Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have universal health care system in the United States?
Yes, of course! 153 63.22%
No 89 36.78%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 10:28 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times

Advertisements

I support Universal Health Care, but not government operated, administered or impaired.
Universal Health Care:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/27344979-post13.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/26821705-post3.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/23558121-post127.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 10:37 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,072,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
my first post in this thread.
10/4

Old 05-11-2013, 10:39 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Why don't you write me a check for some of that "Not-Yours" money you've stashed in your bank account.

Your post, of course, is nonsensical.
I have $15.87 in my account. That will get you a big bottle of Pepto and maybe some cough drops.

Like I state in all threads at some point:

I simply refuse to play the "point system" or "Left v Right" game.

I mean, yes, you try to live healthy and pay for insurance. I personally do this. But c'mon with this whole "responsible v irresponsible" nonsense.

Are we going to put microchips in food to determine that singular potato chip that gave someone high blood pressure? Then maybe we'll know for sure it's their "fault".

Ideally folks are going to try to eat right, exercise, blah blah but we aren't even close to a point of perfecting the complete care of health.

I remember my doctor telling me one time that in his career he had recommended and then discouraged or vice versa so many foods for medical conditions based on the latest studies that he probably killed just as many people as he helped.

Again, you're trying to "keep points" in a game that isn't perfect absent money/b.s. and you want to try to do it WITH the money involved.

Good luck with that.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I have $15.87 in my account. That will get you a big bottle of Pepto and maybe some cough drops.

Like I state in all threads at some point:

I simply refuse to play the "point system" or "Left v Right" game.

I mean, yes, you try to live healthy and pay for insurance. I personally do this. But c'mon with this whole "responsible v irresponsible" nonsense.

Are we going to put microchips in food to determine that singular potato chip that gave someone high blood pressure? Then maybe we'll know for sure it's their "fault".

Ideally folks are going to try to eat right, exercise, blah blah but we aren't even close to a point of perfecting the complete care of health.

I remember my doctor telling me one time that in his career he had recommended and then discouraged or vice versa so many foods for medical conditions based on the latest studies that he probably killed just as many people as he helped.

Again, you're trying to "keep points" in a game that isn't perfect absent money/b.s. and you want to try to do it WITH the money involved.

Good luck with that.
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say.

My position is we need to get back to "cash and carry" for routine care needs, and insurance only for bankrupting emergencies.

You seem to object to the concept of "money", but the only alternative is barter.

It seems you are trying to overcomplicate things. In an economy, people earn money by labor, mercantile, investment etc., and use that money to pay for things. It is simple and straightforward.

That includes payment for services such as medical care.

Maybe your idea would work in a "commune" where everyone pulled their weight, but beyond that, I don't think it is possible.

One other thing. When I said responsible and irresponsible, I meant people that decide to apply themselves and earn a living to pay for their needs, vs those that chose otherwise. I wasn't talking about living a responsible life as far as foods to eat etc. My opinion is eat whatever you want, but be prepared to accept, i.e. pay, for the consequences.

I think if we went back to cash and carry for routine care, the cost would drop to 25% of its current level as all the "air" was pumped out by market forces being applied. Those forces always result in the best product at the best price, but you have to use your own money or it doesn't work.

Nobody cares about OPM (Other People's Money).

Last edited by Robin Rossi; 05-11-2013 at 11:01 PM..

Old 05-11-2013, 10:52 PM

8,896 posts, read 5,375,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
They won't. YOU and I will. All they are going to do is walk into some office, fill out a form saying they can't afford it, and bam. No tax liability. The rest of us are going to make up the difference with our tax dollars.
I get the feeling LeaveWI was more than happy to let the rest of the taxpayers in Austrlia pay for the $600 medication that he paid less than $80 for. I'd guess we have plenty of people here with the same mentality. Healthcare for all, paid for by OPM (other people's money.)

Old 05-11-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I get the feeling LeaveWI was more than happy to let the rest of the taxpayers in Austrlia pay for the $600 medication that he paid less than $80 for. I'd guess we have plenty of people here with the same mentality. Healthcare for all, paid for by OPM (other people's money.)
Typical of the ilk. They all want something for their nothing.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:07 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Australians, all Australians, paid the $80 for the prescription. US consumers pay more for prescriptions, but then the pharma companies go to other countries and sell the same drug cheaper. I'm tempted to think they don't need the monopoly patent protection as much as they say they do.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:16 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say.

My position is we need to get back to "cash and carry" for routine care needs, and insurance only for bankrupting emergencies.

You seem to object to the concept of "money", but the only alternative is barter.

It seems you are trying to overcomplicate things. In an economy, people earn money by labor, mercantile, investment etc., and use that money to pay for things. It is simple and straightforward.

That includes payment for services such as medical care.

Maybe your idea would work in a "commune" where everyone pulled their weight, but beyond that, I don't think it is possible.

One other thing. When I said responsible and irresponsible, I meant people that decide to apply themselves and earn a living to pay for their needs, vs those that chose otherwise. I wasn't talking about living a responsible life as far as foods to eat etc. My opinion is eat whatever you want, but be prepared to accept, i.e. pay, for the consequences.

I think if we went back to cash and carry for routine care, the cost would drop to 25% of its current level as all the "air" was pumped out by market forces being applied. Those forces always result in the best product at the best price, but you have to use your own money or it doesn't work.
Yes, I went philosophical on you with the money angle and I would even agree with you that cash and carry for routine care probably did work better. Actually I think it did much better.

BUT

(now back to philosophy)

The introduction of money into any natural process (which is what health care is) ALWAYS makes the process much worse. Whether the money is in the form of "government regulation" (Gangster A) or private enterprise (Gangster B) all you are doing is contriving and manipulating a basic need for profit.

If I can't get some folks to go all in on communism I would hope we could at least take money out of the processes of basic human needs.

There's plenty of money to be made in entertainment/ non-essential ventures (breast implants, mom and pop pizza shops, juggling, whatever you can make a buck on).

It's 2013 and people in this country don't have homes, cut meds in half, have to buy water to drink cuz of poor infrastructure and profit margins (again blaming both so-called sides...L vs. R).

It's madness and has to end.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
In 2014 we will have universal.Everyone has to have coverage at taxpyer expense or buy it as determined by income. But not single payer which means Op seems to want someone else to pay for healthcare;bascially.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:19 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,960,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yes, I went philosophical on you with the money angle and I would even agree with you that cash and carry for routine care probably did work better. Actually I think it did much better.

BUT

(now back to philosophy)

The introduction of money into any natural process (which is what health care is) ALWAYS makes the process much worse. Whether the money is in the form of "government regulation" (Gangster A) or private enterprise (Gangster B) all you are doing is contriving and manipulating a basic need for profit.

If I can't get some folks to go all in on communism I would hope we could at least take money out of the processes of basic human needs.

There's plenty of money to be made in entertainment/ non-essential ventures (breast implants, mom and pop pizza shops, juggling, whatever you can make a buck on).

It's 2013 and people in this country don't have homes, cut meds in half, have to buy water to drink cuz of poor infrastructure and profit margins (again blaming both so-called sides...L vs. R).

It's madness and has to end.
Your solution is pending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies