Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:19 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

I've been reading quite a bit around these here parts about the Constitution, the Founding Fathers, Laissez Faire Capitalism and how in some bygone day before Roosevelt there was this period where the Federal government didn't intervene in the economy. As I have stated before, this is the stuff of mythology. So, for anyone who is really interested about what really was going on back in the day...

Murray N. Rothbards, "The Panic of 1819, Reactions and Policies."

http://www.mises.org/rothbard/panic1819.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 06:27 AM

My goodness, who would have thunk?

"Aside from major controversies already discussed, other scattered proposals
and discussions appeared during the depression. Internal improvements financed
by the states, for example, were suggested in many quarters as remedial measures
for the depression, thus anticipating modern public works proposals.
These
suggestions were reflections of the growing interest in internal improvements
since the end of the War of 1812. An internal improvement drive was particularly
strong in Pennsylvania, an early leader in improvement sentiment.
Philadelphia’s Representative William Lehman, head of the Committee on Public
Roads of the Pennsylvania House, sponsored a bill, early in 1820, for the
appropriation of over $660 thousand on thirty projects throughout the state. One
million dollars was envisioned as the final goal of the plan. Lehman avowed that
the measure was necessary for the immediate relief of the portion of people
without employment.
"

Appendix A

Old 03-07-2009, 06:31 AM

558 posts, read 819,192 times
I'm truly shocked to see you reading anything from Rothbard or mises.org. I'll read this article later this week when I have more time.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:34 AM

Oh, by the way, the cause of the Panic of 1819? Contracted foreign markets, overvalued land, mortgage defaults and tightened credit!

Oh, goodness and not a Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, or a Community Reinvestment Agency in sight!

Old 03-07-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
I'm truly shocked to see you reading anything from Rothbard or mises.org. I'll read this article later this week when I have more time.
If that is the case, I won't send you my reading list, I wouldn't want you to have a heart attack.

As for Rothbard, or any of the Austrian economist, I certainly wouldn't dismiss their historical abilities, since that is pretty much the only thing that they do. There problem as theoretical economist is their steadfast refusal to put their theories to empirical testing. One doesn't need to be an empiricist to do history.

PS - I didn't over analyze Rothbard's cause and effects, or in his emphasis on any particular proponent or the policies they supported, each of those issues is tangential to the overriding issue.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:02 AM

Hmmmm, this is going as expected.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:31 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I've been reading quite a bit around these here parts about the Constitution, the Founding Fathers, Laissez Faire Capitalism and how in some bygone day before Roosevelt there was this period where the Federal government didn't intervene in the economy. As I have stated before, this is the stuff of mythology. So, for anyone who is really interested about what really was going on back in the day...

Murray N. Rothbards, "The Panic of 1819, Reactions and Policies."

http://www.mises.org/rothbard/panic1819.pdf
Fascinating read. I have not finished it yet, but am finding it very interesting.

Do you think we are capable of learning from our own history? Given the level of discourse in this country recently, I must wonder.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:33 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Hmmmm, this is going as expected.
Were you looking for intelligent debate? There's precious little of that here; name-calling and rigid adherence to party line talking points is the norm. Sorry.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
1819? Well, we have more modern examples. Before we try to become just like the Soviet Union, we should look at the reasons that it's Communist economy collapsed.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
1819? Well, we have more modern examples. Before we try to become just like the Soviet Union, we should look at the reasons that it's Communist economy collapsed.
Now that's a bizarre and nonsensical response to the topic at hand.

So let me restate the topic; there are those who suffer from the illusion that at some point during the found of this country, that laissez faire capitalism existed and that the government played no part in directing the economy with government regulation. There is also a misconception that the Federal government has no Constitutional role in either establishing the Federal reserve or taking an active part in either the regulation of the economy or in regulating the operation of private enterprises. The history of the Panic of 1819 demonstrates otherwise.

In short you are off topic, but thanks for the bump nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies