Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,567,393 times

Advertisements

The Republican party, already more unpopular than cockroaches, has hit an all time low in the eyes of Americans. A new CNN poll has found a worsening of the GOP's tattared image amid their fake scandal stunt against the President. Here is an excerpt summarizing America's distrust of Republicans in the new poll:

Quote:
... But views of the GOP have moved in the opposite direction. Fifty-nine percent of Americans have an unfavorable opinion of the Republican Party, tying the all-time record for negative views of the GOP. That's a five-point increase since March, and raises the possibility that the public... might be put off by the way the party has been making its point. Favorable ratings for the Democratic Party are up six points in that same time.
In a week that was supposed to be the worse of Obama's Presidency (or so Republicans hope), Republicans are the ones who emerged bruised. Americans must really hate the GOP... or reality does indeed have a liberal bias.

Source

Old 05-20-2013, 04:46 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,303,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
The Republican party, already more unpopular than cockroaches, has hit an all time low in the eyes of Americans. A new CNN poll has found a worsening of the GOP's tattared image amid their fake scandal stunt against the President. Here is an excerpt summarizing America's distrust of Republicans in the new poll:

In a week that was supposed to be the worse of Obama's Presidency (or so Republicans hope), Republicans are the ones who emerged bruised. Americans must really hate the GOP... or reality does indeed have a liberal bias.

Source
Look, no one likes the conservative party, not even conservatives like the conservative party.

conservative voters are mostly anti- other Americans and certain causes, and the conservative party is anti a lot of groups of Americans and certain causes. This is the appeal of the conservative party to conservative voters.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Look, no one likes the conservative party, not even conservatives like the conservative party.

conservative voters are mostly anti- other Americans and certain causes, and the conservative party is anti a lot of groups of Americans and certain causes. This is the appeal of the conservative party to conservative voters.
Republicans in my opinion seems to be defined by hate. Everything that they stand for seems to be against this or that. They believe in exclusivity and that some people are born more deserving than others. They just seem anti-human from the average person's point of view.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:03 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,160,673 times
Hardly surprising. The voters who determine elections are not going to care all that much about the IRS targeting Tea Parties or spying on the press. That's too bad, because those are issues worth caring about. Unfortunately, when you cry wolf so many times, normal people tune it out, even when it's legitimate stuff. They devote so much time to nonsense that it drowns out things that all of us should care about.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:08 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Their approach sure seems like political suicide. They are trying to deflect from real issues, even the positive ones like booming Wall Street, housing recover etc. I just can't see what they are trying to accomplish

Old 05-20-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Hardly surprising. The voters who determine elections are not going to care all that much about the IRS targeting Tea Parties or spying on the press. That's too bad, because those are issues worth caring about. Unfortunately, when you cry wolf so many times, normal people tune it out, even when it's legitimate stuff. They devote so much time to nonsense that it drowns out things that all of us should care about.
A better analysis of the situation I have not seen in these parts. You hit the nail on the head. If Republicans weren't so vitriolic and hyperbolic in their hatred towards Obama since he took office in 2008, people would take them more serious. It seems like the rest of America has become immune to Republican hyperbolic rhetoric.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:27 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,411,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Their approach sure seems like political suicide. They are trying to deflect from real issues, even the positive ones like booming Wall Street, housing recover etc. I just can't see what they are trying to accomplish

Stocks and houses are values in US dollars that lose value every day.

If you believe that a higher paper money price indicates a corresponding increase in wealth, you're one dim bulb.

An Historic Look At the Gold/Dollar Ratio - Seeking Alpha

Old 05-20-2013, 05:28 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,160,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Republicans in my opinion seems to be defined by hate. Everything that they stand for seems to be against this or that. They believe in exclusivity and that some people are born more deserving than others. They just seem anti-human from the average person's point of view.
Yes, unfortunately that is the path the GOP has taken. It was not always that way. Even going back 15 or 20 years, you still had a healthy number of moderates who held positions palatable to most normal Americans.

I've told this before, but I'll repeat it. Both my grandfather and great-grandfather were registered Republicans. My great-grandfather was such a staunch Republican that even though he despised Nixon, he just couldn't bring himself to pull the lever for a Democrat. He came home and explained that his hand "slipped" and he accidentally voted for Nixon. Their positions were simple: Support business, keep taxes and spending at a reasonable level and have good government. But there were other things, too. This was never said explicitly. It didn't need to be stated explicitly: You don't denigrate poor people. Both of them were pillars of the community. That included helping out the less fortunate regularly. It involved this simple principle: Not one of us is better than anyone else. They lived by that principle. What we have now is just plain nastiness.

Do you remember Jack Kemp? For a long time before he died, I wondered aloud why certain members of the Reagan Administration along the lines of Dick Cheney emerged as leaders, while guys like Jack Kemp or Bruce Herschenson did not. Jack Kemp was interesting. He was probably the last Republican I recall who could walk into South Central LA and talk to the people there and not have it be like some staged photo-op. He'd go in and talk about enterprise zones and building black entrepreneurship. In a million years, he would never spew out this "47%" garbage. It was all optimistic and about how to lift people up. Instead, we get a bunch of spineless, brainless bozos pandering to prejudiced ignoramuses. I don't get it. The day the GOP starts getting things like this is the day they will become relevant again to thinking, tolerant Americans.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:33 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,411,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post

Well of course conservatives are unpopular with the 50+% of Americans who are presently looting the treasury.

Conservatives are the wet blankets who want to stop the Democrats from giving away money stolen from our children.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Another point is that it is hard to tarnish a presidency during good economic times. Republicans also learned this the hard way during the Clinton years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies