Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 03:45 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times

Advertisements

Criminals have carried concealed weapons freely for decades in Illinois, of course. Only law-abiding citizens have been affected by the state's ban... with predictable results, as crime rates, murder rates, assaults, rapes of law-abiding citizens etc. have soared.

Now, at last, criminals can no longer be sure their intended victim has been disarmed by the state. Though most Illinois residents still won't bother carrying, a few will. And the criminals will never know which ones they are. Or even whether some other passer-by has a gun and the willingness to use it.

It's enough to make a criminal consider taking up a different line of work. Gee, that's too bad

-------------------------------------------------------

http://blogs.suntimes.com/politics/2...d_weapons.html

Appeals court overturns Illinois concealed carry law in gun rights victory

by Dave McKinney on December 11, 2012 11:21 AM

SPRINGFIELD - In a huge win for gun-rights groups, a federal appeals court in Chicago Tuesday tossed the state's ban on carrying concealed weapons and gave Illinois' Legislature 180 days to craft a law legalizing concealed carry.

"The debate is over. We won. And there will be a statewide carry law in 2013," said Todd Vandermyde, a lobbyist for the National Rifle Association.

In a split opinion (see below), the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals reversed a lower court ruling in two cases downstate that upheld the state's longstanding prohibition against carrying concealed weapons.
Illinois is the only state with an outright prohibition on concealed carry.

"We are disinclined to engage in another round of historical analysis to determine whether eighteenth-century America understood the Second Amendment to include a right to bear guns outside the home," Judge Richard Posner wrote in the court's majority opinion.

"The Supreme Court has decided that the amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside. The theoretical and empirical evidence (which overall is inconclusive) is consistent with concluding that a right to carry firearms in public may promote self-defense," he continued.

"Illinois had to provide us with more than merely a rational basis for believing that its uniquely sweeping ban is justified by an increase in public safety. It has failed to meet this burden," Posner wrote.

"The Supreme Court's interpretation of the Second Amendment therefore compels us to reverse the decisions in the two cases before us and remand them to their respective district courts for the entry of declarations of unconstitutionality and permanent injunctions," he continued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 03:48 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Now maybe the Killings in Chicago will start to go down. Prior to this only the criminals could posess a handgun.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:49 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,745 times
Good. Sanity prevails.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:56 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
As someone who grew up in IL, I would never have guessed that I would see this in my lifetime. Reminiscent of the fall of the USSR, 20 years ago.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:19 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Now hopefully the law they write is a "shall issue" permit and not a "may issue" like most of California which ends up being a ban for the average citizen in most urban areas.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:38 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,745 times
Yeah, I lived in NY where they had a "may issue" CCW, first it was insanely expensive, and the SOP is to automatically deny the first application, and if you don't have what, in their opinion, is a DAMN good reason (about the only thing that qualified was being employed as a bona fide armed guard for the right companies) you weren't getting one.

Was the functional equivalent of not even having the option.

Here in FL, whole other story.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:45 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Here in California each County Sheriff and/or City Police Chief dictates how liberal or conservativly they approve CCW permits.

I suspect Ill. To adopt something similar.

I bet Bob "the bitchassed whiner" Costas is crying in his mic right now.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:49 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I bet Bob "the bitchassed whiner" Costas is crying in his mic right now.
Him and many other frustrated big-government fanatics.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:25 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,098,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
As someone who grew up in IL, I would never have guessed that I would see this in my lifetime. Reminiscent of the fall of the USSR, 20 years ago.
Me too on the one hand Im happy for all the good folks that havent moved out of there yet, and on the other I wonder WHY DID THEY WAIT SO LONG TO OVERTURN THIS CRAP???

Old 12-11-2012, 05:38 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,113 times
That's great and long overdue.

I am still glad I live in New Hampshire though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies