Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:33 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,119,535 times

Advertisements

Why are some people under the impression that there are still free clinics out in the world ? Well I know for a fact that there are no free clinics anywhere , anymore because of all the budget cuts the feds have put on the once free clinics . They have had to shut down .. It just amazes me how some people are so clueless to what is going on out there in the world . I heard a lady at the pharmacy where I go saying that there were programs out there to help people . I asked her if she had ever tried to get on one of those programs and she said she had not . I told her it is tougher than you think . I have an elderly aunt and she is always having trouble with her medicaid she is not eligible for medicare yet . She tried to get on one of these so called programs and omg the paperwork they had to have by the time she finished and sent in the paperwork they called her back and told her she did not qualify . I was astounded to say the least . Im sure there are people out there thinking that there are programs for her but Im here to tell you there is not any programs any more for people considered low income . Now we are going through hell trying to figure out how obama care is going to make her life an even bigger mess . The lady who lives across the street she works for the government and she is telling us that obamacare is going to be a big mess and she is telling my aunt that the way she understands it is that if you make 65.00 a week just saying this for reference then 35 of it will go for obamacare ...now if that is true how in the friggin blue blazes do they expect senior folks to eat ? and have utilities too ? if this is true we are all headed for hell in a handbasket .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 12:34 PM

37,153 posts, read 41,350,718 times
Maybe because there are? There is one in my community.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Maybe because there are? There is one in my community.
well you are lucky because we have nada where we live .

Old 05-10-2013, 02:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,148,932 times
Where do you live? We have many free clinics in the Pittsburgh area. The Catholic organizations run most of them. Religious organizations aren't influenced by tax cuts. Maybe you don't live where Catholics have a large presence. Alternately, we do have some private clinics that rely on government funding and they haven't been closed. I think it really comes down to how much a state and local government cares about these social programs, which has nothing about Obama or federal funding shortages. It's also possible that your area has a free clinic and you just aren't aware of where it is located. I know I had no idea what was available in my area until I did some research for someone else.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well you are lucky because we have nada where we live .
first of all, the government hasn't cut your free anything, they have probably given you more. Next, all you have to do is go to the ER and they will treat you. If you are unable to pay you will not be charged. Now, if you want meds and have a cold or a little of this or that, you probably will have some problems getting medical care, but you probably don't really need it either. As for the stories about paying X number of $$S for Obamacare, that is an exaggeration. I am one who hates the idea of government run medicine, I can't stand the word socialized medicine, but the stories you are hearing are completely wrong. There will be those making less than whatever that will not be required to pay for their insurance. It is the middle class and up, plus small businesses that are getting screwed and yes, some of us on medicare are already feeling the cutbacks. As for filling out paper work than being told you are not eligible, well this happens.

Nita

Old 05-10-2013, 02:15 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,054,311 times
There never was a "free clinic", someone has always been paying your way and they likely got tired of picking up your slack.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:17 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,780,262 times
The private community health corps here in Indianapolis run Med Check clinics which are well run front line low cost clinics. I would think if you had to visit one and qualified financially medicaide would pick up the bill

Old 05-10-2013, 02:22 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,751,509 times
Emergency room county hospital.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
There never was a "free clinic", someone has always been paying your way and they likely got tired of picking up your slack.
wow nothing like assumptions I can tell you did not read the thread this is not about me it is about my elderly aunt and we were wondering if there was a free clinic where she could be seen ..

Old 05-10-2013, 03:32 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,234,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
wow nothing like assumptions I can tell you did not read the thread this is not about me it is about my elderly aunt and we were wondering if there was a free clinic where she could be seen ..
Look up your county health department. They can usually direct you to a clinic that has a sliding scale payment system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies