Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 05:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

Covered California, the authority in charge of the state's health insurance exchange, has released details about what the health insurance market for individuals who don't get coverage at work will look like next year. In all, 13 health insurance companies will sell products on the exchange, and premiums will range from 2 percent more to 29 percent less than what comparable plans cost this year, the agency said.

California is not only the most populous state in the U.S., but it also has the highest number of uninsured residents, 7.3 million in 2011. The state is tied for the fourth-highest percentage of residents without health insurance at 20 percent, census data show. The state embraced health care reform soon after Obama signed the law in 2010 and is seen as a bellwether for whether the initiative can succeed.
California Health Insurance Premiums Under Obamacare Revealed

This just in...what??? Republican Gov. Jan Brewer calls for Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act joining Rick Christie, and John Kasich....

Arizona

My heart be still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 PM

Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Covered California, the authority in charge of the state's health insurance exchange, has released details about what the health insurance market for individuals who don't get coverage at work will look like next year. In all, 13 health insurance companies will sell products on the exchange, and premiums will range from 2 percent more to 29 percent less than what comparable plans cost this year, the agency said.

California is not only the most populous state in the U.S., but it also has the highest number of uninsured residents, 7.3 million in 2011. The state is tied for the fourth-highest percentage of residents without health insurance at 20 percent, census data show. The state embraced health care reform soon after Obama signed the law in 2010 and is seen as a bellwether for whether the initiative can succeed.
Yeah, it looks pretty on paper.....but in Realityâ„¢....

PCIP Enrollment Suspension
On February 16, 2013, the federally-run Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) suspended acceptance of new enrollment applications until further notice. The suspension also became effective in the state-based PCIPs on March 2. This will help ensure that funds are available through 2013 to continuously cover people currently enrolled in the program.

Source: US Government web-site..

Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) | HealthCare.gov

So.....how's that working out for everyone?

Because, you see...that looked pretty on paper, too, but in Realityâ„¢, yeah, well, the inviolable Laws of Economics never cease to work....not even for a nanosecond.

On the bright side...

Mircea

Old 05-27-2013, 07:21 PM

246 posts, read 422,157 times
Quote:

This just in...what??? Republican Gov. Jan Brewer calls for Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act joining Rick Christie, and John Kasich....

Arizona

My heart be still.
This is actually phenomenal. Our company just told us what our premiums would go up after the July 1 2013 renewal, it was 1.45%. That is the lowest in the company's history since inception 15 years ago. Everyone was in shock, especially one co worker who decried that "Obamacare" would raise premiums by 50%. I would agree that at least this year, it seems to be a success. Give credit where credit is due!

Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
This is actually phenomenal. Our company just told us what our premiums would go up after the July 1 2013 renewal, it was 1.45%. That is the lowest in the company's history since inception 15 years ago. Everyone was in shock, especially one co worker who decried that "Obamacare" would raise premiums by 50%. I would agree that at least this year, it seems to be a success. Give credit where credit is due!
I remember after Obamacare passed I actually got a check in the mail from my insurer due to the 85% rule.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yeah, it looks pretty on paper.....but in Realityâ„¢....

PCIP Enrollment Suspension
On February 16, 2013, the federally-run Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) suspended acceptance of new enrollment applications until further notice. The suspension also became effective in the state-based PCIPs on March 2. This will help ensure that funds are available through 2013 to continuously cover people currently enrolled in the program.

And why was the program suspended?
Congress, however, only appropriated $5 billion for the program’s three and a half years of operation, and from the beginning the expectation was that it would run out of money and close down long before 2014. In fact, however, the program grew slowly initially, and through careful management, HHS has been able to stretch the funding almost until the end of 2013, making plausible a relatively smooth transition to 2014.
Implementing Health Reform: Preexisting Condition Insurance Plan & Medicaid/CHIP Renewal – Health Affairs Blog

Funny how things don't work when other folks are doing there damnest to keep if from doing so, ain't it.

It is also pretty damned bloody mendacious when those same people point to a program failure as proof something doesn't work after doing everything to keep it from working in the first place...

Anyway, as California as demonstrated, when folks work to make the ACA work it does and does pretty damned well.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post

Old 05-27-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
And why was the program suspended?
Congress, however, only appropriated $5 billion for the program’s three and a half years of operation, and from the beginning the expectation was that it would run out of money and close down long before 2014. In fact, however, the program grew slowly initially, and through careful management, HHS has been able to stretch the funding almost until the end of 2013, making plausible a relatively smooth transition to 2014.
Implementing Health Reform: Preexisting Condition Insurance Plan & Medicaid/CHIP Renewal – Health Affairs Blog

Funny how things don't work when other folks are doing there damnest to keep if from doing so, ain't it.

It is also pretty damned bloody mendacious when those same people point to a program failure as proof something doesn't work after doing everything to keep it from working in the first place...

Anyway, as California as demonstrated, when folks work to make the ACA work it does and does pretty damned well.
That reminds me of the old GOP motto, "Government doesn't work, elect us and we will prove it."

Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That reminds me of the old GOP motto, "Government doesn't work, elect us and we will prove it."
Now I have to find something to clean the spittle off of my screen.

That is a great line, can I borrow it

Now that I think about it, it would be a great thread title...

Old 05-27-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Now I have to find something to clean the spittle off of my screen.

That is a great line, can I borrow it

Now that I think about it, it would be a great thread title...
Yeah, its not even mine I heard it a while back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies