Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Interesting. The stuff in question, is Ampho, and all the goodies to initiate it, very effectively. The thieves took Det Cord. Oh my! That's the makings of a VERY nice BOOM, on its own. And the clowns that took the stuff, have enougb Ampho to, as one poster has said, level a city block.

Layed out properly, and use of decent quality, remote, detonation, there's enough bang there, to raise some serious Hell and damnation. Can't say, as, I can't help but squirm a little, at what this haul could be used to do. This is enough explosive to solve any problem related to the human condition. And then some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 12:21 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Dynamite is quite a different material then ANFO (Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil) and they have very different explosive behavior. They require different storage conditions. Both can be detonated by the proper methods.

The 600 lbs stolen is a large amount for a terrorist device but trivial for road building or small scale mining. The thieves would have needed a truck or large car to haul off 15 boxes of dynamite or 6 bags of ANFO. The stuff was probably stored in a standard magazine. These are meant to keep the curious out but can be opened by any determined thief.

I am not surprised by the lack of press involvement. I guess thefts of this nature are pretty common and not really news in rural areas with plenty of mining and timber activities. If this was stolen by terrorists one can hope they have no idea how sensitive ANFO can become as it ages.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:24 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Could you describe to me the way in which these specific explosives were stored?
No I can't, I do know not well enough that theives couldn't get to them. So now is it the citizens who should be making sure these explosives are in a safe place without someone being able to take them?

Wonder why they are asking so little of a reward for explosives, some people offer that amount on a lost horse.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:28 PM

78,418 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
No I can't, I do know not well enough that theives couldn't get to them. So now is it the citizens who should be making sure these explosives are in a safe place without someone being able to take them?

Wonder why they are asking so little of a reward for explosives, some people offer that amount on a lost horse.
I guess that we shouldn't speculate then that they were maybe left in an unlocked building etc etc? For all we know they were in a pretty secure\locked building that some pretty dedicated theives broke into.....or maybe some dummy working for the forest service left them in an unlocked tool shed.

The reward is probably a standard set by beauracracy....and we know how much sense that can make.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:42 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
I agree with June. This stuff is not used to bake cookies, Its explosives with one purpose -To destroy. There should be a manhunt going on. I cannot believe someone waltzed in and took these!

Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Why does the Forest Service have this much explosive substance? Why aren't people being fired and held to task?

Imagine if this was a demolition company or private citizen.
avalanche control and stuff.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 PM

945 posts, read 968,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I guess that we shouldn't speculate then that they were maybe left in an unlocked building etc etc? For all we know they were in a pretty secure\locked building that some pretty dedicated theives broke into.....or maybe some dummy working for the forest service left them in an unlocked tool shed.

The reward is probably a standard set by beauracracy....and we know how much sense that can make.
Well, speculation is natural. What we can say is whatever their security setup was, it was inadequate. Again, this amount of explosives is necessary to be on hand at all times. The should order it as needed, when the need arises and use it.

We all know they can't function properly doing anything, and out of public safety they should be banned from ever possessing it again.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Dynamite is quite a different material then ANFO (Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil) and they have very different explosive behavior. They require different storage conditions. Both can be detonated by the proper methods.

The 600 lbs stolen is a large amount for a terrorist device but trivial for road building or small scale mining. The thieves would have needed a truck or large car to haul off 15 boxes of dynamite or 6 bags of ANFO. The stuff was probably stored in a standard magazine. These are meant to keep the curious out but can be opened by any determined thief.

I am not surprised by the lack of press involvement. I guess thefts of this nature are pretty common and not really news in rural areas with plenty of mining and timber activities. If this was stolen by terrorists one can hope they have no idea how sensitive ANFO can become as it ages.
Yes, it do get twitchy, over time. The article just said "emulsion explosive, but its a safe bet that means ANFO. Det Cord is nasty stuff, on its own. I have seen trees cut down with it, and it makes one helluva daisy chain rig. If these guys scored some C4 in this haul too, they have a big bang on tap. Having this stuff inaccounted for is enough to make a guy nervous.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:14 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
An update - they're following leads and the explosives need special detonators that were stored in another (separate) location and were not stolen.

ATF chasing leads on theft of explosives near Red Lodge

Old 05-09-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
An update - they're following leads and the explosives need special detonators that were stored in another (separate) location and were not stolen.

ATF chasing leads on theft of explosives near Red Lodge
Hmmm, I don't see how initiating this explosive would require anything overly special. With Det Cord, all things are possible. One should be able to fabricate the required initiation set up, possibly using black powder, and rigging up remote, electrical detonation. If the thieves are just a little resourceful, getting things to get terminal, wouldn't be that tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies