Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Islamic immigration to the United States be stopped or banned?
Yes, ban all Islamic immigration 172 49.14%
Yeah, but only stop it temporarily 17 4.86%
No 161 46.00%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:51 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I hear the same things that you do from the radicals. I don't talk to them. I don't even know a radical (at least to my knowledge). But the radicals are a small majority that don't represent ALL Muslims.

Are you seriously blaming Muslims and Mexicans for Detroit's decline and failure?

Christians were outraged over the "Pizz Christ", created by someone who called it "artwork". The Netherlands is not the US where you can do such things and get away with it. Didn't the government and Americans defend the right of the filmmaker of "Innocence of Muslims" which went viral and set off protests and was used as the excuse for Ambassador Stevens being murdered? Again, this is kind of "art" is totally acceptable in the US. It doesn't mean it has to be accepted by other countries. There are many things that the US accepts and tolerates that other countries wouldn't. That is the right of said country.

So what Saudi Arabia is worried about fracking and it's impact on it's economy? The US and other countries should be looking for other means to take care of themselves so it doesn't have to rely on other countries. If we succeed, what is SA going to do - stop selling us oil??

Obama flipping, SA threatening, it's all about politics.

It's impossible to stop all immigration, but I think it should be limited to qualified, educated, experienced PROFESSIONALS productive immigrants who actually contribute to the work force and economy. They tend to be more ambitious. First generation of immigrants tend to excel at higher levels. The US apparently doesn't have enough people who are qualified/educated/experienced to fill the jobs in areas where they are needed, or if there are, they aren't willing to relocate to another state, even if they are unemployed. The US falls short on those who studied any one of the STEM fields. Degrees in liberal arts, anthropology, childcare are not in demand.
I agree with you here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,939,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Being different isn't a bad thing as long as the difference can be seen in a positive light. I think that gay people portray themselves quite well in all societies that they are allowed to exist in. It is a shame Muslims are not more inclusive to them.
The Muslims here in the US portray themselves in a positive light, as do many Muslims in Egypt, Tunisia, Jordan, Indonesia, Bali, etc. If I were to judge all gay people by what I see and hear from the media, I wouldn't want them (I am gay) moving to my neighborhood.

Plenty of wonderful Muslims, many that I know are gay or gay inclusive. Jordan and Egypt have a wonderful gay culture and while its not embraced, its accepted by many. Very similar to the Southern US states. Not perfect, not they're not demons either.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:12 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,342,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
The Muslims here in the US portray themselves in a positive light, as do many Muslims in Egypt, Tunisia, Jordan, Indonesia, Bali, etc. If I were to judge all gay people by what I see and hear from the media, I wouldn't want them (I am gay) moving to my neighborhood.

Plenty of wonderful Muslims, many that I know are gay or gay inclusive. Jordan and Egypt have a wonderful gay culture and while its not embraced, its accepted by many. Very similar to the Southern US states. Not perfect, not they're not demons either.
I have never heard that. It is nice to hear.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:17 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,393,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The very first point of the First Amendment and the Constitution actually protect people from religion.
Total BS. The First Amendment is 100% about limiting the power of government, not limiting the rights or freedoms of the people (which, unfortunately for you, include worshipping and even promoting one's religion to others). At best, you can say it protects people from religion becoming law. But of course, that is not relevant to Muslims in general, and therefore it wouldn't justify banning Islamic immigration.

Quote:
There is no reason that we should not amend or eliminate the free exercise clause to protect society from violent, anti-women, anti-gay, dogmatic religions.
Which would include Judaism and Christianity, when you think about it. And of course, that will never happen here in the U.S. So the reason why we shouldn't make changes to the First Amendment which would effectively discriminate against Muslims and give Judaism/Christianity a pass even though it is guilty of all the same things, is that this would be a direct violation of the First Amendment itself. No, I don't want to live in a country in which the government tells me what religion to follow. That was kinda sorta the whole point of our leaving Europe in the first place.

Quote:
I don't see why we can't exclude muslims from the immigration process especially when they are not citizens and have no right to immigrate here and we are under no duty to accept them.
And I don't see why we should exclude Muslims in general from the immigration process, save to show future generations how hypocritical a bigot can be. Sorry, I prefer that my son be a thinking individual and also able to respect me as a human being. These things can't happen together if I hop on the bandwagon against Muslims because I personally don't agree with their religion (or what I'm told about it by people who clearly have no idea).

Old 07-31-2013, 11:21 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,939,495 times
Quote:
There was a family from Jordan that used to live down the street from me (Muslims). The Mom was always trying to fix me up with her son. He was a cutie, but the funny part is that he wasn't gay. His mom figured that since he never dated, he was gay and in denial. Even his dad asked me once if I would take him (the son) with me to a gay bar and try to loosen him up! She was like a second Mom to me. Had no problem with me being gay, but that woman would scold me for getting drunk! Sober 4 years now. She'd be very proud (they moved back to Jordan).

Old 07-31-2013, 11:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,221 times
Quote:
We are going to have to realize that we, the people, are being used as pawns.
Any white person that has taken the time to get to know any black person will tell you that that person is probably their best friend. And the same can be said from a black mans point of view. Don't let the corporate media make us feel as if we need to chose a side. I am from a all black hood but I have always worked around white people, some are good and some are bad; all of them are still my equal.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Total BS. The First Amendment is 100% about limiting the power of government, not limiting the rights or freedoms of the people (which, unfortunately for you, include worshipping and even promoting one's religion to others). At best, you can say it protects people from religion becoming law. But of course, that is not relevant to Muslims in general, and therefore it wouldn't justify banning Islamic immigration.

Which would include Judaism and Christianity, when you think about it. And of course, that will never happen here in the U.S. So the reason why we shouldn't make changes to the First Amendment which would effectively discriminate against Muslims and give Judaism/Christianity a pass even though it is guilty of all the same things, is that this would be a direct violation of the First Amendment itself. No, I don't want to live in a country in which the government tells me what religion to follow. That was kinda sorta the whole point of our leaving Europe in the first place.

And I don't see why we should exclude Muslims in general from the immigration process, save to show future generations how hypocritical a bigot can be. Sorry, I prefer that my son be a thinking individual and also able to respect me as a human being. These things can't happen together if I hop on the bandwagon against Muslims because I personally don't agree with their religion (or what I'm told about it by people who clearly have no idea).
You have the right to disagree with their religion but you don't have the right to discriminate against those who have different beliefs. Wake up. Support the person that is different so all of us can be free.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:37 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,393,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Mane View Post
You have the right to disagree with their religion but you don't have the right to discriminate against those who have different beliefs. Wake up. Support the person that is different so all of us can be free.
Umm, precisely.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:56 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,786,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
are you still mentally in September 2012? forget the obama talking points - killing Ambassador Stevens and 3 others has absolutely nothing to do with the video. It was obama's administration which used it as an excuse, but they were lying.

Oh, and BTW, how about defending the 1st Amendment right of that author who is jailed until NOW on some bogus reason? I haven't heard ACLU or anybody else to demonstrate in defense of HIS rights.
It was a reference, or did you miss that.

He's in jail for parole violation - I guess you missed that as well.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:00 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,786,417 times
Quote:
The very first point of the First Amendment and the Constitution actually protect people from religion. Other amendments have qualifying clauses to protect people from overapplication, such the free speech clause's exception for libel and slander because they cause harm to people and society. There is no reason that we should not amend or eliminate the free exercise clause to protect society from violent, anti-women, anti-gay, dogmatic religions. If Barack Obama can make protesting the government illegal, then I don't see why we can't exclude muslims from the immigration process especially when they are not citizens and have no right to immigrate here and we are under no duty to accept them.
People from all countries that immigrate to the US are not citizens. Immigrants have every right to immigrate to the US. It is up to the government who gets a visa and who doesn't and religion isn't a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies