Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 05:40 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times

Advertisements

Do you think most common people really care what happens to the environment? It's kind of saddening that most people are so involved in their own lives: their job, raising their family.etc, which is fine, but few actually think globally to try to halt climate change, deforestation, extinction. On one hand I don't blame us as we can often feel powerless, and corporations often seem so hard to stop. It just makes one cynical about everything, but I don't think we should stop doing what we can to make things better.

I do basic things like recycling, donating to conservative NGO's etc, and when I do have a house of my own I would like to rely on sustainable/renewable energy, but deep down I think we weren't to designed to think globally and with our current lifestyle the world we know it is doomed. At the very least it will be the end of civilisation.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:45 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,797,604 times
THIS IS THE NUMBER ONE FAILURE OF "THE ENVIRONMENTAL MOVEMENT."

You are correct. People don't care about the environment when it is phrased as something "out there" instead of where we all live and breathe.

But, when people realize that humans won't be able to live on a planet as poisoned as we are making it, that attitude will change.

The big question is, will it be too late?

The slogan shouldn't be "Save the Whales.'

It should be "Save Us." Or "Save Our Children."

And a mythical zombie or Sky-Daddy ain't going to save us. We have to save ourselves.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:48 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do you think most common people really care what happens to the environment? It's kind of saddening that most people are so involved in their own lives: their job, raising their family.etc, which is fine, but few actually think globally to try to halt climate change, deforestation, extinction. On one hand I don't blame us as we can often feel powerless, and corporations often seem so hard to stop. It just makes one cynical about everything, but I don't think we should stop doing what we can to make things better.

I do basic things like recycling, donating to conservative NGO's etc, and when I do have a house of my own I would like to rely on sustainable/renewable energy, but deep down I think we weren't to designed to think globally and with our current lifestyle the world we know it is doomed. At the very least it will be the end of civilisation.
Trimac, most of what you are saying is typical anti-human propaganda designed to make you feel like ****. It's no accident, either. "Climate change" is not an issue, never was, and never will. I'm much more concnered about industrial pollutants in our air and water, not CO2. Those are real environmental concerns, 75% of so-called environmental concerns are hot air or have some profit motive behind them, green energy being one of them.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:00 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,369,252 times
I do and I hope most other do to. I'm old enough to remember what the air quality was here in the USA prior to regulations. Air and water quality are just to important to ignore.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:00 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Most people do care what happens to the earth, in the abstract. Where you run into resistance is when environmentalism affects people directly. NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) is just as prevalent today as it was in the 1970s. The "climate change" movement wants people to fundamentally change their lifestyle in the hopes that doing so will somehow have an effect on a phenomenon that hasn't even be proven to actually exist yet.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:17 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Of course most people "care about the earth". However, most intelligent people do not accept and digest garbage theories (like global warming) which has no impact "on the earth" and can be very damaging to the US economy.

There is a difference between compassion and idiocy. However, for many leftist groups, they go hand in hand.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:35 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
And a mythical zombie or Sky-Daddy ain't going to save us. We have to save ourselves.

Maybe if you did not insult the religious beliefs of the majority of the population they might listen to what you have to say.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Most people do care what happens to the earth, in the abstract. Where you run into resistance is when environmentalism affects people directly. NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) is just as prevalent today as it was in the 1970s. The "climate change" movement wants people to fundamentally change their lifestyle in the hopes that doing so will somehow have an effect on a phenomenon that hasn't even be proven to actually exist yet.
That's the real test of whether they truly care. Whether they'd a V8 or SUV they don't really need or not.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,215,334 times
People need to address how we deal with issues regarding the environment, It is not that we need to save the Earth, the Earth is just fine. Take for Example the planet Mercury, it has a surface temperature that of molten rock/lead As far as human life is concerned it will not support human life, but the planet Mercury is just fine all by its self. What we need to address is if we keeping going the way we are going, most likely we will make the Earth not habitable for the human population. So we should be moving to if you want to still and breath on planet Earth, then we need to change what and how we are interacting with the environment.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:27 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
It is very sad. One thing that doesn't seem to be mentioned often is the death of bees all over the World.

I remember reading that 1 out of every 3 bites of food is directly or indirectly pollinated by bees and we are losing about half of the World's bees every two years and nobody seems to know why.

US approves new pesticides linked to mass bee deaths as EU enacts ban ? RT USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies