baseball players drive the success of the major leagues.

A lot of good baseball players in major league baseball happen to be black people.

Jackie Robinson was a good baseball player.

80% of baseball fans today most likely watched their first baseball game after Doby Gray and Jackie Robinson first played and during a time when black baseball players were a league fixture.

What is the point of the movie, 42?

Jackie Robinson and Dobie Gray accomplished what they did.

Why make a big deal about it?

Very few people alive find black baseball players unusual.

How come we can't "judge people not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character?"
Must continue to rip off scab and salt wound to prevent healing and cause as much angst possible

Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 AM

365 posts, read 644,824 times
I'm Black and I even get tired of the "look what you did now whitety" movies.

Of course I haven't seen the movie yet. But I get the sense so far that it isn't a let's guilt white people movie. Branch Rickey was just as big a hero as Jackie Robinson.

It wasn't about Jackie being the best black player at that time. He wasn't and even he said so. He was the right player. Larry Doby never gets talked about for the American League either.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, holy missing the point Batman!

Why did they make the movie "Rudy"? Invincible?

Im not missing the point, I dont like propoganda. The real hero is the man who took a chance on Jackie Robinson. That is the man who made it happen, Jackie Robinson was right place right time. I like accomplishment, not Hollywood fantasy and sensationalism. I think Jackies accomplishments off of the baseball diamond were far more intriguing and would make for a better movie.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover View Post
He played in the negro league...like I said the ONLY reason he is so celebrated today is because he was the first black player in white baseball...that's it! He wasn't a fantastic player like Ruth,Mantle or Cobb...he was just the first black player in white baseball.
Sounds like a certain president.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Exactly. Why not a movie about him? A real hero and great baseball player

. . .
Why not do a movie about Hank Aaron? He broke Ruth's home run record and was a much better player than JR...the only reason JR gets a movie and worshiped is bc he was the first black in white baseball...its sad and disgusting a great player like Hank Aaron is thrown on the trash heap and forgotten about while a mediocre player is praised.
It's April and we've already hit our quota for movies about black people? Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:29 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Im not missing the point, I dont like propoganda. The real hero is the man who took a chance on Jackie Robinson. That is the man who made it happen, Jackie Robinson was right place right time. I like accomplishment, not Hollywood fantasy and sensationalism. I think Jackies accomplishments off of the baseball diamond were far more intriguing and would make for a better movie.
Having not seen the movie yet, it's quite possible that they do touch on many of the topics you would like to see addressed.

We can all agree their whole purpose is to sell tix and make money. Period. Jackie Robinson is a famous name and the other guy....not so much. Life isn't always fair.

My point stands though that the movie is NOT being made because of how many homers he hit etc. which is why I'm a little confused at some of your arguments as it seems like they are going to give you quite a bit of what you yourself are describing as wanting to see.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
I don't care about this movie, I'd rather see hidden colors 1 and 2 hit the big screen then see these type of movies that level blacks in insecurity.

These type if movie aren't for blacks but for whites to gather sympathy towards blacks.

More Hollywood bs.
Did you just mention Hidden colors? Oy.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:10 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I look at Jackie Robinson in this way. He was the right person for the job. Some people on this thread are saying "why not do Hank Aaron or Willie Mays"? I don't ask. And this is why I don't ask. Jackie Robinson helped to pave the way for many other Black baseball players, such as Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, and Ken Griffey Jr. I don't consider this a "white guilt film" or a "dividing" film. This is suppose to be a film about a a great American hero.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Isn't is amazing how Harrier doesn't even bother hiding his racism on this forum? I guess he feels pretty comfortable and in good company.
I think he feels at home here.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:15 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
What about Babe Ruth? He was great. He held the record for most home runs until Barry Steroid Bonds broke it. Show me Robinson's stats and then we can compare him against other great players.
Uh.....there's that guy named Hank Aaron who broke Babe Ruth's record. Barry Bonds broke Hank Aaron's record.

How'd you do in history in school?

I think we all know the answer to that.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies