Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:21 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times

Advertisements

Cleveland now has a 34.4% graduation rate from its high schools. The 50 biggest cities in the USA have a 53% graduation rate.

That is pathetic. Do these people do any type of parenting towards their children? How can they fail at something so basic as graduating high school? you are going nowhere if you dont graduate.

Its not a problem with the schools, its a problem with the parents and the teenagers in high school themselves. They need to stop blaming others and fix the problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 11:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
many do not see gangbanging juvi hall students as a problem. disruption of the learning process from anti social behavior is a major deterrent to education as well as safety issues for children and teachers. real danger and ensuing fear trashes a learning environment.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:16 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Cleveland now has a 34.4% graduation rate from its high schools. The 50 biggest cities in the USA have a 53% graduation rate.

That is pathetic. Do these people do any type of parenting towards their children? How can they fail at something so basic as graduating high school? you are going nowhere if you dont graduate.

Its not a problem with the schools, its a problem with the parents and the teenagers in high school themselves. They need to stop blaming others and fix the problem
I would guess inner city school kids have way bigger problems than whether they're going to Ace their Algebra test on Wednesday. I'd also guess that most of the parents are non-existent due to a series of societal reasons.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:19 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
The reasons are more complicated than you may realize, as FinkieMcGee said. The problems are entrenched. Sadly, if a parent can move his family to a better school district, that would be a lot more efficient than trying to change the entire system in his area.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:25 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post

Detroit has a 25% graduation rate. That's the lowest in the nation. I'd bet some of those $7,500 DC-style vouchers would fix the problem. It would also save money since some of the best private schools cost less per student than that while the per student cost at the public school is just under $1,000.

US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/education/011747.html - broken link)

Old 05-12-2009, 12:29 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Detroit has a 25% graduation rate. That's the lowest in the nation. I'd bet some of those $7,500 DC-style vouchers would fix the problem. It would also save money since some of the best private schools cost less per student than that while the per student cost at the public school is just under $1,000.

US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/education/011747.html - broken link)
Why would the voucher system, in Detroit of all places, improve absolutely anything? Why do you think schools in Detroit have a 25% graduation rate and HOW would a "free market" alternative solve said issues?

Old 05-12-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The reasons are more complicated than you may realize, as FinkieMcGee said. The problems are entrenched. Sadly, if a parent can move his family to a better school district, that would be a lot more efficient than trying to change the entire system in his area.
One church I used to attend has a school that charges $395 per month during the school year. I believe the graduation rate is 100%, and those kids are so smart. They have the PS kids for lunch on the ACT. Can you explain to me why we pay twice as much to turn out PS dim-wits?

Old 05-12-2009, 12:43 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
The majority of inner city education ought to be modeled after the Jesuits' Cristo Rey. (No Catholic pedophile jokes please.)

If you've never heard of Cristo Rey High Schools, students work 5 days per month to contribute to the cost of their education, and college placement is 100% for graduating seniors.

60 Minutes had a piece on one in Chicago not too long ago. Both parts of the segment are below, if you are interested:

YouTube - Cristo Rey High School on 60 Minutes (Part 1)

YouTube - Cristo Rey High School on 60 Minutes (Part 2)

Last edited by helenejen; 05-12-2009 at 12:59 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Why would the voucher system, in Detroit of all places, improve absolutely anything? Why do you think schools in Detroit have a 25% graduation rate and HOW would a "free market" alternative solve said issues?
DC was an unqualified success. Their school system was as bad as any in the nation and had a reputation for graduating kids who couldn't fill out a job application. If it worked there, it should work anywhere.

My kid sister attended a Detroit school for a short period of time. Her account is that the teachers simply don't care. They are baby sitting and watching the clock. Vouchers would have the ability to light a fire under their collective backsides.

It doesn't matter now because the Democrats are in control of the government here in Michigan which means the teacher's unions are the top priority. The same goes for the federal government.

GW Bush increased federal spending on education by 50% in eight years. What did we get for our money? Accountability is the solution, and nothing creates accountability better than competition.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
The majority of inner city education ought to be turned over to, or, at the very least, modeled after the Jesuits' Cristo Rey. (No pedophile jokes please.)

If you've never heard of Cristo Rey High Schools, students work 5 days per month to pay for their education, and college placement is 100% for graduating seniors.

60 Minutes had a piece on one in Chicago not too long ago. Both parts of the segment are below, if you are interested:

YouTube - Cristo Rey High School on 60 Minutes (Part 1)

YouTube - Cristo Rey High School on 60 Minutes (Part 2)

I guess that's a Catholic school. My understanding is that Catholic schools as a whole wipe up the floor with public schools. I am familiar with a couple protestant organizations that operate schools. The story is the same. They annihilate public schools. It isn't even close. Thing is, they do it for about half the cost of public schools. I don't know what the secular private schools cost. I would expect a little more, but at almost $10,000 per student in the PS system I wouldn't be surprised if they were far cheaper and far more effective too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies