Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,849 times

Advertisements

I am tired of hearing reports of radical Islam spreading to Europe and the U.S. I mean, trying to seperate yourself and harm people just becasue they are Christian type of radicals. As much as I want us to live together peacefully and try to understand how these radicals think, there must be some form of mis-communication that is occuring to turn people towards this type of radicalism (I think thats a word). Not sure what my point is, but It makes me afraid that this type of radical religion that they say is in the name of God is spreading so fast. I hate to be so pessimistic, but I could see this truing into the next great war. Anyone have any solutions!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 12:38 PM

356 posts, read 1,129,238 times
I don't think mis-communication is the problem. Try things like poverty, manifest destiny, unequal distribution of resources.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:49 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
This thread has been re-directed from Religion & Philosophy.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:58 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
I am tired of hearing reports of radical Islam spreading to Europe and the U.S. I mean, trying to seperate yourself and harm people just becasue they are Christian type of radicals. As much as I want us to live together peacefully and try to understand how these radicals think, there must be some form of mis-communication that is occuring to turn people towards this type of radicalism (I think thats a word). Not sure what my point is, but It makes me afraid that this type of radical religion that they say is in the name of God is spreading so fast. I hate to be so pessimistic, but I could see this truing into the next great war. Anyone have any solutions!?!
try being gay or lesbian, and you would think the same thing about even the christians that already exist....
perspective....

Old 10-30-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
try being gay or lesbian, and you would think the same thing about even the christians that already exist....
perspective....
Funny you should mention that. This is one reason I am personally affraid of the spread of radicalism.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
Funny you should mention that. This is one reason I am personally affraid of the spread of radicalism.
well some would say gays and lesbians are radical... and others would say religious groups are....
that is why it is important that a government remain secular to ensure level playing field under the laws for everyone.. what they wish to believe and foster in their own homes is their own business...

Old 10-30-2007, 01:19 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
well some would say gays and lesbians are radical... and others would say religious groups are....
that is why it is important that a government remain secular to ensure level playing field under the laws for everyone.. what they wish to believe and foster in their own homes is their own business...
Except being gay or lesbian is not a religious belief or political philosophy. Gays aren't necessarily trying to spread any particular message, after all. There are conservative gays and liberal gays. Sure, there are political gays and lesbians and they advance their own issues they see benefitting gays and lesbians but it would be like saying Al Sharpton represents the views of all blacks because he is a "black leader".

As for radical Islam, I don't think the US has a problem with that from legal residents and citizens- unlike in Europe where there is a large problem with Muslims integrating into the overall culture. Alot of European countries have laws that basicly amount to harassment of Muslims, for instance French laws against wearing hijab. The policy of using Muslims as cheap labor has also created an underclass that doesn't really exist with US muslims, who hold jobs in all parts of the socioeconomic spectrum. In this way the problem of radical Islam in Europe is more like illegal Mexican/Central American immigration in the US.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:20 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
I remember on 9/11 Muslems in the streets of New Jersey celebrating. Muslems sending money to known terrorist groups that threaten attacks on US citizens. Muslem leadership refusing to openly critisize terrorist methods and attacks on inocents.
Radical religions no matter the faith are dangerous. Nothing makes them stronger than making excuses to condone their deeds.
Have we forgotten the beheadings of helpless prisoners? With a dull knife? Sawing at the victims flesh while he struggled for his life? A civilian mind you a construction worker. Not a soldier, not a politician.
No very few muslems behave this way, but enough do to warrent caution.
Forgive them if you wish, empathize if you wish, but no way can you tell me these actions against noncombatants or combatants is justified. The same folks who condemn water boarding a nonlethal excercise have no problem playing down the muslems crimes. I dont believe in torture per say, but I also realize we are dealing with some of the most dangerous of all. A religous zealot on a mission.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I remember on 9/11 Muslems in the streets of New Jersey celebrating. Muslems sending money to known terrorist groups that threaten attacks on US citizens. Muslem leadership refusing to openly critisize terrorist methods and attacks on inocents.
Radical religions no matter the faith are dangerous. Nothing makes them stronger than making excuses to condone their deeds.
Have we forgotten the beheadings of helpless prisoners? With a dull knife? Sawing at the victims flesh while he struggled for his life? A civilian mind you a construction worker. Not a soldier, not a politician.
No very few muslems behave this way, but enough do to warrent caution.
Forgive them if you wish, empathize if you wish, but no way can you tell me these actions against noncombatants or combatants is justified. The same folks who condemn water boarding a nonlethal excercise have no problem playing down the muslems crimes. I dont believe in torture per say, but I also realize we are dealing with some of the most dangerous of all. A religous zealot on a mission.
Yeah, its getting pretty creepy with this radicalism. I still think if there was some way we could open up the lines of communication with each other, that we could mitigate many possible conflicts, but Im just dreaming I suppose. But today I heard that many of these radicals preaching the isloation from Christians and throwing gays off of buildings. Talk about mis-communication and lack of understanding! Maby if they understood what christianity and being gay was all about, there wouldnt be such a problem and visa versa.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Except being gay or lesbian is not a religious belief or political philosophy. Gays aren't necessarily trying to spread any particular message, after all. There are conservative gays and liberal gays. Sure, there are political gays and lesbians and they advance their own issues they see benefitting gays and lesbians but it would be like saying Al Sharpton represents the views of all blacks because he is a "black leader".

As for radical Islam, I don't think the US has a problem with that from legal residents and citizens- unlike in Europe where there is a large problem with Muslims integrating into the overall culture. Alot of European countries have laws that basicly amount to harassment of Muslims, for instance French laws against wearing hijab. The policy of using Muslims as cheap labor has also created an underclass that doesn't really exist with US muslims, who hold jobs in all parts of the socioeconomic spectrum. In this way the problem of radical Islam in Europe is more like illegal Mexican/Central American immigration in the US.

I agree, I only pointed it out because there ARE people who believe being gay is a choice, therefore TO THEM it is a cultural political movement... which is absurd.. but.. hey.. it takes all types
I'm gay myself.. so I understand what you're saying.. but we elect people with radical christian ideals all the same... and if you want to take the position that europe has ALWAYS been christian and its the muslims making it radical... I think its a matter of who you ask.. I think there are radical aspects to almost every society.. its just a matter of who's got the most influence in pushing their agenda... We don't like muslims because they're stepping on our existing christian ideals... while some would argue.. it is not good for EITHER to be influential in our government and society...
I dunno, I just think of it no different than a mormon and a methodist going at it on who's right and should be able to assert that right onto the society.
I think the issues surrounding Islam hits the christian world more deeply because as radical as it is.. it causes us to re-evaluate ourselves.. and brings our own society into question.. and that pisses people off.. because afterall Judaeo-chrisitan society is what god wants...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies