Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 06:37 AM

30,111 posts, read 18,712,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Arizona's black male graduation rate was 84% compared to white males 82%. Does this prove that the racial gap is a really a socioeconomic gap or is it something special about Arizona.
Black Male Graduation Rates – The Urgency of Now

Probably statistically insignificant in difference, yet shows parity.

I have always contended that differences in income, crime, and academic performance among blacks relative to whites is CULTURAL. Change the culture and you will get better results.

My youngest son's best friend is this HUGE black kid (both are seniors in the Catholic school system). The black kid is the valedictorian- my youngest (a relative family academic under achiever) has a 3.50 GPA. This kid, while being lower middle class, has TWO PARENTS who EMPHASIZE EDUCATION. Not to mention great academics, this kid is very mentally disciplined. In short, a good influence for my kid and we love to have him around our house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 09:40 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,305,814 times
Quote:
Arizona's black male graduation rate was 84% compared to white males 82%. Does this prove that the racial gap is a really a socioeconomic gap or is it something special about Arizona.

Because school districts are so different within the same state, let alone different states, it is very difficult to draw any conclusions just off of raw graduation rates.

Just perusing the numbers, I did detect what I see as somewhat of a pattern, States with lower numbers of black male students tended to be the states with better graduation rates.

Nearly all the states with a larger number of black male students seemed to have lower graduation rates.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:43 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,305,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Probably statistically insignificant in difference, yet shows parity.

I have always contended that differences in income, crime, and academic performance among blacks relative to whites is CULTURAL. Change the culture and you will get better results.

My youngest son's best friend is this HUGE black kid (both are seniors in the Catholic school system). The black kid is the valedictorian- my youngest (a relative family academic under achiever) has a 3.50 GPA. This kid, while being lower middle class, has TWO PARENTS who EMPHASIZE EDUCATION. Not to mention great academics, this kid is very mentally disciplined. In short, a good influence for my kid and we love to have him around our house.
Nonsense, American black people don't have a different culture. Black parents do think education is important in poll after poll this is demonstrated. Black students do think education is important in poll after poll this is demonstrated.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,258,959 times
Quote:
Have you ever gone to Africa?
I don't have to go to Africa. That's neither here nor there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The vast majority of Black Americans have at least 80% West African DNA. The race mixing in the USA was not as high as people think.
Funny you say that....

When George Lopez had his show, he gave DNA tests to Snoop and Charles Barkley..Snoop's parents are both Mississippians and Barkley is from Alabama.

Neither was 80%. Barkley, despite being light skinned was blacker than Snoop was.

I've watched Henry Louis Gates' show a bunch of times, and I can't remember a single African American tested that came back at 80% or higher.

I'm not saying that you're necessarily wrong because I don't have a scientific sampling, but I suspect that you're waaaaay off with that number.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:07 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,137,025 times
Quote:
Must be something special about Arizona, it's not happening anywhere else. Most important for Arizona is what is the latino male graduation rate?

Old 05-03-2013, 02:14 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,516,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
That would mean that the average black American is still about 85% black. That's black to me.

Yes, you're right, the average American's IQ is 98. White Americans around 100; East Asian Americans about 110, and blacks somewhere in the 80s.
Your treatment of ethnicity is extremely superficial.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:28 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,927,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

You talk like culture is something that just fall out of the sky and just randomly lands at certain race groups and not others.

If you have a triple digit IQ, think about it for a minute.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:32 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,927,782 times
Quote:
What is the scientific definition of race.
To answer your question, there are many DNA differences among different races. Science as of today, and still advancing, can tell by DNA if the person belongs to a certain race or not.

Regardless of the abovementioned, can you really not tell the difference between someone from Africa vs. someone from Ireland?

Old 05-03-2013, 04:44 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,467,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Nonsense, American black people don't have a different culture. Black parents do think education is important in poll after poll this is demonstrated. Black students do think education is important in poll after poll this is demonstrated.

Think for the most part, poster is not trying to upset anyone, but feel i think he is right in a good way.

Of course there are many black people who want that good education, all my black friends fit this profile and are smart, funny, intelligent independent people. They have hard working independent parents and live in very good areas. They want the same things in life we all do, no different.

Any person not only blacks, but whites, asians, hispanics, who live in crime ridden driven areas, are not thinking about culture, or an education. Once they join a gang, their lifes are forever changed, and so are they as people. Their culture is now to the gang. So in a sense, i feel the poster is being fortright.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:39 PM

73,102 posts, read 62,746,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Because school districts are so different within the same state, let alone different states, it is very difficult to draw any conclusions just off of raw graduation rates.

Just perusing the numbers, I did detect what I see as somewhat of a pattern, States with lower numbers of black male students tended to be the states with better graduation rates.

Nearly all the states with a larger number of black male students seemed to have lower graduation rates.
Yes and no on the last statement. It is true that the states that have relatively small Black populations have higher Black graduation rates. However, I think about Iowa and Nebraska. Both states have very low Black graduation rates. And those states have low Black populations. New Jersey has a large Black population and a relatively high Black graduation rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies