Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:02 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times

Advertisements

I am in favor or raising the ceiling for the earned income credit. That gives some relief to people who are working and earning money and trying to support themselves through their own efforts. Although many people are making statements about the package already, this writeup is pretty thorough:

Los Angeles Times Staff Writers

October 26, 2007

WASHINGTON — The lead tax architect in Congress on Thursday unveiled a sweeping package of cuts and increases, which could become the blueprint for the Democrats' initiative to overhaul the tax code and restore what party members view as fairness in the U.S. economy
Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted articles

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2007 at 03:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 04:23 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times
Thumbs down Rangel = moron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I am in favor or raising the ceiling for the earned income credit. That gives some relief to people who are working and earning money and trying to support themselves through their own efforts. Although many people are making statements about the package already, this writeup is pretty thorough:

Los Angeles Times Staff Writers

October 26, 2007

WASHINGTON — The lead tax architect in Congress on Thursday unveiled a sweeping package of cuts and increases,(...)
Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted articles

Charlie Rangel = Moron. His tax plan will hit the middle class really hard. He can go to hell. These tax increases devastate the economy. When will idiots like this learn that?!? Sheeeesh!

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2007 at 03:35 AM..

Old 10-30-2007, 05:27 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
Taxes were way higher than they are now throughout most of the second half of the twentieth century, while we were ascending to prominence as the "ultimate superpower..." I don't think the economy'll be "devestated," especially considering the whole thing's supposed to be revenue-neutral. America has close to the lowest taxes in the industrialized world (we're always on some extreme side of everything in the developed world, for some reason).

Old 10-30-2007, 06:20 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
The article conflicts over who gets hit with a tax increase, but I certainly favor the rich paying a higher share of their income in more taxes. After all, famous billionaire Warren Buffet easily agrees with me. He took a survey of his office employees and found out the percentage of income that they have to pay in taxes was about double his own. Buffet also doubts that the economy would suffer if the rich had to pay more taxes.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:49 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
/\Buffet is by far my favorite billionaire. I live in a bigger house than him.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:53 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Charlie Rangel = Moron. His tax plan will hit the middle class really hard. He can go to hell. These tax increases devastate the economy. When will idiots like this learn that?!? Sheeeesh!
His tax plan CUTS taxes for 90 million taxpayers, and pays for them by raising it in millionaires. Millionaires won't take the expense of moving a corporation overseas to avoid a tax increase. I have the feeling that you didn't even read the article.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:56 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
I generally think the plan isn't bad, but want to see all of the details first. The AMT is terrible, it really needs to be fixed. I would be in favor of leaving standard deductions in place and reducing some tax increase on the wealthy.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:48 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Why sympathize with the wealthy and their taxes? Is it because their monthly mortgage payment on their mansion is $10,000, the second vacation home is $5,000 and their monthly Mercedes car payment is $2000? As a mid income earner, it's not my fault they chose to live life that way.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:02 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why sympathize with the wealthy and their taxes? Is it because their monthly mortgage payment on their mansion is $10,000, the second vacation home is $5,000 and their monthly Mercedes car payment is $2000? As a mid income earner, it's not my fault they chose to live life that way.
It has to do with risk, effort and reward. I simply have a very strong belief in the capitalist system, with some reasonable safety nets, and believe that those who achieve shouldn't have their wealth confiscated via tax policies. It isn't a matter of sympathy to me, it is a matter of being fair.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Their life style reflects their income just as yours and mine does. Remeber its not their fault we are not rich like them.
Everyone should pay an equal percentage for taxes just like state and loca. Its the only fair way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies