Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 06:00 PM

504 posts, read 1,764,297 times

Advertisements

As any of you have read my posts, you know that I am a very outspoken person and also an atheist.
Today my heart weeps for all the Amish people that have always lived in peace and have never put thier religion on anyone else. The girls are just as important as the boys and thier work ethics are a sight to behold. Today a madman with a gun killed. murdered, slain, some of thier girls who wore plain long dresses with small bonnets in thier hair. This was not a Neo nazi attack, a white supremist attack or a bee bop attack this was a mad man with a gun. Today I am going to my hang my head and ask your God to please explain why people of this society that does everything right are having to deal with this. I hope all of you that have more beliefs that I also lower your head and ask what happened. I wish that I could give one small bit of comfort to the Amish people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 06:05 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times
I heard that story on the news and it's just terrible. Over the years I have done business with PA Amish and they are soft spoken, hard working people that don't bother anyone.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:16 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,740 times
This tragedy is beyond words or comprehension.

He puts his own children on a school bus, then goes to murder other people's children in retaliation for an incident that happened to him a decade before these little girls were even born.

What the ^&(*&$# is going on in this country?!?

Old 10-02-2006, 06:17 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
I was mortified when I hear about that. I, too have worked with the Amish over the years. To think that ANYONE could have an issue with this particular group of people is beyond me. To kill their children? Unbelievable.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:20 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
We got our Saint Bernard from an Amish family in lancaster, they were very gentle loving people, My heart goes out to them

Old 10-02-2006, 06:56 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
...this was a mad man with a gun. Today I am going to my hang my head and ask your God to please explain why....
His answer will be one word - SIN.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:10 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
His answer will be one word - SIN.
You are correct, as long as we live in sinful fallen world these kinds of things will happen. Was this God's will....no but he allowed it. He gave man a brain to make choices, this man rejected God. We all have a choice, the Bible says we will all one day stand before God. My heart also hurts for these people. But this is what can happen when you don't have Jesus in your heart. This make not make sense to anyone, but it's what I think about it. If you really want answers... read your Bible.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:18 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Quote:
As any of you have read my posts, you know that I am a very outspoken person and also an atheist.
Today my heart weeps for all the Amish people that have always lived in peace and have never put thier religion on anyone else. The girls are just as important as the boys and thier work ethics are a sight to behold. Today a madman with a gun killed. murdered, slain, some of thier girls who wore plain long dresses with small bonnets in thier hair. This was not a Neo nazi attack, a white supremist attack or a bee bop attack this was a mad man with a gun. Today I am going to my hang my head and ask your God to please explain why people of this society that does everything right are having to deal with this. I hope all of you that have more beliefs that I also lower your head and ask what happened. I wish that I could give one small bit of comfort to the Amish people.
It is indeed a horrific tragedy. When I learned of the children killed, I cried this afternoon. Believing in God explains a lot that being an atheist never could Alexander. For one thing, one of the basic tenets of Christianity is that all mankind is fallen, this world is fallen, and each and every one of us, including me and you, have evil hearts and an inclination and desire to sin. We are inclined to evil over good. You'll admit this is true if you think about your first impulses during an average day when you confront situations where your emotion says "***** 'em" or to lie, but find your conscience jumps in and you then have to make a decision, even if it's lightning quick, to do the right or the wrong thing. We all face this challenge every day, even saved Christians, even Amish people. That is our fallen nature. We think we're qualified to say who's a saint and who is good, but because we are so far removed from God's perfection that our own judgement is corroded when it comes to measuring and judging good and evil, we're not qualified if we attempt to measure ourselves and others against God's purity, perfection, and goodness. Even the Amish are as sinful as anyone else. Even Mother Theresa could not stand before God without having been washed by the blood of Jesus except by having been saved. Children are particularly precious to God and these children from what I understand weren't old enough to have reached the age of accountability, so their souls have gone straight to Jesus. Believing in God and the reason Jesus had to die (and rise again defeating Death and sin) for us explains a lot of why evil happens in this world Alexander. It is an inexplicable tragedy for the Amish and my heart aches for the tears and pain that community is undergoing, this kind of event is inexplicable to everyone, but, the Day of Judgement is coming and the man who shot these children to death will face the ultimate Judge.

Last edited by MoMark; 10-02-2006 at 08:28 PM..

Old 10-02-2006, 08:56 PM

311 posts, read 618,338 times
This is a heartbreaking story. I have the families of these precious children in my prayers.
I think the previous posts by Marks, I Love NC and MoMark are powerful statements and I would like to thank them for their message....
Please remember the families in your prayers.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:06 PM

311 posts, read 618,338 times
Quote:
alexander59, I join you in your weeping for these people who are suffering the loss of their children....you stated that you are an atheist and I am glad that even though you profess no belief in God you are willing to go to Him for help in finding answers.
It would be good if we "could give one small bit of comfort to the Amish people" as you mentioned above. I will pray and I hope you might join me in this, that God will provide comfort to them.....He always does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies