Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 07:26 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You do realize you don't "need" to learn Spanish? If you speak English in America you are gonna be just fine.
Well, learning Spanish (and possibly also Portuguese) is valuable if you want to do business in Latin America. Opportunities in those areas are going to continue to grow.

But I agree that there's no imminent (or ever) danger of a Spanish language takeover in the U.S.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:14 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Well, learning Spanish (and possibly also Portuguese) is valuable if you want to do business in Latin America. Opportunities in those areas are going to continue to grow.

But I agree that there's no imminent (or ever) danger of a Spanish language takeover in the U.S.
And just how many Americans would be doing that for a living? English is the language of business across the globe not Spanish.

You may be eating your words in your last sentence. That's it is why it is so important that we stop this amnesty nonsense and secure our borders.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Why? Because the fields I mentioned are more likely to deal with uneducated or illegal immigrants. Nurses and cops can't always get a translator if there is an emergency. You can't become a manager in fast food if your crew doesn't speak English and it would be hard to get a construction job if the crew only knows Spanish. Every place is different, but the fields I mentioned are fields that it would come in handy.
But why should Americans have to learn Spanish to accomodate illegal aliens and be discriminated against in hiring practices? That is my point! As I said most Hispanic -Americans are bi-lingual anyway. What about other immigrants that don't speak English? Should we learn all their languages also?

Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Learning a second language is lame???

How ignorant
Learning English in an English speaking country.......how ignorant to ask those that come here to speak English, instead some of you want us to learn Spanish and that be our native language.. Are we joining Mexico and becoming a Mexican country?

Nothing wrong with you and others learning a second language just don't try to change America from English Only as our native language.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
But why should Americans have to learn Spanish to accomodate illegal aliens and be discriminated against in hiring practices? That is my point! As I said most Hispanic -Americans are bi-lingual anyway. What about other immigrants that don't speak English? Should we learn all their languages also?
YOU DON'T HAVE TO LEARN SPANISH IN AMERICA!!!! Is it good to learn new languages? Sure, but in this country, if you know English, then you will do just fine knowing one language. Seriously how many times a day do you say to yourself "if only I knew how to speak Spanish?"

Old 05-05-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Learning English in an English speaking country.......how ignorant to ask those that come here to speak English, instead some of you want us to learn Spanish and that be our native language.. Are we joining Mexico and becoming a Mexican country?

Nothing wrong with you and others learning a second language just don't try to change America from English Only as our native language.
America has never been an English Only country. You are free to speak any language you want in our country.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:28 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I was simply pointing out where it would be useful to know Spanish. I don't know anyone planning on working in fast food or anyone that desires to work with the uneducated, but if you have to then you might as well learn Spanish and English so you can become the boss.

My parents had a couple of trees removed from their property last year and the guy (owner?) spoke perfect English, but when the workers showed up none of them spoke English. Would you rather be the lone English worker working with the crew or would you rather know English to deal with customers and Spanish to deal with crew workers? Alternatively, if the crew members never learn English they will never be able to deal with customers.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:30 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
i think chinese,arabic and chinese are 3 languages americans should learn for the future.. but americans are one of the few countries there is mono-linguistic .. in alot of countries most people can speak 2 or more languages..

Old 05-05-2013, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 2,154 times
I'm not sure why I would have to roll over and learn Spanish. Hello...this is America!

Old 05-05-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
I'm not sure why I would have to roll over and learn Spanish. Hello...this is America!
Why would you do acrobatics and then go learn a foreign language?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies