Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 11:46 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times

Advertisements

GOOD READING!

Fringe Gun Rights Advocate With Ties To White Supremacists Helped Build Up ALEC | ThinkProgress

Fringe Gun Rights Advocate With Ties To White Supremacists Helped Build Up ALEC

As the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) works to distance itself from the NRA-bill it backed as a “model” adopted in dozens of states, it may be hoping that people will not continue to dig into the damage done by its long love affair with gun groups, like the gun-industry funded NRA and fringe groups with ties to white supremacists like Gun Owners of America (GOA).

GOA’s Executive Director is Larry Pratt. In the early 1980s, Pratt and the GOA were outspoken supporters of the white rulers in South Africa during apartheid, calling a press conference in 1984 to present “evidence” that allegedly tied Bishop Desmond Tutu to an effort to violently overthrow the white minority regime in the country. In 1990, Pratt wrote a book titled “Armed People Victorious” based on his study of death squads in Guatemala and the Philippines, and advocated for similar “citizen defense patrols” in the United States. The idea reportedly caught on in 1992, when Pratt addressed a three-day meeting of neo-Nazis and Christian Adherents organized by white supremacist Pete Peters. He shared the stage with a former Ku Klux Klan leader and an Aryan Nation official.

Pratt also held leadership roles in ALEC for many years. His relationship with ALEC began in 1978, when ALEC began an effort to oppose a constitutional amendment giving the District of Columbia full voting rights in Congress. When Pratt was elected to the Virginia State Legislature in 1981, he took a leadership position in ALEC. He sat on ALEC’s board even after he left the legislature, serving as its treasurer into the 1990s.

Meanwhile, the organization Pratt helped lead shared his passion for relaxing guns laws. For decades, ALEC quietly helped advance key parts of the gun agenda, including not only bills that may protect vigilante shooters but that also lead to more armed people on the streets who may cite laws like Florida¹s so-called Stand Your Ground or “Kill at Will” bill. ALEC’s agenda is detailed at the Center for Media and Democracy’s ALECexposed.org. Even though GOA left ALEC years ago, it was a long-time member and leader. GOA leapt to the defense of Florida’s law, ratified by ALEC, in the wake of the shooting of unarmed high school student Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman.

GOA’s Larry Pratt hit the airwaves in defense of Zimmerman, the 28-year-old man who shot and killed Martin. Pratt branded 17-year-old Martin as “an aggressor,” based on the account of an alleged eyewitness who would only identify himself as “John,” and described Martin as having knocked down his attacker and Zimmerman acting in self-defense.

Cenk Uygur remarked on his Current TV program: “Funny how the kid with no gun is the one who, in your mind, gave up all his rights. But Zimmerman, the … stalker who called the police 49 times [in many cases] on black males…he has all the rights in the world.” Uygur also noted that no other witnesses corroborated “John’s” account.

Consider this, Pratt’s long-standing ties to white supremacists forced him to step down from his role as co-chairman of Pat Buchanan’s 1996 presidential campaign. Too radical for Pat Buchanan? That’s all we need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,917,639 times
Anyone that has ever been to a gun show knows that a certain percentage of gun rights supporters are racists and white supremacists. You can find white power literature, Nazi memorabilia, "blackface" style targets and other disgusting items for sale at almost every gun show that I have been to.

Any attempt by gun nuts to deny that some of their comprades are Neo-Nazis, skinheads and other forms of white supremacist racists is ridiculous.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:20 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Anyone that has ever been to a gun show knows that a certain percentage of gun rights supporters are racists and white supremacists. You can find white power literature, Nazi memorabilia, "blackface" style targets and other disgusting items for sale at almost every gun show that I have been to.

Any attempt by gun nuts to deny that some of their comprades are Neo-Nazis, skinheads and other forms of white supremacist racists is ridiculous.

Guns shows patrons have a big tent that attracts lots of people with different viewpoints. So what? I never saw any signs that read "whites only" at the door. The shows in Northern Virginia have plenty of blacks attending.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times
Cenk Uygur some racial issues of his own. He was one of the idiots who suggested that the Boston Marathon bomber could turn out to be "a right-wing white guy."

Cenk Uygur: If Bomber Is A "Right-Wing White Guy" He Will Be Excused | RealClearPolitics

And he made several other offensive comments trying to link a particular race to the bombings. Just because your hangup is with white people, as opposed to (say) black people, does not mean that you are not a bigot.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:59 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Guns shows patrons have a big tent that attracts lots of people with different viewpoints. So what? I never saw any signs that read "whites only" at the door. The shows in Northern Virginia have plenty of blacks attending.
The gun shows here in Western WA are all run by an organization called the 'Washington Arms Collectors." One of their rules for all shows is: "All anti-Semitic, racist and hate literature is prohibited"

Before they adopted that rule (I think it was after the OKC bombing) there were sometimes racist books and pamphlets being sold at the show. There was a group from Montana that used to sell stuff like that at our shows. But interestingly, I think a lot of these racist strains can be traced back to the progressive era rather than conservatism.

Have you ever wondered why there are racist groups in Montana, which is 90% white and only .5% black? With only a few thousand blacks in the entire state, what would be the impetus for such virulent racism? I think it goes back to progressive and populist writers such as Mary Lease, whose ideas were popular in the great plains states in the early 20th century. Her book "The Problem of Civilization Solved," proposed among other things, (IIRC) separating the races by giving each group its own designated geographic area. The left-progressives of the early 20th century were avowedly racist, per the pseudo-science 'eugenics' that was all the rage in academia at the time.

When Bigots Become Reformers - Reason.com

Old 05-08-2013, 03:15 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The gun shows here in Western WA are all run by an organization called the 'Washington Arms Collectors." One of their rules for all shows is: "All anti-Semitic, racist and hate literature is prohibited"

Before they adopted that rule (I think it was after the OKC bombing) there were sometimes racist books and pamphlets being sold at the show. There was a group from Montana that used to sell stuff like that at our shows. But interestingly, I think a lot of these racist strains can be traced back to the progressive era rather than conservatism.

Have you ever wondered why there are racist groups in Montana, which is 90% white and only .5% black? With only a few thousand blacks in the entire state, what would be the impetus for such virulent racism? I think it goes back to progressive and populist writers such as Mary Lease, whose ideas were popular in the great plains states in the early 20th century. Her book "The Problem of Civilization Solved," proposed among other things, (IIRC) separating the races by giving each group its own designated geographic area. The left-progressives of the early 20th century were avowedly racist, per the pseudo-science 'eugenics' that was all the rage in academia at the time.

Interesting post thanks for the info. Good stuff to run the racists out of the gun shows.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:17 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,045 times
Quote:

Sounds like a labor union meeting.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:26 PM

1,137 posts, read 971,744 times
Quote:

There are plenty of racists who dont own guns too.

Did you have a point of some kind?

Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times
Interesting info on ALEC.

this site also has some info
www.kochbrothersexposed.com

Old 05-08-2013, 09:46 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

As someone who grew up in Montana, I can tell you that 99% of those people in those groups are NOT born in the state. They move there, buy up some cheap land, and form a compound. I remember in one of the small towns my Dad worked at, the nearby white supremacy group came down with their signs for a rally. Let's say just that the locals didn't mind saying cuss words all day at them as they drove by.

So in summary, your theory is off. They are just a bunch of lunatics who take "white flight" to an obscene level and spoil the Montana wilderness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies