Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 05:52 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,228,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
This wasn't about Colorado's laws v. Texas' laws, it was about the poster I was quoting saying that if Canada's stats were a certain way, U.S. stats "must be" about the same.

Again. You don't find this statement ignorant?

Ridiculous. It's okay for a foreigner to liken Canada to the U.S. because of a line on a map, but a bit of sarcastic irony flies right over the ol' noggin.

Here, this link REALLY oughta confuse 'em.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:53 PM

237 posts, read 441,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Does any single woman want to marry me? We'll do it in Colorado, live there and I look forward to the special treatment later.

My fellow men, don't even bother debating this subject with many (not all) of the women here because the only way to win is GYOW as a single, not co-habiting with any woman and or getting her preggers and living well. It is what it is and the only thing to do is make lemonade out of the lemons.
The cost of raising a child in the United States is around a quarter million dollars from birth to age 18. Add that to getting half of your stuff ripped out from under you and you will be singing the blues down on the corner with Willie and the poor boys...

I say no thank you, no matter what state I'm in. I have dreams and aspirations, debt slavery is not one of them.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:55 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,228,809 times
Quote:
Does any single woman want to marry me? We'll do it in Colorado, live there and I look forward to the special treatment later.

My fellow men, don't even bother debating this subject with many (not all) of the women here because the only way to win is GYOW as a single, not co-habiting with any woman and or getting her preggers and living well. It is what it is and the only thing to do is make lemonade out of the lemons.

How about we just agree that only people who have actually had experience with marriage, divorce, etc., comment? This would relieve some of us the burden of having to educate clueless theorists about how real life works.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:57 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,216,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhopethismeeturstandard View Post
The cost of raising a child in the United States is around a quarter million dollars from birth to age 18. Add that to getting half of your stuff ripped out from under you and you will be singing the blues down on the corner with Willie and the poor boys...

I say no thank you, no matter what state I'm in. I have dreams and aspirations, debt slavery is not one of them.
Of course I was kidding about getting married in CO, and yes it's best for a man to not get married these days.

I ditto the NO THANK YOU especially to marriage 2.0.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:01 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,632,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Apparently you've never had teenage boys involved in equipment-heavy, injury-prone sports who also eat you out of house and home in addition to needing braces, leaving the lights on, using all the hot water in the shower, and going through a growth spurt so they grow two sizes in 8 months, much less in a suburb of an expensive city like New York or San Francisco.

And not for nothing, but if you REALLY want to get into all of this child custody stuff, you might want to ask yourself exactly what the custodial parent does that the other doesn't, like be there when a small child wakes up puking with a stomach virus or screaming from a nightmare in the middle of the night; overseeing all of the daily doings like getting dressed, brushing teeth, bathing, getting to the bus stop on time; arbitrating sibling and neighborhood spats; being the one to pile the kid into the car and take the kid to the ER when he or she falls out of a tree and breaks an arm; cleaning the kids' rooms if they are too small to do it; cooking the kids' food; doing the kids' laundry; and then the ever-present need to simply raise the kid to be a decent human being, reminding the kid to say please and thank you, teaching the kid right from wrong, disciplining the kid when the kid breaks a rule, dealing with teenage attitude. The other parent gets that what, one day a week? Every other weekend? Please. If it's a man, he's out there dating. I know, because I've dated the fathers. They're not staying home scraping by on ramen.

As for families, the only reason mine was there for my sister was because she had to move home because her ex, Mr. Moneybags, had to be hauled into court to pay for his own kids and she couldn't afford to both pay rent and keep food on the table on her then-minimum-wage job.

So spare us the make-believe. You sound like you have zero real-life experience with any of this.
If you imply extra health costs - that comes under different category and yes, the ex spouse is obliged by law to pay it, as far as I know. You just file up a request to reconsider the spouse paying for it and that's it.
It's similar with extra costs for childcare, or paying membership in karate club, etc.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
How about we just agree that only people who have actually had experience with marriage, divorce, etc., comment? This would relieve some of us the burden of having to educate clueless theorists about how real life works.
Well maybe because I've been the ears for the multitude (and I mean multitude) of men who went through marriage and divorce hell over the years which makes me qualified enough to comment imo.

I've heard enough for 2 lifetimes.

You have to understand that there's people here that have witnessed more than once others close to them who have gone through the ringer, so hence they'll have something to state.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:05 PM

599 posts, read 954,984 times
Quote:

The not cohabiting part is especially important in Colorado. On top of everything else, Colorado has the most lenient common-law statutes in the world. If you live together, share expenses, and can get ONE person to testify they heard you say you were married, you are now retroactively married in Colorado. That is an important point. You are RETROACTIVELY married back to whenever the person testifying claims they heard you say you were married. Of course, this means you are instantly on the hook to pay alimony. I posted a link earlier about such a situation.

Another incredible fact, this about child support in Colorado: lets say you have sex with a woman one night, and never see her again. Now, 25 years later, you get a summons to appear in court on a child support case. You never knew there was a child, and never saw the woman again after the one night stand.

The ADULT CHILD has the right to collect back child support back to the day of birth, with 8% compound interest added on from the day of birth. You now are instantly in debt for $100,000's, and the interest continues accruing at 8% on all back child support. Your payments are now over $1000 a month, just to pay the interest, and you will NEVER put a dent in the actual amount. You will pay child support until you die.

I know a woman who has been married to a guy for 12 years who found out two years ago that he had a child by a one night stand 21 years ago. They now are paying $1200 a month just on the interest on the child support. His wages are being garnished for the $1200 a month.

She is divorcing him over this.

Again, he *never* knew there was a child, and never had an opportunity to be in the child's life.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:05 PM

332 posts, read 436,751 times
Quote:

And get a vasectomy.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle43 View Post
And get a vasectomy.
Food for thought: With all the "whoopie-whoopie here" and "whoopie-whoopie there" that goes on the vasectomy even with a glove doesn't protect you 100% from possible getting STD's.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
The not cohabiting part is especially important in Colorado. On top of everything else, Colorado has the most lenient common-law statutes in the world. If you live together, share expenses, and can get ONE person to testify they heard you say you were married, you are now retroactively married in Colorado. That is an important point. You are RETROACTIVELY married back to whenever the person testifying claims they heard you say you were married. Of course, this means you are instantly on the hook to pay alimony. I posted a link earlier about such a situation.

Another incredible fact, this about child support in Colorado: lets say you have sex with a woman one night, and never see her again. Now, 25 years later, you get a summons to appear in court on a child support case. You never knew there was a child, and never saw the woman again after the one night stand.

The ADULT CHILD has the right to collect back child support back to the day of birth, with 8% compound interest added on from the day of birth. You now are instantly in debt for $100,000's, and the interest continues accruing at 8% on all back child support. Your payments are now over $1000 a month, just to pay the interest, and you will NEVER put a dent in the actual amount. You will pay child support until you die.

I know a woman who has been married to a guy for 12 years who found out two years ago that he had a child by a one night stand 21 years ago. They now are paying $1200 a month just on the interest on the child support. His wages are being garnished for the $1200 a month.

She is divorcing him over this.

Again, he *never* knew there was a child, and never had an opportunity to be in the child's life.
It's just a mess with nightmare possibilities for the adventurous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies