Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 04:59 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Neither did aids.....

Actually ADHD was first recognized by a british Doctor in 1902. I think his name was Dr Still? It was further researched as early as 1917.
You really don't want to go into my opinions on AIDs. I am at 0 risk for AIDs unless I get in a bike or car crash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 05:07 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Neither did aids.....

Actually ADHD was first recognized by a british Doctor in 1902. I think his name was Dr Still? It was further researched as early as 1917.
Modern science

Indeed, with modern science you can get smoke blown up your ass

Picture you’re living in 1780 or so. You are out ice skating, and you fall through the ice. You almost drown, but they pull you out and attempt to resuscitate you. But instead of giving you mouth-to-mouth (not to be mainstream until the middle of the 20th century), they pull down your britches and stick the tube of this bellows in your bum, blowing tobacco smoke into your…hindparts. Seems totally bizarre, right? It was thought that it would help warm the person, helping them recover easier. Aren’t you glad we told you that? And, now you know where the expression “blowing smoke up…” came from!

Scary Surgical and Medical Instruments | Bizarre Bytes

Old 05-22-2013, 02:01 AM

472 posts, read 570,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Man up and tell grandma that she will have no further contact with your child, that she is not welcome in your home in any way at any time, and that she will not see or harm your daughter again.
Your idea that you can change everything by force ... it doesn't work that way, and if you haven't learned that yet, you're in for a lesson.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:08 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I don't want to ask you what meds you were given.... I will tell you, you were lied to by a system that could not cope.

Back in the 50's i was beaten and sat in the trash at 4 years old in the 1st grade. I would turn 5 in late November. Back then that was good enough.

The reason I was beaten was because i was left handed. Back then that was a condition too. i was supposed to learn that i was trash because i was left handed.

They did succeed in making me ambi, as i now eat and write right handed mostly domestics that way and sporting wise i am still lefty except for pistols.

Turns out my son is lefty and you can bet it was not any condition after i went to the school and told them in no uncertain terms what would happen if i heard of anyone beating my kid or making him out to be trash. And his son is lefty too.

My x wife wanted my son on these drugs too, and because she couldn't cope with an active little boy. He sure was a hand full but there was nothing wrong with him.

And your notions of doctors is mostly hype. They are just doing a job, and are not Gods.

My son fell from a tree one day..... I was a Volvo tech, and called out from work to SIGN.

My now x was there in hysterics, the intern tried to get me to sign for exploratory surgery stating the spleen was bleeding.

I asked what is the child's blood pressure, and didn't like err ahh ummm we don't know, for an answer.

All hell broke loose on me then, with my wife of the time the nurses more inept interns and the god damned doctor, who i set straight fast.

I looked at him and said i want an ultrasond right friggin NOW JACK! and was ready to kill.
he said that tech wasn't available and so i said get him now, get a blood pressure test done and get a chopper to main med if you can't RIGHT NOW.

I called a cab and sent my wife HOME too. I just don't put up with BS ever.

So if you think you have a disorder because you can't pay attention well welcome to the friggin world where things are throw in your lap faster than the human mind can deal with it vi o la from the govt..

Humans were not meant to slave for a place to sleep and for food to eat.... Cave men had life easier than we do.

Or are you the wimpy girlieboy type, and need a excuse to cry on? I am asking this time.. take care how you answer that.

All the time as a tech i was told how stupid techs were, and of course how easy it is to fix cars.

But doctors were gods.... Well at the time just volvo had 48 models around the world and they changed each 6 months, but man has been almost the same for 65 million years. In the 1860's they found out from modern science than if a surgeon washed his hands between hacking limbs off patients tended to live a little longer.
The funny thing was i git invited to a lot of parties where doctors were and they made party life hell asking all about what was wrong with their cars.

Your condition is BS. Time to grab the bull by the horns and deal with life.
1. I remember gapping points with a matchbook cover, I can fix a car. I can replace a fwd transaxle, rebuild an engine or tranny. I was an EN, then converted to MM in the U.S. Navy, where I worked on engines like the Fairbanks Morse 38 ND 8 1/8. NOW, I am a network engineer for computers. Better pay, less grease. I can still fix a car.

2. I can also read, learn and comprehend, without being blind to something, just because I don't believe it.

3. I hope you can do the same, if ADHD is a made up disorder, why is the pet scan of the brain of an adhd child or adult different than a normal brain?

Here's a neat trick, instead of trying to deny it, why not read up on it like you were going to defend it, and do some real learning. It actually IS a problem, for some FEW, who really have it. And those who DO have it, no amount of beatings or rules will help.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:14 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97701 View Post
Your idea that you can change everything by force ... it doesn't work that way, and if you haven't learned that yet, you're in for a lesson.
What force? Are you incapable of taking a stand? Time to tell Grandma (calmly and firmly) that because her behavior is toxic she is no longer welcome to interact with the family and continue to cause/exacerbate the damage she has caused in the past. I did that with my own mother for five years with my child, until she adjusted her attitude and habits, and she knows she's on a lifetime probation. Or are you of the opinion that "family is family" and all behaviors, no matter how damaging, must be tolerated from anyone you or your children happen to share DNA with? It's up to the parents to protect their children at any cost from those who would cause harm, including grandma.

Quote:
My little girl has autism, and her grandmother makes thing worse by telling my daughter how weird she is.
This would earn someone a quick trip out of my house, never to return.

We're getting off topic....

Last edited by Workin_Hard; 05-22-2013 at 04:23 AM..

Old 05-22-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
But stronger disciplinary habits, including but not limited to reasonable spankings, would do a lot to screen out the false cases.
It may. A pet scan would do more, as would a few trips to a neuropsychologist. Having raised 2 kids whi actually HAD adhd, diagnosed by a TRUE professional, and treated not just with medication, BUT also trips to a neuropsychologist, and a psychiatrist, trained to help kids learn to deal with the problem so that one day they may not need any medication.

Without it, the adhd kids are labeled "BAD", or "Problem Child", troublemaker, no self control, etc etc. Other parents tell their kids to not be around with, or don't play with "That kid". Teachers send them to the principals office for disciplinary action all the time.

A child who truly has adhd, cannot control their actions. They are more likely to act on impulse than anyone else, not because they want to, and definitely not due to lack of discipline, but because that area of the brain that allows them to maintain self control is working at a capacity much slower than the rest of their brain. Think 10 year old with the self control of a 2 year old.

The medication helps that area of the brain process the way it should, and since ritalin is an amphetamine, you can believe it isn't tranquilizing these kids. It does however allow them to better control themselves, and that along with the properly medical followups with the proper doctors, will help them learn to one day function without meds.

I will say it again, for the child who is truly ADHD, not allowing the meds, AND proper treatment by a trained medical professional who works with ADHD children, is in fact child abuse. You are doing your child a disservice, by not allowing them treatment that would let them live NORMAL lives.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
Actually, they proved that the first person that died from AIDS was back in the 1950s. That was reported many, many years ago. Do keep up.

1930s
  • Researchers estimate that sometime in the 1930s a form of simian immunodeficiency virus, SIV, jumped to humans in central Africa. The mutated virus became the first human immunodeficiency virus, HIV-1.[1]
X-ray showing infection with Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia.

• The first known case of HIV in a human occurs in a person who died in the Congo, later confirmed as having HIV infection from his preserved blood samples.[2][3] The authors of the study did not sequence a full virus from his samples, writing that "attempts to amplify HIV-1 fragments of >300 base pairs (bp) were unsuccessful ... However, after numerous attempts, four shorter sequences were obtained"; these represented small portions of two of the six genes of the complete HIV genome.[3]
  • June 28, in New York City, Ardouin Antonio, a 49-year-old Jamaican-American shipping clerk dies of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia, a disease closely associated with AIDS. Gordon Hennigar, who performed the postmortem examination of the man's body, found "the first reported instance of unassociated Pneumocystis carinii disease in an adult" to be so unusual that he preserved Ardouin's lungs for later study. The case was published in two medical journals at the time, and Hennigar has been quoted in numerous publications saying that he believes Ardouin probably had AIDS
You however prove my point. While it may have been discovered, it wasn't known as AIDS at that time, it was something that someone noted and investigated. Same with ADHD, and it;s evolving diagnosis, and treatment.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Do you equate discipline with abuse?
No, in another post, he tells us what happened. Physical violence such as punching and choking are abuse, or do you consider these actions, discipline?

Old 05-22-2013, 05:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Probably because common sense still has some sway in the country.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...dont-have-adhd
could it be the testing means or maybe who is labeled depending on the country or too many teachers and parents deciding a pill and a label work better than true discipline? Another thought: they live on wine and cheese: maybe they come to school half smashed because of their morning breakfast?

who knows and what difference does it really make? It is just another useless study and report.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:20 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
I can't link from my phone, but there was an article in late March about an interview with Eisenberg prior to his death where the father of ADHD says its a fictitious malady. He went on to explain how it came to be a diagnosis and how more than half of those occurring had direct financial ties to the pharmaceutical industry.

He was saying that the 1 in 10 diagnoses for boys was completely unfounded by science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies