Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:39 AM

1,482 posts, read 1,379,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Must be nice~!
We didn't change our withholding when we got married. Singles get slammed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 10:40 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,217 times
I actually do not mind getting taxed. I don't see it as something that "sucks" but is "necessary". It honestly isn't a big deal.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:57 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Ok, so you eliminate the public school system and real estate taxes go down by one third or so and now people have to come up with $20-$30K per kid per year for school. Now you have a society that is even dumber because people can't afford to sent their kids to school.

I fail to see how this is better than what we have now. Plus, in many states access to free public public education is in the constitution so that would be part of why you and I should both pay for public schools even if we don't use the services.

Without taxes I don't see how you can fund public schools.
Private schools don't cost $20-30,000 a year. They cost less per pupil than publik schools. Most'em, leastways.

And public school is not free. All we have done is shifted the majority of the cost from the consumer to the non-consumer. Which promises inefficiency and incompetence.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:07 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandem View Post
the title speaks ..
Nobody LIKES getting taxed. However, it is nice to live in a society with tax funded waste water treatment plants, sanitation, police, roads, traffic signals, street lights, schools, hospitals . . .

Oh, did I forget to mention our tax funded Military which happens to be the World's Strongest?

Kinda nice to have these ammenities, ey?

Old 04-28-2013, 11:09 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Private schools don't cost $20-30,000 a year. They cost less per pupil than publik schools. Most'em, leastways.

And public school is not free. All we have done is shifted the majority of the cost from the consumer to the non-consumer. Which promises inefficiency and incompetence.
I went to private school and have seen the prices, they do in fact cost $20K-$30K/year. Private schools spend less per pupil because the administration cost is less and there are no unions to deal with. Changing who pays does not change the demand for education. The public schools system inefficiency comes from a number of issues including the fact that they don't have to compete for funding/kids.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:13 AM

1,482 posts, read 1,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post

One of the reasons is they don't layers of administration and their underlings.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:28 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
I'm picking this post to reply to semirandomly, because it brings up a point.

I don't mind paying taxes to support common use assets and services, which is what you're talking about. I have much more of a problem paying taxes to support services and direct payment to particular classes of people, especially when those are on a permanent basis (ie, I'm okay with unemployment because it's short term and temporary, I'm not okay with welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, Medicare and Social Security.) And it's those programs that are sucking up most of the tax collections on a national basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I pay taxes quarterly, and do so willingly. Here's why:

I like having sidewalks to walk on, instead of muddy paths.
I like using my public library.
I like having bike paths.
I like access to public transportation.
I like breathing clean air and drinking clean water.
I like buying produce that doesn't contain E. coli.
I like shopping locally, rather than online, knowing some money goes to my State, which needs it badly.
I like knowing that others are doing the same, thus contributing to the community in which we live.

Is that enough likes for you?

Old 04-28-2013, 11:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I actually do not mind getting taxed. I don't see it as something that "sucks" but is "necessary". It honestly isn't a big deal.
Not trying to be inflammatory - this is an honest question.

How much is too much? Is 40 percent of one's income too much? (For those making under $250,000 for the sake of argument.)

Old 04-28-2013, 11:45 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not trying to be inflammatory - this is an honest question.

How much is too much? Is 40 percent of one's income too much? (For those making under $250,000 for the sake of argument.)
If you're just talking income taxes yes 40 percent is too much.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
If you're just talking income taxes yes 40 percent is too much.
No, all taxes.

But let's just look at income taxes. Our effective rate of federal income taxes is 33 percent and we make less than $250,000 a year. Is that too high?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies