Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 01:46 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I don't care that the IRS waved the white flag or acted like a teen that got caught looking at dad's Playboy magazines. Scrutinizing groups that are more likely to violate IRS regulations is proper.
And that can be determined by words found in the name of the group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 01:49 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
And that can be determined by words found in the name of the group?
Profiling. Something most conservatives I hear wholeheartedly support!

Old 05-13-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Profiling. Something most conservatives I hear wholeheartedly support!
So do you support profiling?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:57 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I don't care that the IRS waved the white flag or acted like a teen that got caught looking at dad's Playboy magazines. Scrutinizing groups that are more likely to violate IRS regulations is proper.
Any evidence of that? Did their "scrutiny" catch anyone?

Some of the same people brushing off the "scrutiny" committed by a powerful organization that admitted they were targeting people based on politics would be outraged if police asked a convicted felon on the streets to empty their pockets.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:00 PM

IRS kept shifting targets in tax-exempt groups scrutiny: report | Reuters

Turns out the IRS was doing a little more than just using names like "Tea Party" to unfairly target groups.

Quote:
When tax agents started singling out non-profit groups for extra scrutiny in 2010, they looked at first only for key words such as 'Tea Party,' but later they focused on criticisms by groups of "how the country is being run," according to investigative findings reviewed by Reuters on Sunday.

Over two years, IRS field office agents repeatedly changed their criteria while sifting through thousands of applications from groups seeking tax-exempt status to select ones for possible closer examination, the findings showed.

At one point, the agents chose to screen applications from groups focused on making "America a better place to live."

"Issues" criteria were also used, TIGTA found. Scrutiny was being given to references to "Government spending, Government debt, or taxes; Education of the public via advocacy/lobbying to 'make America a better place to live;' and Statements in the case file (that) criticize how the country is being run."

Old 05-13-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
So do you support profiling?
Nope, not at all. As I said, that's something conservatives wholeheartedly support!

Old 05-13-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Nope, not at all. As I said, that's something conservatives wholeheartedly support!
I see I'm stuck dealing with morons in denial this afternoon, thanks for your time.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I see I'm stuck dealing with morons in denial this afternoon, thanks for your time.
You asked a question, I answered. No need for personal attacks.

I notice you didn't deny it.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:17 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
have you ever seen a video of a monkey with his arms full of fruit reaching down for just one more piece to pick up? As he does, a piece of fruit drops from his grasp...so he is continuously reaching for the most recent fallen fruit.

Kinda reminds me of Republicans these days.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
You asked a question, I answered. No need for personal attacks.

I notice you didn't deny it.
You never asked me if I supported profiling, you made a asinine statement about conservatives supporting profiling while talking about an instance of a Democrat admin using profiling. Do you see how ignorant that sounds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies