Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you fear the most?
Government ignoring our constitutional rights 27 60.00%
Terrorist attacks like 911 2 4.44%
Mad man attacks like OK City 3 6.67%
Foreign invasion 1 2.22%
Drug gangs and drug wars 0 0%
Carjackers and home invaders 1 2.22%
Big Business eliminating jobs 11 24.44%
Big Labor inflating costs 0 0%
Bullies at school 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:44 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times

Advertisements

You don't have this option: I fear the religious whacks taking over, overturning laws, making laws based on religion, indoctrinating kids into becoming hateful bigots, etc. etc. etc. It's already happening but I fear it becoming the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
You don't have this option: I fear the religious whacks taking over, overturning laws, making laws based on religion, indoctrinating kids into becoming hateful bigots, etc. etc. etc. It's already happening but I fear it becoming the norm.
They've already hijacked one of the major political parties.

These people need to realize: your elected representative put his hand on the bible and swore to uphold the Constitution, he didn't put his hand on the constitution and swear to uphold the bible.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:56 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Popeyes running out of spicy chicken tenders
What?!!!

There's a looming Popeye's shortage?

Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Just one group?

Republicans. Consistently poor economic planning. Consistent failure to lead. Consistent embracing of theocracy. Eager to trample on the constitution. It seems that following the Boston attack, the right wing talking heads are in a competition to see who can suggest eliminating the most of the constitution the fastest. It's a sickening spectacle to watch. One day they're crying about protecting our rights, then instantly it's time to toss out every amendment except the second.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
I was in very close proximity to the Murrah Bldg. Windows blew, chandeliers crashed, employees were knocked out of their chairs, etc. Yet I've never feared another similar attack.

Yes, it could (and likely will) happen again. If I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time, so be it. I'm as ready as I could be.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:08 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
The fear of big business removing jobs is my greatest apprehension. When people have a bit of money- everything else falls into place. From what I have learned living in a consumer society and in a liberal democracy is the lack of freedom through the lack of money generates all of our problems. It's a thing called material security and mobility...No money-no funny.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The fear of big business removing jobs is my greatest apprehension. When people have a bit of money- everything else falls into place. From what I have learned living in a consumer society and in a liberal democracy is the lack of freedom through the lack of money generates all of our problems. It's a thing called material security and mobility...No money-no funny.
Excellent observation. You can put it another way as well: when people do not have a bit of money everything else falls apart. This: growing impoverishment, lack of opportunity, and the destruction of the middle class is at the root of every other problem we have in the US today. Of Roosevelt's four freedoms, freedom from want is the most crucial.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:26 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Oddly enough, I didn't see Right Wing Nut Jobs listed in the poll.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
No, I have not lost any. At least I can't think of one that I lost.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:03 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Excellent observation. You can put it another way as well: when people do not have a bit of money everything else falls apart. This: growing impoverishment, lack of opportunity, and the destruction of the middle class is at the root of every other problem we have in the US today. Of Roosevelt's four freedoms, freedom from want is the most crucial.
My personal economy took a dive about 10 years ago resulting from a tax problem and the inability of my government to deal with me in a reasonable and realistic manner. The insisted on snatching 100% of my paychecks...In Canada they have this rule that "on termination" they can take all of your last check. Instead of taking a reasonable percentage they totally crippled me - They could not get their heads around someone working in the film industry - that we were "daily" employees...that every day was a termination till the producer called you back when you were needed.

Then they assumed I was a crook and was hoarding money...so they back filed "on my behalf" and insisted on money that never existed. Some years I made nothing...So I have a large tax debt and now I refuse to play and have been living hand to mouth ever since. Moral of the story? There is none other that how my life changed being in poverty and facing old age.

All of my stresses are due to money. Any depressions I suffer are due to the same. All disrespect I endure is because of the lack of cash..I have no mobility - I have not driven a car in 5 years...I am a prisoner of the state...with a wide range of movement that consists of a few city blocks. I can imagine how young people feel who are in a constant state of "want". Being older and experienced I can weave my way through and survive...a younger person would be absolutely discouraged and those that are long term unemployed will simply give up....Once human emotional depression sets in - economic depression like a disease - spreads...happy people without "want" generate and sustain a vibrant economy.

Put in simple terms- You take away their hope and your whole damned system will in time collapse. People are the economy. Tales of on coming gloom and doom generate a sad self inflicted forecast wound to a nation. Telling people there is no hope creates hopelessness...It would be better to lie to the public rather than destroy their resolve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies