Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 03:13 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,424,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Obama has done a great job fixing the mess left behind by GWB and the Republicans. The obstructionists have to tried to sabotage his efforts, but they've failed.

The light at the end of the tunnel is almost in sight.
If he did then why does he have to keep pumping money into the economy to prop it up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 03:16 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
There is really no good reason for it... but don't be stupid and not take advantage of it... nice to see liberals loving capitalism while bashing it behind its back...

Old 05-17-2013, 03:17 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Seems to just keep booming and booming. What do you think is happening?
Yes, good of you to notice. Thank you President Obama!

Old 05-17-2013, 03:19 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Thanks all. I suppose I am comparing a leading indicator (stock market) with a lagging indicator (unemployment), they seemed a bit out of wack to me.

If all this money is sloshing around Wall Street, but companies won't hire because of low demand, isn't this just another way of saying inequality undermines the economy? When the middle class is strong the economy is typically strong. And if the bulk of society is in the tank and cannot consume, haven't we just proven that trickle down policies just kill the Golden Goose over time?
Trickle down economics doesn't have anything to do with what we have in the labor market; you have been shedding good paying jobs for decades. Globalization, the internet, automation, surplus of labor, and illegal immigration has alot more to do with the high unemployment rate. If an American company want an engineer they used to have to hire American engineers and now they can get one from India or Russia for a fraction of the cost. If a company want to produce here they buy robots. Add in the fact that companies are cutting hours down to 29 because that is now defined as full time and this is what we get.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:25 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
The Fed is printing $85B per month for many years now. It's all good until they stop printing and interest rates skyrocket.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:27 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,768,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Trickle down economics doesn't have anything to do with what we have in the labor market; you have been shedding good paying jobs for decades. Globalization, the internet, automation, surplus of labor, and illegal immigration has alot more to do with the high unemployment rate. If an American company want an engineer they used to have to hire American engineers and now they can get one from India or Russia for a fraction of the cost. If a company want to produce here they buy robots. Add in the fact that companies are cutting hours down to 29 because that is now defined as full time and this is what we get.
In my read of history, the last event is very much like the Great Depression, but with a different government response. Tremendous deregulation and cuts in top tax rates fueled massive bubbles, and the working people felt the full brunt of it. In the most recent case, we (US citizens and our government) felt compelled to bail out the slimeballs at the top, but they felt no need to help out those at the bottom. We left that to the "job creators." Allowing the wealthiest to earn fraudulent profits, then to bail them out on top of it, is basically to support system that robs from the poor and gives to the rich. That seems to be where we are at to me.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:27 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The Fed is printing $85B per month for many years now. It's all good until they stop printing and interest rates skyrocket.
Yep, I call late 2014. I hope nobody out there has a ARM.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:29 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Uncle Ben burning up the printing presses(notice fuel on the rise for no apparent reason?) combined with a stagnant government, which cannot medal in economical affairs.

380,000 first time unemployment filers this week. Still over a million a month first time filers for unemployment.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:31 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Yep, I call late 2014. I hope nobody out there has a ARM.
Or credit card debt.

Or IRS debt.

Think how much those Obamacare fines are going to ultimately cost the 20 somethings.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:38 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
In my read of history, the last event is very much like the Great Depression, but with a different government response. Tremendous deregulation and cuts in top tax rates fueled massive bubbles, and the working people felt the full brunt of it. In the most recent case, we (US citizens and our government) felt compelled to bail out the slimeballs at the top, but they felt no need to help out those at the bottom. We left that to the "job creators." Allowing the wealthiest to earn fraudulent profits, then to bail them out on top of it, is basically to support system that robs from the poor and gives to the rich. That seems to be where we are at to me.
That's called crony capitalism. The US gov decided that the banks posed a systematic risk to the economy and were vital, but they did not break them up to diversify the financial sector. There are definite similarities to now and the great depression, namely the loss of purchasing power. One area whee we have perverse incentives in our market is we tax normal companies and CEO's at regular rates, but we let people that run hedge funds and the like to be taxed at capital gain rates.

Congress doesn't even have to obey the insider trading rules, they exempted themselves (again) last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies