Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 02:53 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,371,167 times

Advertisements

the stupid is strong in this thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 02:59 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,429,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Since Ted Cruz came running with his hand out for disaster relief - after calling Hurricane Sandy aid "pork"? Even if I'm cool with having my tax dime help people caught in the inevitable consequences o laiisez-faire capitalism, it would be nice if their elected representatives weren't *******s about it.
I understand that he voted for the disaster relief and against the "Hurricane Sandy" relief bill which funded projects in California and other states across the country.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
Fro your first snetence it seems that has how even if true the reason is not what the regualtion is for. It only says that it has d to be reproted not that is sin't allowed. if this is aaacident then it would have made no difference as its allowed if reported.If DHS didn't know it existed the that is a problem with agensy as other agencies clearly knew which inspected them as reported.But i doubt DHS has the perosnnel to do inspection to a large degree any.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Okay, then you must be against proposed republican cuts to government regulations.

So, which government agency should have been overseeing this fertilizer plant? Homeland Security, OSHA or other?
IMO, it should have been an OSHA department, after all, OSHA is supposed to enforce workplace safety, correct?
Reading is fundamental. DHS took over the regulation via a terrorism bill as noted in the article.
DHS was overseeing and regulating only it was up to the fertilizer plants to tell the DHS that they needed regulating based on how much fertilizer they stored. It was a self-reporting process.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Since when did liberals ever care about anything or anyone from Texas?
This liberal IN Texas cares about Texas.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:40 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,967,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Per federal law, any storage of Amonium Nitrate in excess of 400 lbs must be reported to the Dept of Homeland Security, due to the destructive qualities of this substance, and it's use in terror attacks.

Reuters is reporting that West Fertilizer had over 500,000 lbs of this stuff at their West, TX facility, and DID NOT advise the authorities:

Texas fertilizer company didn't heed disclosure rules before blast | Reuters

Screw federal regulators, right? All they'll do is come in here and ask a lot of tough questions, maybe cut into our profit margin...

This is what you get, when you mix Third World capitalism with a First World state: 60 Americans dead or missing, and a small town in ruins

I hope state, local, and federal LE are on top of this one. I anticipate manslaughter charges against those responsible.
Hopefully no-one says it, but there are some downright unscrupulous and no morals people that would look at the deaths and destruction as a business opportunity to bury the dead and rebuild, making many profits from such as act, all from tax payer dollars.

People like these need a bullet in the brain.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:23 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,251,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Reading is fundamental. DHS took over the regulation via a terrorism bill as noted in the article.
DHS was overseeing and regulating only it was up to the fertilizer plants to tell the DHS that they needed regulating based on how much fertilizer they stored. It was a self-reporting process.
Really.
You never answered any of my queries directly, just trying to change the subject.

Good avoidance tactic, typical of people from the right.

I reiterate:
Quote:
Okay, then you must be against proposed republican cuts to government regulations.

So, which government agency should have been overseeing this fertilizer plant? Homeland Security, OSHA or other?
IMO, it should have been an OSHA department, after all, OSHA is supposed to enforce workplace safety, correct?

Old 04-21-2013, 04:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Really.
You never answered any of my queries directly, just trying to change the subject.

Good avoidance tactic, typical of people from the right.

I reiterate:
The proposed cuts are to budgets.
The only one that I'm aware of that is about regulations is about the EPA and their new list that contains carbon dioxide monitoring.

Agencies get cuts to their budgets. It's up to them to determine what gets cut.
If the USDA lays off all their inspectors but keeps all their office staff, how is that attributed to the GOP ?

Old 04-21-2013, 04:39 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,033,934 times
DHS strikes out again. How many more at bats will they get?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:29 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,283,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
This episode makes the DHS look like a bunch of kindergarten kids. Of course the place was full of explosives. It is not by a mile the first disaster involving a fertilizer plant. The fact a plant of this type is even allowed anywhere near a residential neighbourhood is stupidity to the max. BAD GUYS COULD EASILY PILFER THOUSANDS OF POUNDS OF THIS STUFF AND THE DHS WOULDN'T HAVE A CLUE UNTIL SOMETHING BIG AND FULL OF PEOPLE BLEW UP.
Ironically the people in the town would have been a lot better off if someone had... as they were sitting on the equivalant of an atom bomb without the radiation. There had been citations issued which saw no action and there was a history of fires as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies