Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:03 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,843,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
That's a load of hogwash too. The vast majority are not ever tested because the test itself is so expensive ... $4000 just to test to see if you carry a gene that is found common to a small minority of cancer sufferers yet claimed to carry such huge increased risks.

Nowhere .... not in government ... banking .. international affairs ... or even street thug gang politics can you find greater levels of deliberate fraud and the lack of integrity common to the medical research field, and particularly in studies and statistics which are so often designed to produce preconceived outcomes and conclusions, which are geared to do one thing .... generate increased revenue for the medical establishment.

To illustrate the fraud in just this one instance .... all you hear about is the BRA1 & BRCA2 genes. You don't hear about CHEK2, PTEN, P53 and others which are also hereditary mutations associated with increased cancer risks. Why is that? Because no one has a patent on testing for those genes, and consequently there is no vested interest in funding a massive marketing campaign to SELL YOU on being tested for them like there is with BRCA. Follow the money baby .... because that's what they love ... they couldn't care less about you.

So, here we have a massive marketing campaign to sell $4000 tests .... which is what cars used to cost not that many years ago ... and even more recently ... what many considered expensive medical treatment costs, rather than the cost of a diagnostic test which reveals a genetic mutation for which there is NO TREATMENT to correct. So, what is the point of the test? I'll tell you, since it appears to be beyond your capacity to figure out on your own .... it's to sell you more .... more in terms of more frequent mammogram testing (which I've already provided you all with the data showing that mammograms increase the risks of cancer and particularly in the high risk groups), and or, selling you on the idea that you've already swallowed hook, line and sinker .... the irrational idiocy of surgically removing healthy body parts as a precautionary measure, and the associated costs of this being around $25000 and up?

Do you even comprehend the amounts of potential revenue at play here to convince every woman to have the BRCA testing ... the increases in mammogram testing ... the increases in fearful women agreeing to be mutilated as a precautionary measure?

And you think this is all about the medical establishment's desire to save your life? If you believe that, you've got a far more severe genetic disorder than a pair of corrupted genes.
In my family's case, the BRCA testing all occurred after cancer was already detected. Including a male with breast cancer, which was when the testing was first suggested. There had also been a family history of cancer. I have 15 cousins. Four of them have breast cancer (that I know of) as does my sister. I'm not aware of everyone who has been tested, but 3 of the 5 with cancer have been tested and they have the BRCA II gene. There are others who have tested positive, but do not yet have any cancers. Those with the mutated BRCA II have a total 5 female children and 1 male child. All the children are in their early 20s.

I think it is much better to know about the gene than not to know. The reactions in my family of what to do if you have the gene probably reflects all the options: when to start testing, whether to test, whether to have offspring (50% chance of passing it on), whether or not to have preventive surgery (if so when), etc.

These mutations and the ramifications are real. They are not just some marketing scam.

I do find the actions of Myriad Genetics, who holds the BRCA patent, to be unconscionable.

Yes, there are lots of organizations and people trying to maximize profits off of sick people. That fact is not limited to people with cancer or possibility of developing cancer. However this should not stop people of attempting to access the best care available.

My prayers go out to those like my family members who are trying to navigate as best they can our for profit health care system which does not in all cases work for the benefit of the patient.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:20 AM

19,615 posts, read 12,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No expendable body part is worth dying for. And whether it is 60% or 85%, if I had a fairly good chance of avoiding those odds just by cutting off my boobs and getting rid of my ovaries, I wouldn't hesitate.
That's right, and people have expendable body parts removed for different reasons. This mutated gene is a good reason and I would do it too.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:37 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,119,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
She has already had reconstructive surgery.
I have not read the full account of how her procedure was performed, but from the little bit that I have heard, her reconstruction was performed simultaneously with the removal of breast tissue. In other words, as they removed tissue, they were replacing it. That would have achieved her not having any moments of time when she would look down and not see herself as having breasts. So, from what I have gathered, the both procedures were seamlessly done...no pun intended.

As for her bravery in having this type of procedure, I think that the high percentage of her risk left her no choice, so bravery as far as I am concerned was not even an issue. That and the fact that she was able to afford the best of doctor's, nurses, medical staff and post-op homecare makes the choice that much easier than it would be for a woman who is not in Jolie's financial situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies