Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 02:30 PM

510 posts, read 889,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Surely, gun control opponents would tell you that anyone who has been shot by a gun before is in no good, unbiased position to make any sound judgments on what do do about guns.
I've been shot and think gun control is a huge waste of time. There's still going to be gun crime, I even think it would probably increase due to emboldened criminals knowing victims won't be able to defend themselves.
My disgust for the NRA is that they are 'controlled opposition' and corporate lobbyists. If they were about the second amendment, they would be advocating for full auto....but they've said in the past they don't believe citizens should have machine guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 03:57 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,594,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
As someone who supports the Second Amendment — and enjoys shooting firearms — I was struck by something President Obama said at Monday's Connecticut event on reducing gun violence. He spoke of how the National Rifle Association and its lapdogs in Congress have turned guns into a wedge issue to divide Americans, and make us think we have to choose between the Constitution and public safety.

Why I like guns but hate the NRA - The Week
Obama is the one who has made it a wedge issue. Too bad the ****ing piece of **** didn't have enough balls to run on gun control though. He is using those dead children for his own political gain. **** him and anyone who supports him.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:07 PM

40,953 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Obama is the one who has made it a wedge issue.
Obama makes all issues wedge issues. He bullies his opinion and if you disagree you must be a crazed, gay hater, child killer.

Listen to him talk. The man cannot discuss but lectures.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:18 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,903,245 times
Quote:
As someone who supports the Second Amendment — and enjoys shooting firearms — I was struck by something President Obama said at Monday's Connecticut event on reducing gun violence. He spoke of how the National Rifle Association and its lapdogs in Congress have turned guns into a wedge issue to divide Americans, and make us think we have to choose between the Constitution and public safety.

Oh Obama has so much moral authority to talk about dividing the country.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:36 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,594,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Oh Obama has so much moral authority to talk about dividing the country.
Actually he does. Noone is better at doing it.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:37 PM

40,953 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Actually he does. Noone is better at doing it.
He sells a lot of guns also. Great for the economy.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:51 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:

The Constitution is the law of the land. There is nothing in it about safety. Freedom is not safe.

Before someone goes and looks it up, Article I, Section 9 does mention safety during insurrection and invasion. Just nothing about day to day life and safety.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
The link has one thing wrong. It was not Wayne LaPierre who coined the phrase 'jack booted thugs' about the BATF. It was John Dingle (D, MI) who deserves that honor. More to the point, it was accurate. What else would you call an agency that entraps a citizen into selling an illegal gun (Weaver was eventually acquitted on the basis of entrapment), which culminates in the killing of his wife and child?

And how exactly is it "common sense" to focus on background checks in the wake of Sandy Hook and Aurora? Both involved guns that were legally purchased and duly background checked? Wouldn't common sense dictate a focus on mental illness, which was the crux in both incidents?

It's like if my car crashes due to brake failure, instead of fixing the brakes I install that super surround sound stereo that I've been wanting for a few years. 'Common sense,' right?

Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Typical thread trajectory. Lefties love to get in their snarky insults against the demon NRA, but once they are challenged with facts they suddenly lose interest. pull up stakes, and skedaddle.

The NRA is probably the most successful pro-liberty, pro-civil rights organization of the last 50 years. Without the NRA and ACLU, the police state and Big Brother would be in full control, and freedom would be a distant memory.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:51 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Typical thread trajectory. Lefties love to get in their snarky insults against the demon NRA, but once they are challenged with facts they suddenly lose interest. pull up stakes, and skedaddle.

The NRA is probably the most successful pro-liberty, pro-civil rights organization of the last 50 years. Without the NRA and ACLU, the police state and Big Brother would be in full control, and freedom would be a distant memory.
Look, I'm on the conservative side on this issue. With that said, I see the NRA as a problem. They are unwavering, and they give fodder to those who want to tighten the screws.

Then again, you could also see the NRA as being similar to a labor union. They just aren't going to budge on their positions no matter how hard you try. That can be bad, but it can be good.

It just depends on the mood of the country, and quite frankly the country is ready for background checks at the very minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies