Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Well -- there used to be more security that you could go to work and not have Middle Easterns hijack a plane to destroy the building you're in, and there used to be a right to run in the Boston Marathon without Middle Easterners' bombs in place to kill and maim everyone near the finish line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 07:35 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- there used to be more security that you could go to work and not have Middle Easterns hijack a plane to destroy the building you're in, and there used to be a right to run in the Boston Marathon without Middle Easterners' bombs in place to kill and maim everyone near the finish line.
Here, in the U.S., perhaps in 1973 there was no expectation of terror attacks organized by fundamentalist Arab nationalists, though I seem to recall that in that year and for some years before Americans had experienced civil violence, including bombing, by radical groups of one sort or another, and certainly elsewhere in the world terror attacks were not unknown: IRA, Red Brigades, Bader-Meinhof, PLO, etc., etc.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,238 times
In an America with a full respect for the Bill of Rights, there would be no Federal Communications Commission regulating the airwaves and forbidding certain speech, no Federal Election Commission limiting how much Americans can donate to political candidates or what they can say in independent political ads, no Food and Drug Administration harassment of pharmaceutical and wine producers regarding their commercial speech, no federal laws that have anything to do with religion whatsoever, and no federally established "free-speech zones."

There would be no laws disarming Americans, prohibiting airlines from allowing pilots or passengers to carry guns on planes, or limiting how much ammo or what kind of firearms people can buy and own.

There would be no Patriot Act, no secret searches, no spying on telecommunications without a warrant.

There would be no civil asset forfeiture, no horrendous eminent domain abuses, no kangaroo courts, star chambers and phony hearings for the accused.

There would be no torture in America's "terrorist" dungeons.

There would be no federal laws against starting a business without a license, buying and selling drugs, competing with the government to provide its "services" at a better cost and higher quality, or seceding from the central state.

There would be no federal programs not authorized by the Constitution: no Departments of Energy or Education, no Medicare or Obamacare or Social Security, no Federal Reserve or Selective Service, no farm subsidies or corporate welfare.

Last edited by OhioRules; 04-16-2013 at 07:57 AM..

Old 04-16-2013, 07:40 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
This is an honest question, intended not only for those on the right, but also on the left. Both complain of lost liberties, but rarely is such a list compiled. I'm not looking for generalities, but specific freedoms that you believe have been lost.
Besides the most glaringly obvious freedom denying piece of legislation, as in ObamaCare?

It's been a rather subtle loss of market freedom over the years. Slowly but surely we have been watching our options and choices shrink over the years. Our choices in what we can purchase have dwindled, due to mountains of new federal regulations.

For example, we can still buy large home appliances, like washer, drier, frig, air conditioner, but the only ones we can buy are those government has decided meet their standards for what we are allowed to buy.

The CAFE standards alone, dictate what cars we are allowed to buy. People think still have a freedom of choice to buy any car we want, but do we really? No, we don't, the choices available to us are only those which the government bureaucrats have decided we are allowed to choose from.

There are also products and services that we cannot buy, because our government has made it impossible to start businesses to build these items and create those new jobs. I remember Steve Wozniak stating that the Apple Computer company would be impossible to create with today's federal regulations. He said there would be no way on earth they could build computers out of a garage today, the mountains of regulatory paperwork and hurdles would make it impossible.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:41 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
"This message brought to you by Anarchist Fantasists of Amerika."

Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Do you have information that the rest of us don't? Because I currently live in Boston and they haven't released information yet on who or what group planted the bombs at the Boston Marathon. Do you have some magical insider knowledge that it was a Middle Easterner that did it? I'm sure the Boston PD would love to hear from you in that case.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:54 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The freedom to decide if my bar or restaurant will allow smoking.

The freedom to decide if I want to wear a seat belt.

The freedom to drive down the road without being stopped by police and having to prove my innocence.

The freedom to speak on the phone without LE listening in without a warrant.

The freedom to send email without LE filtering for things they don't agree with.

The freedom from unreasonable searches because the government thinks I might be a terrorist.

Freedom of speech; The Government may now prosecute librarians or keepers of any other records if they reveal that the government requested information on their clients or members in the course of an investigation. It has become a crime for these individuals to try to safeguard your privacy or to tell you that you are under investigation.

Freedom of privacy. Law Enforcement may now demand any personal records held by any source including your doctor,employer, accountant, or library. All they have to do is claim that it is related to an investigation into
“terrorism.” The record keepers may not reveal that your records were provided to the government.

In some states like CO, the freedom to collect rain water.

The freedom to smoke flavored cigarettes.

In some cities, the freedom to eat foie gras.

The freedom to drive down the road without being videoed.

The freedom to have a toilet that only needs to be flushed once.

The freedom to choose what light bulbs are right for me.

The Freedom to have a shower head that produces the amount of water that I think is right for me.

The freedom to buy a gun without telling the government about it.

The freedom to not have your front door bashed in by a SWAT that thinks you might be a bad guy.

The freedom to choose a health insurance plan that does not cover pregnancy, abortion, contraception and many other government mandated services.

The freedom to NOT have health insurance.

The freedom to not be arrested for protesting near the president.

The freedom to not be labeled a terrorist based on where you go, what you take pictures of and what you post online.

The freedom from drones flying over our property to spy on us.

The freedom from our government collecting information on innocent citizens. The American government is collecting and storing virtually every phone call, purchases, email, text message, internet searches, social media communications, health information, employment history, travel and student records, and virtually all other information of every American.

The freedom from "black boxes" installed in your car to track your movements.

The freedom to travel within 100 miles of the border without being stopped and asked to prove you are an American citizen.

The ability to travel without the DHS looking at your laptop data and other private information. Federal agents at the border do not need any reason to search through travelers’ laptops, cell phones or digital cameras for evidence of crimes, a federal appeals court ruled Monday, extending the government’s power to look through belongings like suitcases at the border to electronics.

This is only a start. There are dozens and dozens more.
Interesting list. But didn't they drop the no-more-incandescent lightbulbs thing?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:02 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
I'd like someone from New York to chime in.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:02 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I hate the "Politically Correct" crap. To me, it is all BS

just say what you mean, and don't sugar coat it. ugh, and to think we make these rules up.

we cant even say what we mean here on CD, and we get infractions, seriously....

Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Lots of people think driving is a right...well they say priviledge but they want it to be a treated like a right.

If you dont want to hook up your seat-belt take a bus. I could care less if you buckle up...but somehow other people care that you and your family are not injured in a wreck.

I would be OK if you didnt want to wear a seatbelt so long as you placed a big placard on your car...In case of emergency...Do Not call 911, Do Not attempt to rescue me, or take me to the Hospital...push me out of traffic and Leave me to the buzzards.

I'm OK with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies