Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 09:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You could say Atlanta is black-ruled and it isn't collapsing by any means. Atlanta attracted educated Blacks. Detroit, well, educated Blacks basically fled there.

I have a question. What kind of point are you trying to make about Blacks? What kind of agenda do you have?
Granted I have very little knowledge of the workings of Atlanta. My general knowledge would lead me to believe your description of Atlanta is correct.

I do not recall anywhere near the corruption in Atlanta that Detroit has seen. It's not the color of the skin but rather a willingness to accept corruption.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 AM

73,023 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Yes but again what did they do that Detroit didn't? They attracted new jobs to the area. Now many of the things you mention are also working against Detroit. The failure to address crime being a big one.
North Carolina attracted jobs because it attracted a large, educated population. The educated are leaving Detroit. And one question have I not addressed crime?

My point about the unions was this. Why is it that other places can have unions, and not be in nearly as bad of shape as Detroit?

Quote:
This is really a tangent but there is more food in Detroit than the south?
I never said there was more food in Detroit. My point is about the way things are set up. If you are poor in Detroit, of course it will be quite hard. If you are poor in the South, it will be quite hard as well.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Granted I have very little knowledge of the workings of Atlanta. My general knowledge would lead me to believe your description of Atlanta is correct.

I do not recall anywhere near the corruption in Atlanta that Detroit has seen. It's not the color of the skin but rather a willingness to accept corruption.
Atlanta has its problems. However, not nearly to the same levels as Detroit. I've been to the city of Atlanta. I have never seen the level of decay that Detroit has. There has been corruption in Atlanta. However, not to the levels of New Orleans or Detroit. The one major problem has been with the schools and a cheating scandal. However, the persons involved in that have lost their jobs and are going to be punished for it.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
North Carolina attracted jobs because it attracted a large, educated population. The educated are leaving Detroit. And one question have I not addressed crime?
Yes, I wasn't saying you didn't. I am saying that they have done little about it. A large educated population will follow the jobs.

Quote:
My point about the unions was this. Why is it that other places can have unions, and not be in nearly as bad of shape as Detroit?
I am not blaming everything on the unions. The reason though is their entire tax base was not dependent on union jobs and an unwillingness to change.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Atlanta has its problems. However, not nearly to the same levels as Detroit. I've been to the city of Atlanta. I have never seen the level of decay that Detroit has. There has been corruption in Atlanta. However, not to the levels of New Orleans or Detroit. The one major problem has been with the schools and a cheating scandal. However, the persons involved in that have lost their jobs and are going to be punished for it.
I did read that now that you mention it. Yes, it seems that the people of Atlanta quickly took actions to address the corruption in this case. Something Detroit failed to do until others stepped in.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I did read that now that you mention it. Yes, it seems that the people of Atlanta quickly took actions to address the corruption in this case. Something Detroit failed to do until others stepped in.
That is one big difference. People are willing to do something about it in Atlanta. The question is this. Why is it that Atlanta residents are quick to act when corruption rears its ugly head?

Old 05-14-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I am not blaming everything on the unions. The reason though is their entire tax base was not dependent on union jobs and an unwillingness to change.
I was trying to say something similar. Detroit puts its eggs in one basket. It depended heavily and singularly on the automobile jobs. North Carolina wasn't dependent of textiles. It went into other things like banks, and technology.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
That is one big difference. People are willing to do something about it in Atlanta. The question is this. Why is it that Atlanta residents are quick to act when corruption rears its ugly head?
Most likely because there was nothing in it for them.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
To bring Detroit back, it starts with education and innovation. It also starts with getting the crime under control. It is a cycle. The money to pay police officers, EMT's and firemen has to come from somewhere. Improvements from schools have to come from somewhere. I will be the first say that it starts with the parents. It also starts with getting the education system improved.
Seems most arguments are around what should have been done in the past. But considering the way Detroit currently is, how will a conservative bring it back - that's the question. (The parents remain the same parents). How cutting spending (and or lowering taxes) will solve the problems of this city? (Even if unions are banned from tomorrow). Will cutting budgets lower the crime rate? If budgets are cut, will that improve the education system? If I have money to invest - will I move to, or invest in Detroit?
And, as some posters demand - who will invest the billions Detroit needs?

Last edited by oberon_1; 05-14-2013 at 10:39 AM..

Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Seems most arguments are around what should have been done in the past. But considering the way Detroit currently is, how will a conservative bring it back - that's the question. (The parents remain the same parents). How cutting spending (and or lowering taxes) will solve the problems of this city?
Again, you act like they have another option. When you go for decades doing stupid things it's not going to be pretty when it crashes.

Quote:
(Even if unions are banned from tomorrow). Will cutting budgets lower the crime rate? If budgets are cut, will that improve the education system? If I have money to invest - will I move to, or invest in Detroit?
And, as some posters demand - who will invest the billions Detroit needs?
So Detroit should open up their own printing presses and just start printing money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies