Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:39 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times

Advertisements

Family of teen killed by car awarded $90 million by jury - U.S. News=

These verdicts will automatically be over turned. But it's the problem we have with high prices of everything. Not just the school system having to carry liabililty insurance. But big Pharma, hospitals, doctors, manufactuers. It's sue sue sue.

Juries "like to send a message". "as a deterrent". This is why I do not like the civil jury system. It's not beyond a reasonable doubt. It's always a preponderance of the evidence. And often times it isn't a unaminous verdict. Sometimes a 7-2, 9-3 decision. Many states require only a majority, not unaminous.

The simple matter is the girl failed to look both ways before crossing the street.

What's next? Someone suing a local mall because they don't have traffic lanes at every corner on the property and someone gets hit and killed?

Blame the teenage girl who didn't look. Blame the actual car that hit her. But it's always, sue the ones with the biggest pockets.

Ridiculous verdict.

Prince George's county in a predominantly African American county outside of Washington DC for those who aren't familiar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
“I didn’t ask anyone to give me any money or anything like that,” her mother said. “I just want someone held responsible for what happened to my daughter.”
yah- right!

Here in Mass we have a law that states pedestrians automatically have the right of way. It sounds sensible until you get behind the wheel of your car and see the people step right out into traffic directly in front of you because they have the right of way. A friend of mine moved here from another state and he almost hit several people because he wasn't prepared for them to just step right out in front of him. It's insane.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:48 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
There isn't enough information here for me to make a judgement on guilt but indeed we do need tort reform.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:56 AM

1,127 posts, read 903,447 times
The girl wasn't the only one hit, another kid was hit as was another car. It seems like this wasn't just the girls fault.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:58 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
The simple matter is the girl failed to look both ways before crossing the street.
Where did you get this? It's no where in the article.

From the article:
Quote:
The morning of Sept. 1, 2009, a Lincoln Continental hit 13-year-old Ashley Davis as she crossed Brinkley Road to get to her school bus stop. Some of her classmates watched in horror. The car then struck a minivan and a 17-year-old boy.
Sounds like the cars fault, not the girls. You are blaming the victim of the accident.

The article also talks about the repeated documentation provided by the district that the policy was to pick her up on that side of the street, instead of making her cross a busy street. They failed their own policy and enforcement many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Prince George's county in a predominantly African American county outside of Washington DC for those who aren't familiar.
Oh, I see. Blacks are just looking to take money. Now I see the reason for all these lies and outrage.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:16 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
There is just not enough information to form a opinion one way or the other, I feel for her families lost.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
There is just not enough information to form a opinion one way or the other, I feel for her families lost.
I feel sorry for the family's loss too, but $90 million? No. It is way past tort reform time in this country. Requiring unanimous awards would go a long way towards achieving that, as would caps on punitive damages.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:53 AM

97 posts, read 398,519 times
My parents taught me to look both ways before crossing the street.

Common sense and self-preservation would dictate that in an area with moving 2-Ton projectiles, one would check before making a deadly decision. Perhaps this is nature's way of weeding out those without the abilities to make decisions to preserve their own lives.

Maybe with that $90M, the mother can go take a class on being a parent.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:28 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
My parents taught me to look both ways before crossing the street.

Common sense and self-preservation would dictate that in an area with moving 2-Ton projectiles, one would check before making a deadly decision. Perhaps this is nature's way of weeding out those without the abilities to make decisions to preserve their own lives.

Maybe with that $90M, the mother can go take a class on being a parent.
For all you know the cross walk sign told her to cross. For all you know this is a busy intersection with many instances in the past. Maybe she did look both ways but the car ran the light.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:35 PM

97 posts, read 398,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
For all you know the cross walk sign told her to cross. For all you know this is a busy intersection with many instances in the past. Maybe she did look both ways but the car ran the light.
I don't have to know all of the details. A crosswalk sign does not preclude one from checking the roadway. It is like the backup cameras in cars...just because you have one doesn't mean you shouldn't check over both shoulders before moving.

If a car is still moving when you are about to cross, wait for them to stop. Common sense.

I'd probably be a little more soft on this if someone wasn't taking home a $90M payout.

Used to be, accidents happened. Some things you had to deal with as a matter of chance or fate. Nowadays, there is ALWAYS someone at fault and they always have deep pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies