Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 03:59 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm not arguing for massive expensive programs that the city doesn't have with no explanations as to how all of this is supposed to be paid for but if you feel that is honest, have at it.
Obviously your solution to one of our country's historical cities is to bulldoze it, that basically ends the conversation.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:03 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
Quote:
Obviously your solution to one of our country's historical cities is to bulldoze it, that basically ends the conversation.
I've been to Detroit and quite a bit of what WAS historical in Detroit, namely the older part of the city inside Grand Boulevard, is ALREADY gone, or going fast. A lot levelled via urban renewal besides the usual abandonment-related demolition and vacancy/deterioration.

But sure there are a lot of nice old churches still standing.... and a few of then historic auto plants are still standing (thinking of Highland Park Ford plant and maybe that Packard factory).

Old 05-14-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I've been to Detroit and quite a bit of what WAS historical in Detroit, namely the older part of the city inside Grand Boulevard, is ALREADY gone, or going fast. A lot levelled via urban renewal besides the usual abandonment-related demolition and vacancy/deterioration.

But sure there are a lot of nice old churches still standing.... and a few of then historic auto plants are still standing (thinking of Highland Park Ford plant and maybe that Packard factory).
It is always sad to see a historically beautiful city be bulldozed, there has already been so much damage done to the city. Hopefully the city will be able to figure out how to re-invent itself and and fix much of the damages of urban renewal.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
As I pointed out with the actions in Cleveland, it doesn't. It gives a partial solution and a way to pay for it. Something you have refused to do.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
As I pointed out with the actions in Cleveland, it doesn't. It gives a partial solution and a way to pay for it. Something you have refused to do.
I have been to Cleveland, it is not bulldozing its city and starting over, like you seem to suggest in doing.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:15 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
It is too late to save Detroit. We need to trade them to Canada for Winnipeg. Maybe throw in a Babe Ruth card and a signed Wayne Gretzkey jersey to sweeten the deal.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:25 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I have been to Cleveland, it is not bulldozing its city and starting over, like you seem to suggest in doing.
I posted the article. They are bulldozing the blight and they are not 60 billion in debt so they do not have to go to the lengths Detroit will.

I see you still didn't mention where all this money is going to come from.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:34 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Detroit will be Haiti part 2 in the next 10 years if something major does not happen.

Or is that Somali ?

Old 05-14-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I posted the article. They are bulldozing the blight and they are not 60 billion in debt so they do not have to go to the lengths Detroit will.

I see you still didn't mention where all this money is going to come from.
Money comes from the increase in the tax base by trying to bring in a more diverse industry. If they focus their current funds towards safety and sanitation services, while trying to restructure their school system as well as sell off excess buildings to encourage the growth of charter schools to help improve the education of the city.

Also, neighborhoods that are almost completely bulldozed or vacant already could be fully bulldozed and reclaimed natural land, creating a mixture of park land and possibly forest land within the city. Neighborhoods that are more intact, the city should strengthen and encourage renovation of buildings and the building of new homes, making it easier for people to purchase lots and build homes for themselves.

Once there is a foundation for the city and a growing tax base, as well as a growing diverse industry, then it begins to turn debt into a healthy city.

None of this happens overnight, and none of this is easy to do. It requires city officials, community leaders, and the people of Detroit to make their city come back.

Bulldozing the entire city and starting over is nothing more than a copout.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Detroit will be Haiti part 2 in the next 10 years if something major does not happen.

Or is that Somali ?
That is a bit of a stretch, no American city is going to become like the entire country of Haiti in 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies