Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 10:45 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,479,927 times

Advertisements

Actually is it usually due to the difficulty in the name. They rather avoid it. Those are European names you are refering to. The only actual US names are the ones that some would consider "black" names. They only exist in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 10:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,706,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
"Pong" would be another common Chinese American name.
I suppose it would make a good second name.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:12 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,592,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sure, "Ping" is very common Chinese American name.

I agree with the other poster who said there is no such thing as "American name".

On a second thought, there ARE American names. They would be names which exist ONLY in US. Examples: Kobe, Shaqille and Shaquanza.
Tex, Billy Bob, BUBBA, Cowpoop, etc.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:16 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,706,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Tex, Billy Bob, BUBBA, Cowpoop, etc.
Hmm.... Billy Bob Cheg. It has a nice ring to it, but I don't think I ever ran into a Chinese American with such name

Old 04-13-2013, 01:59 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,924,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I assume you mean Anglo names. There are many ethnic names that are quite common in America, such as Maria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
American names, LOL now thats a good one. No such a thing exists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Thinker View Post
Funny, and true

Just goes to show how the Asians are still smarter lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sure, "Ping" is very common Chinese American name.

I agree with the other poster who said there is no such thing as "American name".

On a second thought, there ARE American names. They would be names which exist ONLY in US. Examples: Kobe, Shaqille and Shaquanza.
Uh; I QUOTED a "Chinese" American poster; Tom Lennox 70, who used the word "American" when talking about names.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:18 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,102,959 times
Then both you AND Tom Lennox 70 would be WRONG and factually incorrect in both of your assumptions.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:20 PM

52,317 posts, read 52,784,279 times
I think it just boils down to Hispanic names in many cases being easier to pronounce than some of the Asian names...

Just my 3 cents...

Old 04-13-2013, 02:34 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,580,626 times
This whole thread is wrongheaded, ignorant and misses the main point.

Hispanics are naming their children Christian names in their native language. You would THINK this would make conservatives happy. Alas, it becomes another issue that makes conservatives look foolish and hypocritical.

Asians that come here are often times Christian also. Can the OP or the author of the column name for me the equivalent of names such as John, Jacob, Mary, Peter etc. in Chinese, Korean or Vietnamese?

Yeah, that's what I thought you said.

One of my best friend's name is Pyetr. Guess what? Nobody gives a damn that this is Russian for Peter.

G-d forbid his name be Pedro.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:41 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,924,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
This whole thread is wrongheaded, ignorant and misses the main point.

Hispanics are naming their children Christian names in their native language. You would THINK this would make conservatives happy. Alas, it becomes another issue that makes conservatives look foolish and hypocritical.

Asians that come here are often times Christian also. Can the OP or the author of the column name for me the equivalent of names such as John, Jacob, Mary, Peter etc. in Chinese, Korean or Vietnamese?

Yeah, that's what I thought you said.

One of my best friend's name is Pyetr. Guess what? Nobody gives a damn that this is Russian for Peter.

G-d forbid his name be Pedro.
Uh; it's IGNORANT for a family wanting to keep their kids in the ghetto, barrio, tenement and so on. Having a "local" name does help. In the US it'd be Robert, John, Mary, Susan and so on. In LatAm it'd be Jose, Maria, Juan, Carmen and so on. Germany it'd be Hans, Maria, Johann, Gisela and so on. Israel has its share of Hebrew names that are Ok there. Sheesh!

Old 04-13-2013, 04:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,953,424 times
Why do religious conservatives name their children form the Bible...Like Isaac, Rachel, Joshua, Rebecca or Ezekiel...but not Jesus, Joseph, or Mary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies