Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 02:53 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I believe that Muslims are supposed to give their sons only certain first names that are on some kind "okay" list.
Even African-Americans that convert to Islam usually rename themselves with a Muslim first name this topic makes me want to beat my brains out of my head. I have no problem pronouncing Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, or Japanese names, what is it with other Americans that can't do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 03:36 AM

315 posts, read 256,320 times
Blacks who live and are born here don't get American names. Malika, Trayvon. LMAO.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:32 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
Blacks who live and are born here don't get American names. Malika, Trayvon. LMAO.
Does having an "American" name only apply to everyone except non-Hispanic whites or can people still have names like Vladimir, Mikhail, Jørgen, Matevž or Žig?

Old 04-14-2013, 05:39 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
American names, LOL now thats a good one. No such a thing exists.
Ok, Hebrew names, will that help you to show some respect to the OP?

Old 04-14-2013, 05:40 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
And it's such a help to them as they make their way through life.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:48 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
I have mexican friends who have very standard names i guess you could say but they are very americanized. Its the illegals and hispanics who dont assimilate who stick to names of their native country.

My friends Juan and Jose have names that have been standard in the southwest and west United States for centuries.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
My friends Juan and Jose have names that have been standard in the southwest and west United States for centuries.
Good European names, those are too.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:09 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Some first names just don't go well with last names. If you are Asian and your last name is Lee, for example, your parents can pretty much choose whatever first name they want. I don't think I've ever seen a killer of an Asian last name.

I asked my mother why she named me "Laura" because if I was a boy, I was going to be John. I thought this was a total lack of imagination on the part of my parents until I realized my rather long and difficult to pronounce Italian-American one-of-a-kind last name gave them limited options.
Tho for "funny" there's a dude with the last name "Wang" in Phoenix; he's an electrician but he ain't of Chinese family, he's white and his 1st name is "Nils". I think his family came from Sweden or Denmark.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
OP, don't Chinese kids get secret "Chinese" names? The Indians give their kids Indian names, e.g. Vishnu, etc.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Does having an "American" name only apply to everyone except non-Hispanic whites or can people still have names like Vladimir, Mikhail, Jørgen, Matevž or Žig?
It would be kind of cruel to give a kid a name that he's never going to be able to spell or pronounce. Especially a vampire name. Asians like others seem to try to give kids names that make it easier for them to fit into American culture.

A guy i work with was telling us about his cousin who was named was Xochitl because apparently his uncle was eager enough to leave his culture when it came to American dollars but was going to impose it on his kids, maybe some guilt trip kind of thing. They moved away from the border and the girl would go to school and they'd call her Ex Oh ****tell. She started to use the name "Susi" instead. This guy was giving his kids names that would help them fit in rather than make them look foreign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies