Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:24 PM

233 posts, read 239,067 times

Advertisements

9 police officers, beat the man. But here is the part I like "Witnesses who had recorded the events on their cell phone cameras had the devices confiscated by officers, who claimed the footage was part of a police investigation that could yield evidence."

This is happening all too often around the country. At least the man was not suicidal...in Albuquerque they handle that by saying "your gonna take your own life...we will do it for you"! See link
This is really getting out of control with cops and law enforcement.

California Dad 'Begged For His Life' As Police Beat Him To Death - Witnesses - Liberty Crier

» $10 million verdict in APD shooting (with corrected information) | ABQ Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 12:18 AM

30,259 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropes1981 View Post
9 police officers, beat the man. But here is the part I like "Witnesses who had recorded the events on their cell phone cameras had the devices confiscated by officers, who claimed the footage was part of a police investigation that could yield evidence."

This is happening all too often around the country. At least the man was not suicidal...in Albuquerque they handle that by saying "your gonna take your own life...we will do it for you"! See link
This is really getting out of control with cops and law enforcement.

California Dad 'Begged For His Life' As Police Beat Him To Death - Witnesses - Liberty Crier

» $10 million verdict in APD shooting (with corrected information) | ABQ Journal
WTF?!?!

If this is true, that he was allegedly drunk and disorderly, these officers need to be in prison. NINE officers could not detain ONE individual? REALLY?! I find that very difficult to believe.

Do they not have mace? Do they not have tasers? There is protocol, steps you go through before you ever get to the "beat the crap out of the guy" phase. There is verbal, there is back up, (which, nine fricken officers should have been able to get the guy on the ground and handcuff him), there is chemical agents or whatever they may have...

There is no excuse that a person dies just because the neighbors say he was drunk. CHP better do the right thing here.

Your second link requires subscribing which, no.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:25 AM

545 posts, read 400,481 times
Here is the video on the alleged matter:

California dad 'begged for his life' as police beat him to death - witnesses Newly released video - YouTube

Now why isn't this getting more attention, I could not say. But like most pressing things with our nation (economy, jobs, energy independence, taxes, etc, etc) it would probably be ignored for more important things like birth control or gay athletes.

We seem to be sliding more and more into the abyss but at least the stock market is doing well right?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:36 AM

Bah! Why did they zoom out?! Hard to see what's going on. You CAN see a cop beating on him a few times but after that, you can't see much of anything but cop cars showing up and a bunch of people around the alleged drunk guy.

What you CAN see is that he was already on the ground...why, then, are they hitting him over and over again? Even with two or three, they should have been able to handle this. Mace his ass, you don't just beat the crap out of him.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:07 AM

545 posts, read 400,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
WTF?!?!

If this is true, that he was allegedly drunk and disorderly, these officers need to be in prison. NINE officers could not detain ONE individual? REALLY?! I find that very difficult to believe.

Do they not have mace? Do they not have tasers? There is protocol, steps you go through before you ever get to the "beat the crap out of the guy" phase. There is verbal, there is back up, (which, nine fricken officers should have been able to get the guy on the ground and handcuff him), there is chemical agents or whatever they may have...

There is no excuse that a person dies just because the neighbors say he was drunk. CHP better do the right thing here.

Have you every read reactions of police brutality from all over the net? From YouTube to blogs mainstream sources to fringe sites like worldstarhiphop? You be surprised at some of the reactions can be.

For example, I say this one video that took place in an IHOP with cops responding to a complaint of some sort. They approached a table full of ladies and one officer begun to arrest one of the female patrons. One of her friends tried to interfere by placing her hand on the officers arm in an attempt to get him to let go her friend. How do he respond?. He straights cold clock the female so hard that one of the officers behind him looked surprised and even tried to subdue the officer. Now, if the female was interfering you push her down, slap the cuffs on her and haul her ass to jail too. But to punch her so hard that even your partner was shocked seemed excessive. That was my reaction, but I am a nut job so that's a moot point I suppose. So how did the bloggers react?. " Yeah you punch that b*tch" ...."b*tches need to be put in their place"..........."when an officers tells you do something you do it"

My point?. The sheepish, irrational, conditioned, herd like mentality amongst the population seems to fuel this. I mean look at the TSA, I was certain this was the final straw, but nope, like the good little sheep Americans seem to have become the simply learned to live with it. When have it became acceptable to for our men in blue to straight knock people out?. When they are allowed to carry tasers, mace, etc, etc. And call for backup. When you punch people in the face you make that more then doing your job, you make that personal. And when you make it personal, the line becomes blurred, and when that happens you don't see yourself as law enforcement anymore but the actual law itself.

You can't keep blasting a person in the face with 20 of your partners, half of which have their batons out, all on one person who is already immobilized on the ground and be like "it was to get him to comply". Well hell, I hate to see what you people would do if he actually started kicking and really resisting.

If you think its acceptable for a cop to deck someone right in the middle of their face with a bare-fist for the most minor things or to beat an already subdued suspect, then don't be surprised when stuff like this happens.

But if you don't think this is acceptable then remember, these people are human, they are flawed, just like you. You don't have to blindly obey them as if they are demigods, they may like to believe they are, but they are not. I mean killing innocent people and to shrug their shoulders and go "my bad" and go on as if nothing happened and by us tolerating it only legitimizes their actions and reinforce their egos belief that they really are demigods and can get away with anything. You and I can't shot and kill someone who was holding a pencil and be like "I thought it was a gun" and go home that night. So why can they?. Hell, half of us can't even carry a gun depending on what city you are in. They are human, they make mistakes, but their mistakes can cost lives, they need to remember that and not act like they are above making mistakes.

Suing seems to be a half-measure. They need to know they are not invincible and their badge can only offer so much protection. But for that to happen people would have to band together, by the thousands or more and collectively push back not only legislatively but with firepower also. Easier said then done, right?. I can dream. It's far easier to obey.

Last edited by EricGold; 05-13-2013 at 01:30 AM..

Old 05-13-2013, 01:10 AM

233 posts, read 239,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
WTF?!?!

Oh sorry on the second link. Here is the facts on that particular case. In confrontations with mentally ill, cops face tough choices - CBS News

Some highlights from the story "Jonelle Ellis' 25-year-old brother Kenneth returned from Iraq with severe post-traumatic stress disorder. He spent three months as an in-patient at a Veterans Affairs hospital."

"On Jan. 13, 2010, police investigating an auto theft ring stopped Ellis for questioning in a convenience store parking lot. He held a gun to his head, pacing for ten minutes, telling police he did not want to hurt anyone else but was going to kill himself. Police told him repeatedly to put down the gun.

Then suddenly, a police officer shot him. Ellis died at the scene."

Old 05-13-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
Have you every read reactions of police brutality from all over the net? From YouTube to blogs mainstream sources to fringe sites like worldstarhiphop? You be surprised at some of the reactions can be.

For example, I say this one video that took place in an IHOP with cops responding to a complaint of some sort. They approached a table full of ladies and one officer begun to arrest one of the female patrons. One of her friends tried to interfere by placing her hand on the officers arm in an attempt to get him to let go her friend. How do he respond?. He straights cold clock the female so hard that one of the officers behind him looked surprised and even tried to subdue the officer. Now, if the female was interfering you push her down, slap the cuffs on her and haul her ass to jail too. But to punch her so hard that even your partner was shocked seemed excessive. That was my reaction, but I am a nut job so that's a moot point I suppose. So how did the bloggers react?. " Yeah you punch that b*tch" ...."b*tches need to be put in their place"..........."when an officers tells you do something you do it"

My point?. The sheepish, irrational, conditioned, herd like mentality amongst the population seems to fuel this. I mean look at the TSA, I was certain this was the final straw, but nope, like the good little sheep Americans seem to have become the simply learned to live with it. When have it became acceptable to for our men in blue to straight knock people out?. When they are allowed to carry tasers, mace, etc, etc. And call for backup. When you punch people in the face you make that more then doing your job, you make that personal. And when you make it personal, the line becomes blurred, and when that happens you don't see yourself as law enforcement anymore but the actual law itself.

You can't keep blasting a person in the face with 20 of your partners, half of which have their batons out, all on one person who is already immobilized on the ground and be like "it was to get him to comply". Well hell, I hate to see what you people would do if he actually started kicking and really resisting.

If you think its acceptable for a cop to deck someone right in the middle of their face with a bare-fist for the most minor things or to beat an already subdued suspect, then don't be surprised when stuff like this happens.

But if you don't think this is acceptable then remember, these people are human, they are flawed, just like you. You don't have to blindly obey them as if they are demigods, they may like to believe they are, but they are not. I mean killing innocent people and to shrug their shoulders and go "my bad" and go on as if nothing happened and by us tolerating it only legitimizes their actions and reinforce their egos belief that they really are demigods and can get away with anything. You and I can't shot and kill someone who was holding a pencil and be like "I thought it was a gun" and go home that night. So why can they?. Hell, half of us can't even carry a gun depending on what city you are in. They are human, they make mistakes, but their mistakes can cost lives, they need to remember that and not act like they are above making mistakes.

Suing seems to be a half-measure. They need to know they are not invincible and their badge can only offer so much protection. But for that to happen people would have to band together, by the thousands or more and collectively push back not only legislatively but with firepower also. Easier said then done, right?. I can dream. It's far easier to obey.
What the hell are you going on about? Where in your mind did you get the idea that I supported what they did?

Old 05-13-2013, 04:12 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,030,232 times
The kern county deputies are hopefully held accountable but i wont hold my breath. I believe a few chp officers were involved as well. Lets hope nothing mysteriously happens to the confiscated cell phones. I saw this on the news yesterday. it often seems alot of the media is pro police. I wonder what would of happened to the people if they refused to hand over their cell phones ?
California dad ‘begged for his life’ as police beat him to death – witnesses | End the Lie – Independent News

Old 05-13-2013, 05:01 AM

500 posts, read 376,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
You do realize that not everything you see on the internet is true, don't you?

Getting your "facts" from YouTube and blogs is not wise.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:23 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,913,366 times
He wasn't black...no wonder this isn't a national phenomenon by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies