Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:48 PM

238 posts, read 1,144,465 times

Advertisements

The water crisis facing Atlanta and other cities down south has been given limited coverage in the newspaper but I have been following it closely. For some reason most people are in denial about the whole thing. What is more important than water? When Atlanta runs out of water early next year we will see a crisis that makes Hurricane Katrina look like nothing.

Much of the crisis is man made because we allowed the greater Atlanta area to grow faster than any city in American history without the infrastructure to keep it going. What has happened to the greater Atlanta area is such a shame. It used to be so nice, now so many trees have been felled and 2 million people have moved into the area in the last 20 years mostly living in cooker cutter subdivisions without any charm.

Your in charge, what should we do about the upcoming crisis in Atlanta and other Southern Cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 01:00 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Pray for Rain?

Seriously the southeast is just beginning to dry up and change from a dry forest with seasonal heavy rain to a grassy savannah environment with much less reliable rainfall. This will have a very large effect on the society, economy and infrastructure required to support the population density currently living there.

The interim solution will likely require more water storage, less agricultural consumption and eventually lower population. All of this will have to factor in the climate change (for whatever reason) that will increase sea levels and dislocate several millions people. This type of regional planning and action should be done with the resources of the federal government. Getting a government capable of the job is another mater.

This is likely to be the most important and difficult problem facing our nation in the next fifty years. The wars over oil profits will pale in comparison to this slow disaster.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:18 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Default When the lakes go dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Pray for Rain?

Seriously the southeast is just beginning to dry up and change from a dry forest with seasonal heavy rain to a grassy savannah environment with much less reliable rainfall. This will have a very large effect on the society, economy and infrastructure required to support the population density currently living there.

The interim solution will likely require more water storage, less agricultural consumption and eventually lower population. All of this will have to factor in the climate change (for whatever reason) that will increase sea levels and dislocate several millions people. This type of regional planning and action should be done with the resources of the federal government. Getting a government capable of the job is another mater.

This is likely to be the most important and difficult problem facing our nation in the next fifty years. The wars over oil profits will pale in comparison to this slow disaster.

Yep. I agree whole heartily on that. I've been watching the great lakes for a little while now and they are getting record lows right now. Now maybe some say it a natural cycle and a lot say it ain't. I'd rather see the government and privates companies error on the side of caution and work contain the water loss problems as much as possible. Because if they don't and the water dries up. Well GregW you already stated the obvious earlier. except this is worse in one respect that is that it going to be an international issue since most the the great lake boarder Canada as well.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:44 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post

Your in charge, what should we do about the upcoming crisis in Atlanta and other Southern Cities?
I would just relax if I were in charge. FEMA is fast and efficient in providing all that is needed...

Seriously though, part of their problem is that around a billion gallons of water per day are being drained out of one of the lakes because of some usage downstream that are energy and economy related.

Honestly though, people have been blowing this off for a long time, until it has neared an imminent danger of completely running out of drinking water.

I wish cities would restrict water usage at residences. Not that I'm a big fan of government control, but water is a 100% SHARED resource. I can guarantee you there have been tons of people in their homes taking long baths, keeping the pool filled, washing the cars, watering the lawns, making yard goldfish ponds or waterfalls, and all other sorts of things. I have no problem with that when the water levels are fine. But as soon as they start dropping, people need to be put on rations. Nothing real low, but a level that would decrease the overall average usage by about 10%. If early steps were taken, it would help prevent some of these large nightmares.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:51 PM

238 posts, read 1,144,465 times
Default Due to upcoming water crisis, how should the government limit population growth in places with inadequate water?

Within the next few years, we will be facing a huge water crisis in many American Cities. Much of the blame is due to sprawl and lack of long term planning. In many cities, like Las Vegas and Atlanta, there are just to many people moving into their metro areas in relation to the water infrastructure. It will be a crisis very soon and after the finger pointing, growth of these cities will have to stop.

Your in charge, how do we stop the rapid population growth of these sprawl cities without limiting Americans right to move to the community of their choice and destroy local economies?

Old 11-01-2007, 01:52 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
The water crisis facing Atlanta and other cities down south has been given limited coverage in the newspaper but I have been following it closely. For some reason most people are in denial about the whole thing. What is more important than water? When Atlanta runs out of water early next year we will see a crisis that makes Hurricane Katrina look like nothing.

Much of the crisis is man made because we allowed the greater Atlanta area to grow faster than any city in American history without the infrastructure to keep it going. What has happened to the greater Atlanta area is such a shame. It used to be so nice, now so many trees have been felled and 2 million people have moved into the area in the last 20 years mostly living in cooker cutter subdivisions without any charm.

First thing I'd do would be to secure our borders and start throwing out millions of illegals. Then I'd enact stricter local controls on growth. Our cities need to be planned better. Just because the US is such a huge country doesn't mean we can handle unchecked population growth. We have reached the point where population growth is now affecting our standard of living.

This is actually an extremely critical issue and something more and more cities and some entire states will have to deal with and it's part of a much bigger problem. Unchecked and unplanned growth puts heavy and unexpected demands on water, power, freeways, and other services. Water rationing is going to become common in the future. Water your lawn on the wrong day and you'll get a ticket. Many freeways are packed with so many people they are handling twice the number of people they are designed for. Power brownouts and blackouts are now common in many areas of the country. Sewers installed a generation ago are breaking apart causing damage to roads. And the days when two cops are in every patrol car have been replaced in many areas with a recording when you dial 911.

This nation has doubled its population in a little over fifty years. If growth projections are correct then it's going to double again in much less time than it took the last time. We have a very narrow opportunity to right the ship. The push towards a NAU will not help either. The key to solving the problem is to slow down our population growth, not realign the nations in North America in a manner that's going to allow huge population growth in our cities from Mexico.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:52 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
How about charge market rates for water utilization?

Old 11-01-2007, 01:53 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
The Weather Channel was excited about the rain. I thought it was starting to be over now?

Old 11-01-2007, 02:20 PM

592 posts, read 2,244,145 times
You mentioned Katrina, On TV they showed how those giant pumps keep the water out of New Or., how about hooking up a giant pipeline from there and pump the water to Georgia ?

Old 11-01-2007, 02:49 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
There is plenty of water; it's just that a lot of it now goes to agriculture. Georgia may be forced to decide between agriculture and the water needs of its cities. My bet is that agriculture will take a hit. The same is true of Colorado. Cities like Aurora need the water that farmers are using. I suspect they will eventually get that water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies