Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 08:01 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Oh please.. there will be lawyers crawling out of the woodwork willing to take his case just to get their name on television.
The men at Gitmo have lawyers too. They get to see their clients, maybe twice a month with permission.
Would you trust this gov't to provide you with an attorney? This kid will not be heard from again, if our rulers have anything to say about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 08:40 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
When did conservatives become so concerned with rights? You couldn't find one that cared about Rodney King getting his ass kicked and beaten by what four cops. Now the Republicans all of sudden care about criminals rights? Amazing!!

I haven't seen anyone mention the camera videoing people as they walk by and the legality of that. Hmmm.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
The men at Gitmo have lawyers too. They get to see their clients, maybe twice a month with permission.
Would you trust this gov't to provide you with an attorney? This kid will not be heard from again, if our rulers have anything to say about it.
He's not a kid, he's an adult. He's a murderer of innocent women and a child. He was caught on tape standing right behind the 8 year old boy who was killed a few moments later by the IED he placed basically at the boy's feet. He horribly maimed dozens of people who had never even considered harming him or infringing on his Constitutional rights.

Speaking of which, I do believe this ADULT should receive the same rights regarding a trial that I would.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Here's a nice quote, it's from "A man for All Seasons":

William Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!
Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
William Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!
Sir Thomas More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
LOL sorry that I repeated what you posted.

Good job, by the way.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:47 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Here's a nice quote, it's from "A man for All Seasons":

William Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!
Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
William Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!
Sir Thomas More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Im sorry lame argument ... really that is the best you could come up with ????

Old 04-20-2013, 09:07 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Federal public defender for MA said they will represent the bomber.

Article also says a special interrogation team is flying in to talk to him.
Wonder where they are flying in from...Gitmo ?

Public defenders will represent Boston bomb suspect - CBS News
The link says the Fed. P.D. expects to represent the suspect AFTER he is charged. At this point he has not been charged. Will the special interrogation team question him BEFORE he is actually represented by the Fed. P.D. Office?

Old 04-20-2013, 09:38 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
The Volokh Conspiracy » Tsarnaev and Miranda Rights
Quote:
A lot of people assume that the police are required to read a suspect his Miranda rights upon arrest. That is, they assume that one of a person’s rights is the right to be read their rights. It often happens that way on Law & Order, but that’s not what the law actually requires. The police aren’t required to follow Miranda. Miranda is a set of rules the government can chose to follow if they want to admit a person’s statements in a criminal case in court, not a set of rules they have to follow in every case.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
When did conservatives become so concerned with rights? You couldn't find one that cared about Rodney King getting his ass kicked and beaten by what four cops. Now the Republicans all of sudden care about criminals rights? Amazing!!

I haven't seen anyone mention the camera videoing people as they walk by and the legality of that. Hmmm.
Congragulations on making one of the most asinine postings on the thred..

Old 04-20-2013, 10:25 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post

It doesn't matter if they are hypocrites, although that makes THEIR reputation questionable, the point they bring up may be legitimate.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:30 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
He's not a kid, he's an adult. He's a murderer of innocent women and a child. He was caught on tape standing right behind the 8 year old boy who was killed a few moments later by the IED he placed basically at the boy's feet. He horribly maimed dozens of people who had never even considered harming him or infringing on his Constitutional rights.

Speaking of which, I do believe this ADULT should receive the same rights regarding a trial that I would.
Allegedly!!! Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, correct?
It's nice that you believe he should have the same rights as you, but the truth is he won't be given that opportunity, and you don't have as many rights as you think you do. It all depends on what they can get away with.
He is an innocent kid to me.
Quote:
The long-troubled military trials at Guantanamo Bay were hit by revelations earlier this year that a secret censor had the ability to cut off courtroom proceedings [3], and that there were listening devices disguised as smoke detectors [4] in attorney-client meeting rooms.
Now, another potential instance of compromised confidentiality at the military commissions has emerged: Defense attorneys say somebody has accessed their email and servers.
Gitmo Defense Lawyers Say Somebody Has Been Accessing Their Emails - ProPublica

plus this:
Can you imagine your defense attorney telling you that your files have been lost or erased?

Quote:
The text of the motions is not yet public but defense lawyer Cheryl Bormann told POLITICO that the problem involves the loss of a large number of defense computer files.
"Since January 2013, we've been losing documents," Bormann said Tuesday. "Until recently, we didn’t understand how grievous that issue was...Right now, we know that at least seven gigabytes of information is gone for good."
Bormann blamed a Pentagon-provided computer system installed to allow defense lawyers to get timely access to documents both in the Washington area and at Guantanamo. Rather than putting copies of the documents on servers here and there, the system appears to have erased a large number of them completely.
A Pentagon spokesman declined to comment on the situation.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-...er-161430.html

Last edited by claudhopper; 04-20-2013 at 11:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies