Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:44 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Obama is pretty low drama. Benghazi is an embarrassment, for sure, but all presidents have such incidents.
That is stupid. All presidents DO NOT have such incidents. Yes, all presidents have embassy attacks, but none I've ever heard of had denial of extra security before the attack, denial of help during the (hours long) attack, or the lying afterwards. Maybe you don't think it's important for presidents and staff to be truthful to us, but I do. I know they aren't, but when it's found out that they lied there should be repercussions.

If Obama had only directed a better response during the attack instead of delegating it to Panetta and not once calling him to check in the rest of the evening, I'd have been much more forgiving. But what he did is unforgiveable. Then, to make matters worse, they're telegraphing to the world that the United States has no assets that can protect their people around the world within 20 hours! I don't think it's the truth, but to tell people that is asinine. We actually set up an emergency response team to do just that, and yet it wasn't utilized. The question is, was it not utilized because of incompetence or because of politics?

There was testimony that there were special forces in Tripoli ready and willing to go to Benghazi, but were told to stand down. Even if it was only four, I bet they could have made a huge difference. Just think how much difference two former SEALS made (one of which ignored the stand down order and went anyway). Those guys saved the lives of the rest of our people in that post, and saved Obama from having an even larger scandal. Add four more and we may have at the very least saved Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Not deflecting, just proving the total hypocrisy of the right concerning presidents and their controversies.
No, you're generalizing when you think everyone on the right approved of the past controversies. I did not approve. But even though I couldn't stand Bush and feel his wars were a huge mistake, I highly doubt he would ever leave our people unsecured or not send a response team in a situation like this.

Besides, Bush allowed outside investigations into his scandals, such as the 9/11 Commission and the Valerie Plame affair. So far, Obama has refused to allow that on any of his scandals. They've all been "investigated" by inside people, like the Justice Dept. on Fast & Furious and former Amb. Pickering on Benghazi.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:58 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
A. the AP situation was all about the AP leaking information about a spy program B. Benghazi is the conservatives tactic to try to discredit the president. Won't work, nice try C. the IRS specifically targeted MANY groups looking for non profit status, NOT just tea party groups, however those are the groups the conservatives will ONLY talk about. Looking for non profit status? Hell yeah they're going to be scrutinized more closely. How many groups or people could pop up lying saying that they're some non profit organization? People lie all the time. Anyway, all of this is nothing to get hysterical about but the conservatives are profoundly adept at becoming hysterical with their poutrage.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:03 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Demagogue- the Right has it down pat.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Crap I would have been wiped off the face of the earth in my early 20's and we didn't have a clue that the U.S. came so close to nuclear wipeout. Yep paranoia and too much power, a deadly mix.
And yet I think the world is much less safe now than it was then. The Russians and Americans had enough nuclear power to destroy the Earth, tenfold, but that strength and the general rationality of the actors prevented it. Now we have what is basically a nuclear arms race in the third world, and I don't think those actors are always rational. Imagine nukes in the hands of the Taliban. Pakistan has them, and it's highly unstable with a lot of Taliban there. Iran would probably just use it to put the fear of God in their neighbors, but North Korea seems to be run by a crazy man now. It's much scarier now.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
A. the AP situation was all about the AP leaking information about a spy program B. Benghazi is the conservatives tactic to try to discredit the president. Won't work, nice try C. the IRS specifically targeted MANY groups looking for non profit status, NOT just tea party groups, however those are the groups the conservatives will ONLY talk about. Looking for non profit status? Hell yeah they're going to be scrutinized more closely. How many groups or people could pop up lying saying that they're some non profit organization? People lie all the time. Anyway, all of this is nothing to get hysterical about but the conservatives are profoundly adept at becoming hysterical with their poutrage.
If they specifically targeted MANY groups, then why did they only specifically apologize to conservatives? Answer, they wouldn't! You are wrong, conservative groups were the only ones targeted.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
If they specifically targeted MANY groups, then why did they only specifically apologize to conservatives? Answer, they wouldn't! You are wrong, conservative groups were the only ones targeted.
Oh. Ok.
IRS targeted groups that criticized the government, IG report says

Old 05-14-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Your link proves my point. They specifically targeted conservative groups with "Patriot" in name, or "Tea Party" or groups wanting to limit government, or educate people on the Constitution. Those are conservative groups. The keywords did not include any group with the word "Progress" in their names, did they?

Old 05-14-2013, 08:23 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
  • IRS discrimination
  • drone attacks
  • a Congress who won't cooperate
  • Benghazi
  • Justice Department obtaining APs documents illegally
  • Fast and Furious
The thing about the Bush presidency is that his worst decision as president, the Iraq War, was voted on by the majority of Congress.

It just seems this administration is falling apart.
It's your tin foil hat. If you'll remove that, you'll find instant relief.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Your link proves my point. They specifically targeted conservative groups with "Patriot" in name, or "Tea Party" or groups wanting to limit government, or educate people on the Constitution. Those are conservative groups. The keywords did not include any group with the word "Progress" in their names, did they?
But six months later, the IRS applied a new political test to groups that applied for tax-exempt status as “social welfare” groups, the document says. On Jan. 15, 2012 the agency decided to target “political action type organizations involved in limiting/expanding Government, educating on the Constitution and Bill of Rights, social economic reform movement.,” according to the appendix in the IG report, which was requested by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee and has yet to be released.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies