Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 07:23 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Ever read the ingredients on a store bought loaf of bread? I'd rather eat tobacoo than that silent killer. you tabacoo haters are something to laugh at killing yourselves with junk you cant see or smell and turning around and attacking something you can.Clean up you own disgusting chemical laden life if you want to attack others lives.
A smoker's life becomes my life when I suck down their poison.

Every man should be able to poison their own body as they see fit. That's my American dream.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
No wonder celebrities are useless.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:29 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I was thinking of universities and prisons...where I've spent most of my time in recent years. It made no sense to have a smoke free building when you leave you walk into a cloud of arsenic and cyanide.

The parks scenario...hmm. I guess my problem there would be after being in your smoke zone for lunch you'd have folks going into inside exhibits. Those snake rooms or aquariums are always packed. Bad situation with the smoke-laden garb (our recently coined term...3rd hand). The science is going my way on that one. Tough call cuz you've eliminated 1st and 2nd. If we can have some kind of technology to measure the toxins you've put on your clothes then I suppose we could let the people decide on a reasonable percentage. Kind of like car emissions.

Well we are at a stale mate because I'm not about to argue the "3rd-hand" smoke thing. It's just so ridiculously stupid and of course the science is going to go your way on it, because you are never going to hear any kind of respected institution come out and say otherwise, even if it weren't a danger. They would just keep quiet on it before they would do that. It's all a part of this "war on smoking" that been going on for decades. Most anti-smokers want it eliminated from our society at any cost. They hate smoking for the sake of hating it and so it doesn't matter if reasonable solutions can be found to the problem of public smoking that would satisfy both grouos involved, they don't like smoking or the people who smoke and thats it.

For that matter, let's just assume that this "3rd hand" smoke really is bad for you. I could understand the spouses or children of a parent that smokes outside and then comes back in being concerned about it or even at the workplace because they would be exposed to it constantly, but at a park or zoo with exhibits? This goes back to my "miniscule exposure" argument. I highly doubt that the extremely miniscule amount of toxins you would be exposed to for a brief minute while viewing an exhibit along with someone who just smoked would have any adverse effects on your health. Do you? Really?

And as far as a way to measure these toxins on someones cloths, what are we going to do? Have someone waving a wond at the entrance of.... well... everywhere? Just listen to yourself. Lol, I can see it now... { beep beep beep beeeeeeeeep..... I'm sorry sir, but we have exceeded the maxiimum amount of dirty filthy rotten smokers in this exhibit at this time, you'll have to wait for the next tour and try to beat all your fellow smokers to the front of the line. }

Old 04-27-2013, 07:35 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
It's not about YOU, its about the harm YOU deo to others with your fillth. Recalibrate.
Who said I smoke? I don't. Not cigars, pot, meth or anything else. There are way more serious things in life than worry about people who smoke cigarettes. To each his own. I love to see any of you whiners waltz by a biker bar and crack down on their smoking, they'll turn you sissy's into non-whiners in a hurry.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:36 PM

This is a good read if you are intersted:

A Conversation About Anti-Smoking Legislation Annd It's Aftermath

Old 04-27-2013, 07:38 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
No wonder celebrities are useless.

i will have a smoke to that... and i bet that the majority of their fans do not smoke, says alot about the country as a whole... i wonder how many politicians puff..

Old 04-27-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Well we are at a stale mate because I'm not about to argue the "3rd-hand" smoke thing. It's just so ridiculously stupid and of course the science is going to go your way on it, because you are never going to hear any kind of respected institution come out and say otherwise, even if it weren't a danger. They would just keep quiet on it before they would do that. It's all a part of this "war on smoking" that been going on for decades. Most anti-smokers want it eliminated from our society at any cost. They hate smoking for the sake of hating it and so it doesn't matter if reasonable solutions can be found to the problem of public smoking that would satisfy both grouos involved, they don't like smoking or the people who smoke and thats it.

For that matter, let's just assume that this "3rd hand" smoke really is bad for you. I could understand the spouses or children of a parent that smokes outside and then comes back in being concerned about it or even at the workplace because they would be exposed to it constantly, but at a park or zoo with exhibits? This goes back to my "miniscule exposure" argument. I highly doubt that the extremely miniscule amount of toxins you would be exposed to for a brief minute while viewing an exhibit along with someone who just smoked would have any adverse effects on your health. Do you? Really?

And as far as a way to measure these toxins on someones cloths, what are we going to do? Have someone waving a wond at the entrance of.... well... everywhere? Just listen to yourself. Lol, I can see it now... { beep beep beep beeeeeeeeep..... I'm sorry sir, but we have exceeded the maxiimum amount of dirty filthy rotten smokers in this exhibit at this time, you'll have to wait for the next tour and try to beat all your fellow smokers to the front of the line. }
I think we're doing good here.

We agree that firsthand and 2nd is bad. I'm willing to concede "3rd hand" is still a bit out of reach right now. I understand your side has been losing in society but you must admit you're losing in the science lab too.

My 3rd hand stance is a bit looser cuz the science is newer. If technology and science ever get to the point where 3rd hand is declared as bad as smoking itself and can combat it then smokers are going to have to follow suit. Yes, right now magic wands detecting smoke is a bit out there but who knows what the future holds.

Still, it's a great relief that medical professionals are now being told not to wear smoke-laden garb. I wonder how they enforce that? Not sure.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:55 PM

Also...

I'm not sure about your "war on smoking" theme influencing the scientists.

I have my doubts about all kinds of things scientists have said from time to time but all things being equal I still believe science backed by popular vote is the best way to go. Yes, money and agendas suck (another thread) but we gotta just try to do our best. And right now most would agree with my side on 1st and 2nd hand. I hope 3rd gets here and soon.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I think we're doing good here.
When a conversation is rational instead of radical it's always a good thing....

Quote:
We agree that firsthand and 2nd is bad.
I think we may disagree to the extent of just how bad it is, but yes, anyone with a brain accompanied by just a smidge of common sense would agree that sucking the residue of any burning substance down in to your lungs couldn't be a healthy thing.

Quote:
I'm willing to concede "3rd hand" is still a bit out of reach right now. I understand your side has been losing in society
The anti-smoking crowd are much better funded, more well connected, and have many more resources than those that oppose them.

Quote:
but you must admit you're losing in the science lab too
Like I said, it stands to reason smoking coudn't possibly be a healthy habbit.

Quote:
My 3rd hand stance is a bit looser cuz the science is newer. If technology and science ever get to the point where 3rd hand is declared as bad as smoking itself and can combat it then smokers are going to have to follow suit.
As stated before, the goal is to eliminate smoking from society altogether, so I have no doubt it will come to that point by whatever means necessary. The question becomes, what amount of risk are we all, as a society, willing to put up with so as not to infringe on the lives and personal choices of others? What exactly is the limit? How far, becomes too far to impede?

Quote:
Yes, right now magic wands detected smoke is a bit out there but who knows what the future holds.
I shudder to think..... Majic smoke detecting wands, weight scales at the counter of dairy queens..... some seem to see this as a perfectly acceptable reality.

Quote:
Still, it's a great relief that medical professionals are now being told not to wear smoke-laden garb. I wonder how they enforce that? Not sure.
That should just be a matter of good business practices. You don't want your customers to come away from the experience with the impression that you stink. As for enforcement? Well, some places are forcing their employees to undergo mandatory drug testing to make sure they aren't a smoker. Again we descend in to ridiculousness. What does it matter what they do in their personal lives so long as they don't wear the clothes they smoked in to treat patients and don't smoke around the patients?

Old 04-27-2013, 08:07 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Also...

I'm not sure about your "war on smoking" theme influencing the scientists.
Of course it could bias the scientists. Mosts scientists work for the medical community do they not? At least the ones studying this do I would wager. I won't go in to it here, but the medical establishment stands much to gain from a public trying to rid themselves of the habbit of smoking.

Quote:
. Yes, money and agendas suck (another thread)
They suck but they are all that matters. . It's like I said, you'll never hear of a respected institution coming out and disagree with the establishment. If they do, they won't be respected for long.

Quote:
I hope 3rd gets here and soon.
You see, you aren't being very objective. By saying this, you come across as if you already have your mind made up regardless of where the facts will lead us. What if it was discovered 3rd hand isn't harmful at all? { of course it won't be, but what if? }
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies