Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times

Advertisements

Why is there no outrage at ridiculous prolifers that try to intimidate people going to abortion clinics (right up to the door)? You'd think people that were going to such a clinic were doing something illegal. How would people feel if the KKK were trying to intimidate minority voters from voting right up to a voting booth? Pro-lifers are disgusting animals that should stay completely out of someone else's personal affairs.

I find it ironic conservative xtians are so against abortion, yet they are the same exact people that whine about poor uneducated mothers needing food stamps/welfare and eating up tax payer dollars.

Last edited by fibonacci; 01-27-2013 at 11:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Don't dignify them by referring to them by their self-assigned propaganda title. They are anti-choicers, nothing more, nothing less. I am pro-choice, not anti-life and no bible thumping or holier than thou, "save the fetus, screw the child" hypocritical idiot is going to determine the depth or validity of another's moral code or moral compass as far as I am concerned.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:20 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Why is there no outrage at ridiculous prolifers that try to intimidate people going to abortion clinics (right up to the door). You'd think people that were going to such a clinic were doing something illegal. How would people feel if the KKK were trying to intimidate minority voters from voting right up to a voting booth? Pro-lifers are disgusting animals that should stay completely out of someone else's personal affairs.

I find it ironic conservative xtians are so against abortion, yet they are the same exact people that whine about poor uneducated mothers needing food stamps/welfare and eating up tax payer dollars.

What the KKK did more than a century ago was legal and accepted because as a society we hadn't yet developed respect for those vulnerable to a majority that did not honor their rights.

Today, like blacks long ago, those not yet born have been declared non-persons without rights by those in a position of power.

What has changed is those who are inconvenienced by another group's rights and the means by which those rights are denied, but what has not changed is the requirement that an entire class of individuals be legally defined as non-persons before they have their most basic rights denied.

Last edited by momonkey; 01-27-2013 at 11:33 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 06:34 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
I could honestly not care less about abortion. Being a man, I can promise you that I will never, ever, choose to have one. I don't believe the government or anyone else should be allowed to tell an individual what they can or cannot do with their body, and I'm not getting involved in any argument with someone who wants to debate when life begins.

As for the question of why people who are against abortion are allowed to demonstrate in front of clinics, it's because we have this little thing called the First Amendment, which protects the right to assemble, no matter what they are assembling for.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Why is there no outrage at ridiculous prolifers that try to intimidate people going to abortion clinics (right up to the door)? You'd think people that were going to such a clinic were doing something illegal. How would people feel if the KKK were trying to intimidate minority voters from voting right up to a voting booth? Pro-lifers are disgusting animals that should stay completely out of someone else's personal affairs.

You are right, they are disgusting and it is no way to dissuade a woman from having an abortion. I do agree with people acting respectfully standing outside the clincs though. Some women go there with many doubts and they are sometimes the only people who can give them another option.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
As for the question of why people who are against abortion are allowed to demonstrate in front of clinics, it's because we have this little thing called the First Amendment, which protects the right to assemble, no matter what they are assembling for.
That pretty much sums it up.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:07 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:

You make a compelling argument that we should encourage abortion to get rid of the poor trash that happen to get pregnant. See you on the polo green in 5minutes chauncey!

Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Don't dignify them by referring to them by their self-assigned propaganda title. They are anti-choicers, nothing more, nothing less. I am pro-choice, not anti-life and no bible thumping or holier than thou, "save the fetus, screw the child" hypocritical idiot is going to determine the depth or validity of another's moral code or moral compass as far as I am concerned.
This.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-12-2013 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: response to deletion

Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Pro-lifers are disgusting animals that should stay completely out of someone else's personal affairs.
I would not go so far as to say disgusting animals but I see where you are coming from. I am sure their heart is in the right place and they feel what they are doing is right and justified.

The problem for such people is that they have decided that abortion is a moral atrocity and evil. But they have no arguments, evidence, data or reasoning to back up such a position. They think it for no other reason than they think it.

So debate and rationality fails them since their position is indefensible so they are forced to go through other routes from emotional black mail to shock jocking.

For example while my opinions on the subject of abortion were in formation I noticed that in Dublin City where I am from there was often stalls set up with anti abortion leaflets and 4 foot color photos of aborted fetuses designed to shock and disgust people into being against abortion.

So one day I decided to listen to their side. I calmly and politely went to listen to their arguments. I asked them what their position on abortion was and their reasons for holding them. I was told "Look at the pictures man!" but I asked for more only to be told "The pictures man... look at the pictures.... thats a dead baby man... look at the pictures man".

After awhile I realised that all of these representatives of the pro life position (I think there was 6 that day) had nothing. Nothing at all to support their case. Unpleasant pictures was not just the tactic used to draw people in to hear their anti abortion case. The pictures WERE their anti abortion case. It started there, it ended there. It was all they had. Needless to say I was unconvinced. I could just as easily produce horrifically unpleasant photos of heart bypass surgery. Ones disgust at photos of such a thing however does not make it a moral atrocity, an evil or a crime. Unpleasant photos say nothing, nothing at all, on the subject of the morality of abortion.

Having such a weak and undefended but passionately held position can not be easy to live with. So while I agree with you that their intimidation tactics are abhorrent and vile... we can at least stop and foster some understanding for the frustration and helplessness inherent in holding such unsubstantiated but emotionally moving notions as they do and their failures which come hard and fast can only serve to fuel their pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
there is also no proof disproving god either genuis.
Thankfully however those people with even the tiniest modicum of philosophical training or knowledge know that there is zero onus on us to present any. The onus lie entirely and solely at the feet of those claiming there is a god to substantiate that claim. There is zero onus on the rest of us to prove the negative.

For further information on this simply Google phrases like "Proving a negative" and "Burden of proof" but if you have any questions on it I would be more than happy to help you with them further.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

The First Amendment does not give groups the right to intimidate. The FBI would be all over the case if groups of white supremacists stood outside of polling places right up to the voting booth trying to scare away black and Hispanic voters. Sure groups of white supremacists have the right to assemble and march, but that are not allowed to intimidate other people from doing what they should be legally allowed to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies