Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:51 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,981,108 times

Advertisements

Every day people on this board, real life, and everywhere else I hear many black people insist that "if you have black blood, you are black and nothing else" or "you are black and that's all there is too it" or "anyone who can't go to a KKK rally is black" (ignoring that said thinking means Asians, Mestizo Latinos, Native Americans would be black too ) Or the ever popular "all blacks are mixed! Just because you have four times the average amount of European DNA than most black Americans don't mean nothin'!"

For those who don't know, the "one drop rule" is a "rule" that came around exclusively in the US. It said that anyone with noticeable black blood would be considered black regardless of admixture. Reason being was originally because there were limited black slaves after it was made illegal to bring slaves in from Africa in 1807 and the children of slave masters and slaves were suddenly a prized commodity. If all mixed slaves were considered white and set free there would be less slaves and so they were considered black. This practice counting all mixed people black continued for awhile but was finally banned 1967.

Well, in the year 2013, plenty of blacks still abide by it. They swear up and down that Obama is black when really he is mixed and in Africa he would be called abruni, mzungu, or a bunch of other terms reserved for white people. They are quick to claim Maria Carey as black when clearly she is about as black as Shaquille O'neal is Irish. In their eyes, anyone with a tan is black. And yes, it is mostly black people who have this view, as studies have shown: "55% of whites considered Obama as biracial after being told that Obama's mother was white and his Kenyan father was black. Even more Hispanics -- 61% -- also saw Obama as biracial. But interestingly, 66% of the blacks polled classified Obama as black"
How Far Have We Really Come from the "One-Drop Rule"? | PR Watch

But here's the thing: blacks are all up in arms about Treyvon Martin, this "innocent kid" being shot by George Zimmerman, this "mean white guy"...WHEN ZIMMERMAN IS ABOUT 1/4 BLACK! He has one 100% black great grandparent and the rest of his family seems to have some black black blood as well.

So what's the deal? Some blacks want to claim everyone with a hint of black blood...but only as long as it is convenient

If you believe in the idiotic, outdated, America-centric "one drop rule" than at least be consistent about it. If you insist that I am black because I am half black (yellow and blue makes yellowish blue ) then by all means, insist that George Zimmerman is also black and hence the shooting of class cutting, weed smoking, school yard fighting wannabee thuglet Treyvon Martin was "two brothas goin' at it." And spare me, SPARE ME the whole "well, Zimmerman doesn't identify as black" line. Plenty of mix people don't identify as black but so many blacks still consider them as such (i.e, Tiger Woods)

So come on, if you consider Jessica Szohr black (1/4 black):

If you consider Slash black (1/2 black):

Then you should also consider this guy to be black:

And FOR THE RECORD: I am not saying all black people believe in the idiotic one drop rule. But the ones who do (who are usually also the ones who blame racism for everything from why they can't get a job to why they lost their car keys) get on my last nerve.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:54 PM

104 posts, read 83,012 times
Never heard of it, which means this isn't an issue on the national stage. Posting stupid threads in an attempt to gain stupid attention, does that make one stupid? Debate.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:56 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,095 times
You need help.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:14 PM

11,268 posts, read 11,032,046 times
Maybe there's an unwritten rule that states when both people involved are black, they go with the one that's "blacker"...?

Old 04-13-2013, 09:38 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Every day people on this board, real life, and everywhere else I hear many black people insist that "if you have black blood, you are black and nothing else" or "you are black and that's all there is too it" or "anyone who can't go to a KKK rally is black" (ignoring that said thinking means Asians, Mestizo Latinos, Native Americans would be black too ) Or the ever popular "all blacks are mixed! Just because you have four times the average amount of European DNA than most black Americans don't mean nothin'!"

For those who don't know, the "one drop rule" is a "rule" that came around exclusively in the US. It said that anyone with noticeable black blood would be considered black regardless of admixture. Reason being was originally because there were limited black slaves after it was made illegal to bring slaves in from Africa in 1807 and the children of slave masters and slaves were suddenly a prized commodity. If all mixed slaves were considered white and set free there would be less slaves and so they were considered black. This practice counting all mixed people black continued for awhile but was finally banned 1967.

Well, in the year 2013, plenty of blacks still abide by it. They swear up and down that Obama is black when really he is mixed and in Africa he would be called abruni, mzungu, or a bunch of other terms reserved for white people. They are quick to claim Maria Carey as black when clearly she is about as black as Shaquille O'neal is Irish. In their eyes, anyone with a tan is black. And yes, it is mostly black people who have this view, as studies have shown: "55% of whites considered Obama as biracial after being told that Obama's mother was white and his Kenyan father was black. Even more Hispanics -- 61% -- also saw Obama as biracial. But interestingly, 66% of the blacks polled classified Obama as black"
How Far Have We Really Come from the "One-Drop Rule"? | PR Watch

But here's the thing: blacks are all up in arms about Treyvon Martin, this "innocent kid" being shot by George Zimmerman, this "mean white guy"...WHEN ZIMMERMAN IS ABOUT 1/4 BLACK! He has one 100% black great grandparent and the rest of his family seems to have some black black blood as well.

So what's the deal? Some blacks want to claim everyone with a hint of black blood...but only as long as it is convenient

If you believe in the idiotic, outdated, America-centric "one drop rule" than at least be consistent about it. If you insist that I am black because I am half black (yellow and blue makes yellowish blue ) then by all means, insist that George Zimmerman is also black and hence the shooting of class cutting, weed smoking, school yard fighting wannabee thuglet Treyvon Martin was "two brothas goin' at it." And spare me, SPARE ME the whole "well, Zimmerman doesn't identify as black" line. Plenty of mix people don't identify as black but so many blacks still consider them as such (i.e, Tiger Woods)

So come on, if you consider Jessica Szohr black (1/4 black):

If you consider Slash black (1/2 black):

Then you should also consider this guy to be black:

And FOR THE RECORD: I am not saying all black people believe in the idiotic one drop rule. But the ones who do (who are usually also the ones who blame racism for everything from why they can't get a job to why they lost their car keys) get on my last nerve.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 04-13-2013, 09:49 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,603,034 times
We get it. You're not all Black.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
We get it. You're not all Black.
Yeh....he's been broadcasting that since the Pleistocene Epoch..........

Old 04-13-2013, 09:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Not to mention, GZ is not part black; he's part hispanic. I saw a picture of his Ecuadorean grandfather; he wasn't black; he looked like a South American Native American. Oh wait, that's what he was!

Old 04-13-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not to mention, GZ is not part black; he's part hispanic. I saw a picture of his Ecuadorean grandfather; he wasn't black; he looked like a South American Native American. Oh wait, that's what he was!

He was a black Peruvian, as black as black gets.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Translation: When there is nothing intelligent to say to a post you see the consistency of but do not like, you troll away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies